Indian Sniper Equipment & Tactics

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
can SG551 also be used as sniper weapon as imi galil ?
5.56 rifles in the role of Designated Marksman rifles are not much effective due to the low power of 5.56ammo plus sniper grade ammo for 5.56 are not common.Due to this reasons SIG had disbanded the production of its sniper varianT, the SG550

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
Does spotter usually wear ghillie suit as well?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ghillie suit was introduce recently in 2011 only, I see only the shooter, In Regular Army there is no concept of Snipers but only marksman ..

My knowledge could be a little outdated ..

^^
Does spotter usually wear ghillie suit as well?

hitesh

The Gun That Aims Itself (Documentary) - YouTube

Pretty soon no shooting skills will be required from the Marksman
When the American first started using BVR missiles may people claimed that it will nullify the requirement for close quarter maneuverability & cannons in the fighter jets but soon in Vietnam war this myth was busted .
Your comments remind me off the above story .

hitesh

Ghillie suit was introduce recently in 2011 only, I see only the shooter, In Regular Army there is no concept of Snipers but only marksman ..

The SVD is not a true sniper rifle ,I may be off the topic but at current situation our both enemies seems to have better Sniper weapons .IA's Doctrine does't emphasis much on full use of Sniper. SVD and Galil are good but they should start using higher caliber weapons(50cal sniper)for dealing with stand off in J&K so we could shoot pak army rats hiding in bunkers and fear from the presence of sniper in the area is worse than facing MMG fire.

abingdonboy

Country flag

@Kunal Biswas just because the Sniper uses a Marskmen's rifle (the SVD) doesn't make him a Marksmen- it is about how they are used and their role. When they are sat in a hole wearing a Ghllie suit and operating alone with their spotter then they are a Sniper, a Markmen will be an infantry member part of a Infantry Squad/Fireteam who patrols and conducts regular duties with them. You are right about there being a lack of a Sniper culture in the IA but this has surely changed and the IA is very much looking to expand the SNIPER (not the Marksmen) role in its units. There was a time when you'd only find snipers in the IA with SFs- no more.

I have a little insider knowledge about these things....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kay

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It would be really nice, And welcome in practice ..

Though i have not heard or seen, Dedicated sniper teams in regular ..

[MENTION=4163]I have a little insider knowledge about these things....

hitesh

Snipers are actually a very different breed they require stamina to survive walking long distance undetected with no contact with core team for many days .
There SOP for engaging an enemy is very different form normally infantry personnel who are taught to shoot at the very first site of enemy.
I remember the words of an american Sniper school trainer where he was speaking about unlearning many lessons taught at infantry school before grasping sniper tactics i was amazed by the minute details the take in account when selecting there observation point as they say "your best observation point will be enemy's first point to search for possible sniper presence , so they have to make a balance between it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In that sense even 50cal is also low powered compare to 20mm or even a 40mm ..

DMR roles are mostly over medium to short ranges that is 1.5 kms at most, INSAS as DMR are being where they can engage 600-800ms without issues ..

5.56 rifles in the role of Designated Marksman rifles are not much effective due to the low power of 5.56ammo plus sniper grade ammo for 5.56 are not common.Due to this reasons SIG had disbanded the production of its sniper varianT, the SG550

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They are still Marksman as being part of an Squad of mix roles ..

This does not qualify them for sniper as they are depended on the respective squad ..

Sniper teams are isolated and have there own objectives and independent ..

[MENTION=4163]When they are sat in a hole wearing a Ghllie suit and operating alone with their spotter then they are a Sniper, a Markmen will be an infantry member part of a Infantry Squad/Fireteam who patrols and conducts regular duties with them..

The Fox

Do any one know what happened to this RFP
Army hunts for new sniper rifles for infantry battalions
The army is on the hunt for new sniper rifles for its infantry battalions as part of its plan to replenish old stocks and upgrade the existing guns. The army's search has generated keen interest in the global arms market as major gun manufacturers from Switzerland, Israel and Russia are looking to supply the rifles.

Currently, our infantry battalions use Russian Dragunov sniper rifles. The army is yet to specify the number of guns it is going to buy, but officials said it would need more than 2,000 rifles for its large number of infantry battalions. According to officials, sniper rifles have an offensive as well as defensive role. In defence roles, soldiers are deployed on key locations to strike.

The guns are useful in anti-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and in urban warfare too.

The army has been searching for new guns for quite some time now.

The officials said a number of companies had responded to the information sought by the army, such as specifications of the weapons, including the calibre, type of vision device and other qualities. The Russian Dragunov sniper rifles, a 7.62 mm weapon, were first introduced in the 1960s and have performed well.

They are still being used on a large scale in India and are being produced locally, under licence. Apart from Dragunov, the special forces use the Galil sniper rifle.

Considering that the Indian Army's modernisation plan is lagging behind, there is a sense of urgency in getting the new weapons.

The defence ministry has put its weight behind the move to fasttrack purchases. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), the top body for weapon purchases, in its Friday meeting is expected to take up key projects for the three forces. In its recent meetings, the DAC has been trying to ensure that pending projects should be given a push. The sense of urgency in upgrading equipment came after ex-army chief Gen. V.K Singh pointed out critical deficiencies in the army's battle-preparedness.

Read more at: Army hunts for new sniper rifles for infantry battalions : North, News - India Today

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles