Indian Railways News

plugwater

Doesn't work that way. Mumbai/Maharashtra pay the highest taxes in the country. Been there to see what they have?
Nope. But that does not justifies the sorry state of railways in south.

pmaitra

Forget all these corridor until Trinamool holds railway ministry. How about we spend the money we get from a zone only in that zone?
Well, historically speaking, the Railways generated money from regions of high mineral wealth. One example would be the Bengal-Nagpur Railway and East Indian Railway harnessing the iron ore and coal in this region. All the money generated from the Chhota-Nagpur plateau region was not invested only in this region but in other parts of India as well. The Railways does have a social responsibility.

If money from a zone is to be strictly spent on that zone, then many passenger routes will simply have to be closed down.

W.r.t. Mamata, her introduction of a flurry of trains without investing in infrastructure has already caused so many accidents. Investing in trains but not in new routes, in my opinion, is not quite helping any region, but increasing the risk of accidents in that region.

So what is the solution?
  • Dedicated freight corridor for revenue generation.
  • Dedicated passenger routes not using existing tracks without subsidised tickets.
All this, beyond the existing system.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Because everyone in south pays for tickets so better revenues. Railways is like a charity service in north.

You have airport in NE ? :D
What are you smoking? I think Afghan special :D
Please check out Chhattisgarh's revenue, hint Bilaspur Zone.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Not a big fan of these trains.

Wish it was like this.

Last edited:

plugwater

What are you smoking? I think Afghan special :D
Please check out Chhattisgarh's revenue, hint Bilaspur Zone.
Local beedi :D

Revenues from passengers not freight. South is not rich of minerals.

Oracle

Because everyone in south pays for tickets so better revenues. Railways is like a charity service in north.

You have airport in NE ? :D
Yes.
Here, check this!

Source is the Airports Authority of India. Many more are coming up.

What I was trying to say is that Railways are one among the services for which NE India have been long neglected. Some parts of NE are connected, of which 80 are broad guage tracks, while the remaining are British made narrow guages, which has survived due to excellent British Engineering and Indian maintenance. Work is going on, but at a snail's pace. GoI is cosying upto Bangladesh to have a Rail link for economic purposes, but policy makers lack the vision to do the same in NE India.

Now comes revenue generation. The revenue generated from Karnataka's IT industry is not Karnataka specific. That wealth is distributed amongst all the States of India. You start a service, generate profits, then use that amount to spread that service in other places. Railways, of for that matter any service is not State specific.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Local beedi :D

Revenues from passengers not freight. South is not rich of minerals.
Yes manc, i am requesting to check the passenger revenue only, but to an extent I agree, that connectivity in Southern India is not good, partially due to lack of military infrastructure too. Once the presence of armed forces increase in south India, I guess the trains will increase accordingly

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Not a big fan of these trains.

Wish it was like this.

agree to a certain extent, certain because indian railways has budget constraints and then who ever comes as the rail mantri uses this ministry to play their vote bank politics so what one has is a case where unabated slandering of budgeted amount happens for some foolish pet projects of these ministers, and the larger good of the country is kept limited.

then there is large scale corruption, or should i say massive, well take a pick, which means a significant amount gets siphoned off.

anyways the new lhb rakes, imported from germany and now manufactured in india, are not all that bad, which will phase out all the existing rakes by 2016 as per the latest reports, certainly better than waht we had, check out the difference.

old one:

lhb coaches:

lhb - shatabdi interiors (interior of the train above posted):

ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5886232215_5b4c448f4f.jpg

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/attachments/04_onboard_2007.jpg-60636d1266827520

and a far cry from:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/j...-shatabdi-express-train-on-its-way-from-n.jpg

plugwater

Yes.
Here, check this!

Source is the Airports Authority of India. Many more are coming up.

What I was trying to say is that Railways are one among the services for which NE India have been long neglected. Some parts of NE are connected, of which 80 are broad guage tracks, while the remaining are British made narrow guages, which has survived due to excellent British Engineering and Indian maintenance. Work is going on, but at a snail's pace. GoI is cosying upto Bangladesh to have a Rail link for economic purposes, but policy makers lack the vision to do the same in NE India.

Now comes revenue generation. The revenue generated from Karnataka's IT industry is not Karnataka specific. That wealth is distributed amongst all the States of India. You start a service, generate profits, then use that amount to spread that service in other places. Railways, of for that matter any service is not State specific.
Railways always works in snail pace. NE terrain is also not helping them. Now only they are starting to build some lines in Jammu and kashmir after finishing that only they will turn their attention to NE. They could not even work fast in perfectly normal terrain in south.

I know NE states have airports :p

Revenues generated in IT in karnataka are distributed to other states ? I really doubt that.

plugwater

Yes manc, i am requesting to check the passenger revenue only, but to an extent I agree, that connectivity in Southern India is not good, partially due to lack of military infrastructure too. Once the presence of armed forces increase in south India, I guess the trains will increase accordingly
Sorry nitesh, I could not find the revenue from passengers alone.

Oracle

Railways always works in snail pace. NE terrain is also not helping them. Now only they are starting to build some lines in Jammu and kashmir after finishing that only they will turn their attention to NE. They could not even work fast in perfectly normal terrain in south.

I know NE states have airports :p

Revenues generated in IT in karnataka are distributed to other states ? I really doubt that.
Taxes go to the Central Government. You did not know that?

Laying of new tracks in NE has long been on the shelves. I agree it's treacherous terrain and also militancy that is slowing the progress of work. But that cannot be an excuse to development.

Moreover W.I.P are also halted in many areas due to issues being confided only to the Railway Ministry and GoI.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Green light for Gurgaon-Mundra double-stack container train - Hindustan Times

With an aim of giving a boost to the transportation of cars, steel and consumer goods, railways have decided to run double-stack container trains between Gurgaon and Mundra Port in Gujarat. The service will be made operational this month. "All necessary preparations including
approval from Research Designs and Standards Organisation and safety clearance to run the double-stack container train in this route are complete now," said a senior Railway Ministry official.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
very good paper saving step
Indian Railways Accepts Virtual Reservation Message; No Printouts Needed - MediaNama

IRCTC has launched virtual tickets with the Virtual Reservation Message (VRM), making a marked shift – the physical tickets (and printouts) will no longer be mandatory to travel in the Indian Railways. It had earlier been accepting the Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS), which is a printed version of the ticket with reservation details.

In comparison, the VRM is essentially a screen shot of the e-ticket that can be displayed on laptops, mobile and other devices. VRM combined with valid photo-id in original will be be the same as an ERS, and the ticket collector uses the VRM to validate the booking number, and the travellers ID to validate his identity.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What difference how much revenue it makes? Profit is what matters and since 2008, profit is down 90%.

agentperry

IR asks govt to give rs 2000 crore as it s left with only 75 lakh rs in coffer. the operating cost of Indian railway is 75000 crore rs.
mamta banerjee is curse for railway she handled railway 5 times and took it into the depth of loses. now even her chamcha is sitting in the office but still the result is same.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Powerful 5500 horsepower diesel locomotives to roll out next year to move more freight - Economic Times

NEW DELHI: With the aim of moving more freight at higher speeds, the Railways plan to roll out technologically advanced 5500 horsepower (HP) diesel locomotives early next year.

The new high HP locos will also have air-conditioning and toilet facilities for the engine drivers, a first of its kind in the Indian Railways.

"The 5500 HP locos are being manufactured at Diesel Locomotive Works at Varanasi and we are expecting the first lot early next year," said a senior Railway Ministry official involved with the modern loco project.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
A significant achievement

India's longest railway tunnel excavated in J-K, IBN Live News

Srinagar, Oct 14 (PTI) The Kashmir rail link project took a significant leap today with the completion of excavation work of a 11km-long tunnel, the longest in the country, underneath the rugged Pir Panjal mountains. The Pir Panjal tunnel, which constitutes a vital link between Udhampur and Qazigund of the national project, runs below the existing Jawahar road tunnel and promises to reduce the travelling distance between Banihal and Qazigund from 35 km to only 11 km.
similar news

India's longest railway tunnel unveiled in Jammu & Kashmir - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles