Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Corvus

Country flag
Can anyone enlighten me about which special forces/unit do these guys belong to or even if they are Indian.

P.S. I would love to know the vehicle name too.

armyofhind

Country flag
Can anyone enlighten me about which special forces/unit do these guys belong to or even if they are Indian.

P.S. I would love to know the vehicle name too.
Yes they are Indian. The belong to Para SF most probably 10 Para SF.

The vehicles are Polaris Quad Bikes most probably.

Gessler

Country flag
Can't seem to find it now but I believe I've read in previous posts here on this thread that stuff like the panoramic night vision goggles are exclusive to US Tier-1 units...I'm posting a collection of images here in an attempt to dispel that misconception:

An incomplete list of users of the L-3 Communications' GPNVG-18 panoramic quad-tube NOD, outside of the US:

German KSK

German GSG-9

DrVNKzxX4AASc91.jpg

Italian "Colonel Moschin" Paras

South Korean KNP-SOU (Police special action unit)

Turkish SAS (Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal)

Turkish Gendarmerie (Armed/Military Police) SOF

Ukrainian SSO

French RAID counter-terrorism unit

Note: this is not a complete list. There are many more users from more countries.

The crux of the matter however is...are these panoramic NODs the cutting edge? Nope - 10 years ago they were. Not anymore. Today it's a listed product - available for international export (subject to ITAR limitations of course, just like all other weapon systems are, to varying levels).

Even Bangalore-based Tonbo Imaging offers a panoramic NOD now:

These aren't really as much of a holy grail as people might think. Sure, these were cutting-edge stuff only accessible to JSOC Tier-1 perhaps 10-12 years ago, back when no non-essential person even had an inkling of their existence. But the tech is way past that period. Typically, Tier-1 has access to military tech that the rest of the world simply does not get to know about for the next ~10 years at least.

So what is the absolute cutting-edge in Tier-1 armory Today? - We don't hold the slightest clue.

Gessler

Country flag
This more or less sums up the entire conversation about the equipment levels of Indian SF's.
We have a reason to be secretive about stuff that even countries like Ukraine or Somalia can get their hands on?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Wisemarko

Country flag
We have a reason to be secretive about stuff that even countries like Ukraine or Somalia can get their hands on?

Doesn't make sense to me.
India is secretive where there is no need eg: not letting anyone onboard P-8I (USN and Australian Navy give routine tours on them) or not showing SF gear or inside of most weapon platforms (while OEM post YouTube videos on them!). But not secretive about border ops, casualty reports, incident reports and other operational details where such revelations affect only adversely.

Gessler

Country flag
India is secretive where there is no need eg: not letting anyone onboard P-8I (USN and Australian Navy give routine tours on them) or not showing SF gear or inside of most weapon platforms (while OEM post YouTube videos on them!). But not secretive about border ops, casualty reports, incident reports and other operational details where such revelations affect only adversely.
Correct, however secrecy with regard to equipment that one wears on their person is not easy to 'cordon off'. That would only be possible if no one with a camera were to be allowed anywhere near where SFs are operating. Not easy to enforce in your own country.

When Sunjuwan Army camp was attacked, Paras came. Everyone saw them and everyone saw what they were wearing or equipped with. You can't hide that, not in this country. If we were sending Paras to operate inside of PoK, then yes, there is significant chance we don't know what is the gear being used as one is not likely to get media coverage of those ops. But we DO get significant media coverage of Paras conducting CT operations inside of J&K.

MuzzleVelocity

I think someone here posted an image of fully geared SG operators wielding FN Scars, way back in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles