Indian Ocean Developments

badguy2000

Respected Member
1. how do you know "new Type 093 SSN of China is comparable to Victor-III class SSN only which is of 2nd generation"?

Akula-II comes under 4th generation of Russian SSN (Nuclear attack submarne) and most advanced of them
a new label doesn't mean the revolutionary upgrade of performance.
4th G Russian SSN is not much ahead of Russian 2nd G Russian SSN,due to the stagnation of RUssian R&D after soviet collopsed.

p2prada

too bad there are no military bases there, or any plans of such.
On the mainland, western coast we have 2 military bases. On the eastern coast we have 1 and have 1 submarine base later. We have 1 base in Cochin in South India. These bases are big.

Other than that we have a patrol craft base in the Lakshadweep islands.

And also, a forward base in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20090215/1177580.html

In an official statement issued here yesterday, the Andaman and Nicobar Command said INS Kardip was an Advanced Forward Naval Base and a vital cog in the defence set-up on the islands considering its strategic location and geo-political scenario.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Koji, it is adviced that you read up before you post. A&N islands have a tri services base.

Adux

Country flag
Badguy,

You show the sign of a real chicom,not ready to accept your weakness nor your mistakes in front of the world- loss of face. Sadly unlike some pak forums, this is an Indian forum where we dont accept stupidity from chicoms as gospel truth.

Now for the rebuttal, You nitwit Akula-2, Typhoon Generation showed the greatest jump in Submarine capabilities by the Soviets over their predecessors (Sierra, Victor III),They were so good that, they were already better than then NATO Sub LA Class, Which was never the case with the Soviets since they lagged behind always Technical expertise.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
:mornin:

Can anyone put more light on this?

India is paying $ 2 bn to Russia to build two Akula-II submarines which will be leased to India for 10 years with option to buy. One of them will be handed over this year (September). Akula-II comes under 4th generation of Russian SSN (Nuclear attack submarne) and most advanced of them, even Russia herself has no such submarines at present.

On the other hand new Type 093 SSN of China is comparable to Victor-III class SSN only which is of 2nd generation.

If it is true India will have the qualitative edge over China in case of SSN.:blum3::d_training:

Indian Gvt has given approval of building advanced SSN which is said to be much costlier than INS Arihant category. Will these will be like Akula-II?:113:

Please share if anyone has further information on this.
we dunno what are the terms of leasing. is it just for training or fighting war. who is responsible if submarine is damaged or lost etc

hbogyt

Let me get some facts straight.

There are at least 3 photographically confirmed Yuan class. ~10 Song class.

Russian kilos are not very satisfactory. PLAN had to do extensive refits to some of them.

Ming class is used for training and mine laying only.

My source suggest:

That type-093 and the upcoming type-095 (I will discuss this later) also have significant French and German technology as well. I wouldn't jump into the conclusion that it is only at Viktor 3 level.

Production of type-093 has already stopped.

Type-095 starts construction next year. It will have LACM, pump-jet propulsor, drone sub(as a decoy, not the fancy type)

USN will continue to roam the Indian Ocean.

S

SammyCheung

First off, only PLAN nuclear subs will possibly go to Indian Ocean. Not conventional subs. The SSBNs will stay in protected bastions.

The current model PLAN SSN is Type 093 Shang class, considered equivalent to Los Angeles class.

The Type 093 is thought to be approaching the early variants of the U.S. Navy 688 (Los Angeles) class SSN in terms of capability and noise level, but still inferior to the more advanced Seawolf and Virginia class. Nevertheless, this class of nuclear submarine represents a major step forward in PRC’s underwater warfare capability. Once fully operational, it could pose serious threat to the navies of China’s neighbouring countries and further complicate the anti-submarine challenge facing the U.S. Navy.
Type 093 (09-III) Shang Class Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine - SinoDefence.com

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Good God!

Adux, you've read my posts long enough to know what the Chinese are doing ... and for the Chinese posters here ... get real!

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Simple answer THE U.S.N. for the next 50 years atleast. Period.

Adux

Country flag
Good God!

Adux, you've read my posts long enough to know what the Chinese are doing ... and for the Chinese posters here ... get real!
Just having some fun sir!! I am over writing long posts and having proper debate with Children.

natarajan

Find it if you can. Will make a great read.
Yes even i have read ,it was in bharath rakshak forum
vietnam,mongolia,japan,south korea,us allies and also about base near afghanistan and near africa

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
too bad there are no military bases there, or any plans of such.
What no military base in the indian subcontinent, or in the andaman and nicobar islands.

Ya, not real smart that koji.....

hbogyt

re: OOE

Good God!

I've always wanted to ask you this question. Howcome countries like Israel who doesn't have a long history of armament production like US or Russian, can develop excellent weapon systems, but China can't?

It seems to me that your logic is that whatever China can't put into service,they don't have the technology for it. Is it?

What does your source within PLA tell you about 093?

What do you make of this? http://bbs.meyet.com/dispbbs_36_202217_1.html

India does have the upperhand in the Indian Ocean, against China.

p2prada

I've always wanted to ask you this question. Howcome countries like Israel who doesn't have a long history of armament production like US or Russian, can develop excellent weapon systems, but China can't?
Israel develops such systems due to the long time they spend developing technologies with US. All their AESA radars and a lot of their electronics have an American imprint. israelis don't have any restrictions from importing top notch technology from Europe and US.
Even the Lavi program was canceled due to American pressure.

China is a military pariah. EU and the US have laid military sanctions on China because of Tiananmen Square Massacre. Israel is pressured from doing business with China. Only Russia continues to do business with China.

hbogyt

re

Israel develops such systems due to the long time they spend developing technologies with US. All their AESA radars and a lot of their electronics have an American imprint. israelis don't have any restrictions from importing top notch technology from Europe and US.
Even the Lavi program was canceled due to American pressure.

China is a military pariah. EU and the US have laid military sanctions on China because of Tiananmen Square Massacre. Israel is pressured from doing business with China. Only Russia continues to do business with China.
That's exactly what I think.

So, what about the Sino-US honeymoon period. They ought to have acquired much assisance back then.

Even now, China receives technological assistance from France and Germany despite the embargo.

In addition China has more money to spend on R&D than Israel these days.

Plus that China would have bought some Russian experts after the collapse of their economy back then.

I don't see how China's technology is as backward as OOE implies.

Why does

Adux

Country flag
One word, China doesnt have much access to dual use technology nor does India. Until Now. Israel has. German and French help,previously Israeli help to the Chinese is puny incomparison to the tech available. India has such a tech advantage about China, it is not even funny. China is all Brouchures, heck even for the Pakistani's Chinese tech is second in line to all the others.

S

SammyCheung

Reliance on others for industry and technology is not a badge of honor. It is a weakness.

China is a complex and dynamic country. It knows very well how its technology matches up with others. Just that you folks don't know, yet.

hbogyt

Still China would have obtained some tech during the US-China honeymoon period. At least they got the leopard tank. Rumours suggest it was an early version of Leo2.

China also gets help from France and Germany on its nuclear submarines nowadays if you believe my source.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles