Indian Sniper Equipment & Tactics

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Kunal its heard that there are some drugs used by snipers across world to control the heart beat to get a clear shot in long ranges. Is there some thing in use in India?
Also please compare SVD with other snipers in uses like PSG and Galatz& SVDk? Is the ammunition used in SVD sniper grade or the same ones used in PKMs?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal its heard that there are some drugs used by snipers across world to control the heart beat to get a clear shot in long ranges. Is there some thing in use in India?
Not in IA..

Also please compare SVD with other snipers in uses like PSG and Galatz& SVDk? Is the ammunition used in SVD sniper grade or the same ones used in PKMs?
PSG & Galatz have option of scopes and they are not heavy and longer as SVD..

PKM rounds, Sniper grade rounds are hard even in Russian Army itself..

Immanuel

Country flag

K Factor

A Concerned Indian

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
you will get an understanding of why I mentioned it to not considered as a true sniper system.
In that sense no sniper rifle with automatic feed can be called a true sniper rifle..

That is true..

Killswitch

Country flag
I have yet to see a single Lynx being used by our personnel. I wonder if anybody has pics?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No you are wrong kunal pkm is the lightest among the three and its shorter than PSg.
PKM is a GPMG..

Afaik SVD is longer than both and heavy coz of the longer barrel and wooden furniture..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
PKM is a GPMG..

Afaik SVD is longer than both and heavy coz of the longer barrel and wooden furniture..
Sorry actually I was busy with something else and wrote it wrong as Pkm instead of SVd.Actually I was referring that svd is lighter than both by approx 2 kgs and is shorter than PsG by 40mm .
Got the info from wikipedia.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I did not read the whole thread, but how good is IA at sniper training? Also, how many sniper units do you think they have?
There are no Sniper training in IA but Marksman training..

For Sniper training one have to go outside and those get training train here in marksman training only..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The M107 is used by Mumbai Police Force One Commandos.

[video=youtube_share;7uNKflwUTH0]http://youtu.be/7uNKflwUTH0[/video]

DivineHeretic

Country flag
IMHO snipers will remain a rare commodity in the IA for the forseable future because the terrain where the army usually works in does not enable long range sniping.
Outside the plains facing Pak,and to a lesser extent in some areas facing China, the terrain is either covered in forest or is a mountaineous landscape,where line of sight is fairly limited, and a M4 equivalent rifle will be enough to take medium range shots.
Another problem for Snipers in the modern battlefield is that their camoflage is restricted to the VIBGYOR spectrum, while they remain exposed in the IR/thermal spectrum. Until thermal camo becomes a possibility, it would be difficult for snipers to sneak up on properly defended locations especially wrt to the fact that US is providing several HHTI to pak army for CI ops and also the PLA whose thermal systems remain an unknown.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are qualified Snipers ( From US & Germany ) in IA mostly in PARA these individual also train others in Sniper Hub, In real terrain one perfect its skills..

Snipers are used over every where, Including Jungles..

-------------------------

I will post some new photos shortly on Sniper in Jungle and desert..

I'd be glab to be corrected. But this is probably the only justifiable reason for lack of sniper schools.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
F-INSAS ideas for a 3 man sniper team...

Team Leader : (.50 BMG/.416 Barrett)
All range Anti-Material : Barrett M82A3 .50BMG
Long range Anti-Personnel : Same Barrett M82A3 with a conversion kit to fire the Barrett .416

Sniper : (7.62x51mm)
Medium range Anti-Personnel : LWRC SABR 308 with 20" upper receiver & day/night long distance scopes
Protection and Security : Same LWRC SABR 308 with 12" upper receiver & ACOG/Reflex sights

Observer : (5.56X45mm)
Squad Support : H&K M27 IAR + Beta C-Mag + ACOG/Reflex sights

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles