Indian Power Sector

agentperry

tribals need to get aside. its called rehabilitation.
environment- its protected thru nuke plants, that black smoke u r talking about.
power to a hamlet of 200 or 300 people or families is not a feasible option. you cant spend 200-300 crores on transmission line, distribution office and transformer for them they need solar lighting or biogas electrification.
India needs 400000 mw of power if we need to make it grow by the way we want-9% and every person given power.
Rehabilitation? Have you ever seen what happens in "rehabilitation" - let me give you an example, the Supreme court admonished the state and central governments for NOT rehabilitating dam affected people - like this ..

India Together: Narmada dams rehabilitation scam exposed - 13 April 2005

http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/articles/ncsxna/art_dam.pdf

In our country, between bad policy, lack of accountability, corruption and mindless rhetoric, poor adivasis NEVER get rehabilitation.
It's all so nice to talk about "for greater good" and "social causes" and "for the interest of the nation" - but when it some down to the spades and boots, the spades dig the graves of poor people and the boots trample on their bones.

Somehow your solutions sound more and more like Europe between the two wars where forced mass exodus and elimination of communities were a common belief.
What have we learnt from the 1930-1940s Europe?
A nation is not made by sparkling towers, warships or cricket teams - a nation is made by the people in it and the respect that we are ready to give each other. The 400000 small landholders you dismiss so easily are just representative of India's tribal population, which is about 9% of all Indians. 400000 is a large number - no matter how casually you send them off in your post.

Environment protected through nuclear plants? What are you? Insane? Do you know Chernobyl? Three Mile island? What happened to Japan this year after a Tsunami at Fukushima daichii?

Nuclear power plants are ONLY safe if they are built far away from locality (read atleast 30 miles away - of the 30+ nuclear plants being planned in India, how many are located like that? Probably 10%, if any.

if the government needs the tribal held lands for national defense - in peacetime, then my argument will be the same - first build a new village for them, then give them adequate infrastructure for a livelihood, then relocate them with their consent. that is a civilized thing to do and a democratic thing to do. Otherwise we are no better than our enemies and our values are as bad as theirs.
In wartime, emergency evacuations are different, but then again, you cannot evacuate them to a desert or a marshland (unless that's what they want).

Anyway, I will love to coninue this discussion later, but my advice is, try to put yourself in their shoes and imagine how your life would be - imagine if you lived in a part of India where China invades and decides to displace all Indians to put in their people ....
India has 400000 small hamlets and villages which have no economic contribution and no social interaction at all. govt has no land with it. if for one year govt halts its land acquisition then the whole economy will get into freefall. yes bad politics and corrupt officials make things miserable but these tribals are no good either. they posses some rare culture but again we are no african country surviving on tourism bounty.
nation needs its land back from the occupier.

these tribals fight for the land and then ultimately finds a place in our household as domestic help. they are not ready to get educated- if they get educated they will automatically leave those forests for cities. but no they stick to the outdated primitive culture.

we just have 28% land left to support more than 1.2 billion people, some half a billion livestock, industry houses and barracks. suggest me an alternative.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
India has 400000 small hamlets and villages which have no economic contribution and no social interaction at all. govt has no land with it. if for one year govt halts its land acquisition then the whole economy will get into freefall. yes bad politics and corrupt officials make things miserable but these tribals are no good either. they posses some rare culture but again we are no african country surviving on tourism bounty.
nation needs its land back from the occupier.
these tribals fight for the land and then ultimately finds a place in our household as domestic help. they are not ready to get educated- if they get educated they will automatically leave those forests for cities. but no they stick to the outdated primitive culture.
we just have 28% land left to support more than 1.2 billion people, some half a billion livestock, industry houses and barracks. suggest me an alternative.
Your level of ignorance, prejudice and racism is amazing. You called the 400000 villages as having no economic contributions - yet these are the same villages that produce our food and supply animal resources, not to mention 60% of India's population live there. So, in your damn fine world, only people who work in the cities and live in the city/ suburbs are real Indians and have a right to live? In the developed countries someone like you would be called a racist pig or a neanderthal.
I am not sure why I am even wasting my time on this thread anymore. But here it goes, although I have better things to do on a holiday.

The production of a country is not just the factories and the lage farms. A country is like an ecosystem - where lots of different parts play important roles. The poor village people are our biggest and most basic producers - they farm and produce food. The tribals care for our forests and forest reources - without them, poachers would have destroyed our forests long ago. All their lot can be improved and made into consumers, but that will happen gradually with planning and private entrepreneurship.
This concept of "them" and "us" was a British invention - the educated so-called elite of our country started looking down upon the poor people as "them" - some alien, inferior race to be subjugated and ruled over. It was a great help for the British to rule our country and pillage it. Sadly, even after 60+ years of independence, we still keep that tradition alive.

In Indian culture, whether it was the Gupta empire, the Maurya empire or later the Mughal empire, Maratha, Rajput or Shikh empires the best rulers always felt that the poor were a part of their rule, to be helped and protected - not to be exploited. The worst rulers looked at the poor as slaves or trash.

As for land, you know that Japan had as high a population density in the 80s as India had in 2000. I am sure the Japanese did not think that 60% of their population was "non-productive" and a problem.
India as a state does not own most of the land - it should not. That is a communist state - that model has been proved not to work. The land belongs to all Indians as a collective, yet they are also owned by individuals (private ownership). If the govt needs land to build infrastructure, they have to compensate the owners or residents adequately. Otherwise the govt is no better than a robber - no better than the British.

Those you call "occupiers" are residents on those lands for generations. They may not have a government signed document, but that is because their ownership precedes the govt and systemic problems like corruption, illeteracy etc. Still their claim according to international law is as strong as your piece of paper for your home.

For the so-called 28% land you are so bothered about, I question that figure itself. I also question the fact that agriculture cannot be improved in India - it can be for sure.
I also question what moral/ ethical authority you have to remove the tribal people, who have NOT contributed to India's popultion explosion nearly as much as the rest of the country has. Look at the numbers in terms of population growth and tell me why the people who could not keep their pants on, who could not keep their side of the bargain or the last 60+ years in terms of population control, now are rewarded by more land and better deals at the cost of poor tribals, who have kept their own population at check.

Any answer Mr Neanderthal?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Rehabilitation?In wartime, emergency evacuations are different, but then again, you cannot evacuate them to a desert or a marshland (unless that's what they want).

Anyway, I will love to coninue this discussion later, but my advice is, try to put yourself in their shoes and imagine how your life would be - imagine if you lived in a part of India where China invades and decides to displace all Indians to put in their people ....
Sometimes democracy itself becomes an obstacle to the country and has to be sidelined. US does it, Israel does it, Europe does it and so do others. Only we Indians are always joyous to be politically correct while all other such morals are forgotten when leaders swindle our country. The irony of being "pious" in India. :lol:

Iamanidiot

Nuclears Power is our only nirvana right now.Coal plants are no more viable in India scarcity of coal beds

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles