Indian Sniper Equipment & Tactics

AshutoshNSingh

Re: Snipers matching fire with fire.

Lack of adequate training producing bad Army snipers is an issue of concern.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

"No snipers in IA, only shooters", "4500 sniper rifles but no genuine snipers!"......
Expert comments Indian Army snipers: https://twitter.com/AshutoshNSingh/status/216869034463997952
Lack of adequate training producing bad Army snipers is an issue of concern.
IA dont have any Sniper School but have Sniper hub in MHOW where Infantry are trained..

Btw, Bad Sniper is something i cannot agree on, They are good marksman indeed..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
IA dont have any Sniper School but have Sniper hub in MHOW where Infantry are trained..

IA and paramilitarys like Crpf and assam rifles which engage extensively in CT ops should look seriously into setting up a dedicated sniper school and should utilize it to produce some real snipers than dedicated marksmans .In squad level ops nothing beats a dragunov but for deep penetration covert ops you need bolt action snipers which need specially
trained men.Long ranged ones could be utilized to take out high profile targets inside enemy strongholds just simply by sending a two man team of sniper spotter combo.This way we could take down many top leaders of maoists,NE factions and militants of J&k.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

I was watching videos shared by Ewald lately. Counter Sniping is one of the tougher parts of the Sniping job. Its like a spin bowler bowling to another spin bowler. Both know the art first hand. Sorry about the funny example, couldn't think of a better one right now :p

SPIEZ

Country flag

What is the actual difference between a marksman and a sniper, and I believe it just won't be the gun they use or the distance they shoot.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

.In squad level ops nothing beats a dragunov but for deep penetration covert ops
IA Sniper are used inside our own zone hunting tangos and enemy troops who provide them cover fire, One team hunts the tangos the other covers them from enemy sniper, Just like in any other army..

SVD is good even in Sniping ops & there is one other which is a monster..

Vidhwansak, this is the one hunt and kill enemy snipers..
Its a good combination..

K Factor

A Concerned Indian

Vidhwansak, this is the one hunt and kill enemy snipers..
Kunal - Vidhwanshak is not a true sniper weapon, its an anti-material rifle which can be used for sniper operations from preset positions.
For counter sniper operations, it is too heavy to be carried around easily. It neutralizes the mobility of the sniper team.
Even the Dragunov is not a true sniper system. It is more of a marksman rifle.

The most important aspect of sniper/counter sniper operations is training. Do we have dedicated sniper training institutions in India?

Also, what is the model applied in Indian operations? Do we employ two man sniper/spotter teams with interchangeable roles?

IMO, we need something like this combined with better dedicated sniper training and support equipment such as night scopes and spotting equipment.
Accuracy International Arctic Warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AshutoshNSingh

IA Sniper are used inside our own zone hunting tangos and enemy troops who provide them cover fire, One team hunts the tangos the other covers them from enemy sniper, Just like in any other army..

SVD is good even in Sniping ops & there is one other which is a monster..

Its a good combination..
vidhwansak is as heavy as a NSV 12.7mm HMG. Better they opt for a lighter AMR.

AshutoshNSingh

being a good marksman doesn't necessarily make one a good sniper, as it needs much more than just shooting skills to become one.

Sniper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal - Vidhwanshak is not a true sniper weapon, its an anti-material rifle which can be used for sniper operations from preset positions.
For counter sniper operations, it is too heavy to be carried around easily. It neutralizes the mobility of the sniper team.
Even the Dragunov is not a true sniper system. It is more of a marksman rifle.

The most important aspect of sniper/counter sniper operations is training. Do we have dedicated sniper training institutions in India?

Also, what is the model applied in Indian operations? Do we employ two man sniper/spotter teams with interchangeable roles?

IMO, we need something like this combined with better dedicated sniper training and support equipment such as night scopes and spotting equipment.
Accuracy International Arctic Warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^^ You missed this..

These AMR are used to kill enemy snipers at longer distances even a Barret..

vidhwansak is as heavy as a NSV 12.7mm HMG. Better they opt for a lighter AMR.
Vidhwansak is heavy and it is carry in parts..

For lighter version there is no for regulars but SF use Gepard..

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
^^ You missed this..
These AMR are used to kill enemy snipers at longer distances even a Barret..
Vidhwansak is heavy and it is carry in parts..
For lighter version there is no for regulars but SF use Gepard..
I didn't miss it. You are probably missing what I am trying to convey here. Vidhwanshak is good for firing from fixed good positions from within our own lines, but is too heavy to carry into the dynamic environment a sniper will be required to operate in enemy territory.
Dragunov is rated the worst among sniper rifles, heck it is not even considered a 'proper sniper rifle' by international accuracy standards.

What is Gepard?
I searched it and got this as the first result !

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
but is too heavy to carry into the dynamic environment a sniper will be required to operate in enemy territory, Dragunov is rated the worst among sniper rifles, heck it is not even considered a 'proper sniper rifle' by international accuracy standards.

What is Gepard?
I agree on that, But i am doubtful regarding accuracy standards of SVD any link where it said so..

Gepard Lynx, Its quite popular..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Dragunov is rated the worst among sniper rifles, heck it is not even considered a 'proper sniper rifle' by international accuracy standards.

What is Gepard?
Kommunist SVD shoots straight and accuarate just like PSG or M14.if you are telling svd is not a true sniper then how could you describe M14DMR?Its true that svds are not accurate as those bolt action snipers OT there just because SVDs are semi auto and most usually the issued rounds are not sniper grade.The only flaw with it is the scope of it which is a trouble maker for a shooter.It regains the reliability of kalashnikovs and cheap too. Its true that vidhvansaks are too heavy at 20kg weight and is a liability but it could fire 20mm rounds which could penetrate any fortress:p

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

What is the actual difference between a marksman and a sniper, and I believe it just won't be the gun they use or the distance they shoot.
US Army has Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert levels of qualitication for service rifle. A sniper would have extensive turther
training in weapon- and fieldcraft.

Reactions: Kay

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I agree on that, But i am doubtful regarding accuracy standards of SVD any link where it said so..

Did the SF uses any bolt action ones?I had seen a news paper pic of Sp66 with BSF in a counter insurgency ops also Nsg too had been heard to be using mauses.but nothing heard from army or CRPF.also please tell. does the Crpf has sniper rifles like SVds coz never seen them in their hand .

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Trying to find a reliable link.

Nice, always liked sniper rifles with Bull-pup design. BTW, I see the muzzle brake and flash suppressor at the end of the barrel - so I would presume there is not provision for a silencer or are they interchangeable (I mean is the MB and FS screw on or fixed)?
Well, actually NSG uses PSG-1 which has the provision of a silencer.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Did the SF uses any bolt action ones?I had seen a news paper pic of Sp66 with BSF in a counter insurgency ops also Nsg too had been heard to be using mauses.but nothing heard from army or CRPF.also please tell. does the Crpf has sniper rifles like SVds coz never seen them in their hand .
BSF use some different type of Bolt action, IA use SP66 in dedicated Sniper Units but SVD is fav, PARA SF use galil Sniper Rifle..

May be cobra commandos use some kind of Sniper Rifle..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Trying to find a reliable link.

Nice, always liked sniper rifles with Bull-pup design. BTW, I see the muzzle brake and flash suppressor at the end of the barrel - so I would presume there is not provision for a silencer or are they interchangeable (I mean is the MB and FS screw on or fixed)?
Well, actually NSG uses PSG-1 which has the provision of a silencer.
Psg is 7.62mm for which there are silencers OT there but gepard is not a 7.62 but a 12.7 if iam correct or in a caliber higher to it.And for such weapons silencers are a matter not heard before and what good a silencer would bring to an antimaterial rifle other than increased weight and reduced accuracy?one more thing such weapons are used in long ranges where detecting the shooter is not easy.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles