Indian nuclear submarines

Safir

Even if the news about hatch ' considered' true so what? They can fix it. Let's not dig much about the Arihant. You will be only helping others. Let's not forget, their existence, its operations, its location are always classified. The navy knows well what to do. So RELAX!

These kind of news or whatsoever are sometimes planted because others are really interested to know about this submarine. They want government to explain about it, thus media is only a pressure building tactic.

Don't become victim to such infos.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I have a car worth 9 lakhs. It gives beep sound whenever driver fails to put on seat belt or door is not closed properly.
Only a fool will think that such instrument isn't installed on a toy which is even more costlier than my 9lakhs vehicle. Seriously ? People don't know about something called Standard operation procedure ?
Before going to second step sailors check and verify many parameters and then captain /CO gives command to carry out next step.
And sailors on this nuke dolphins are best of the best submariners navy could get. Its not a auto-rikshaw in which driver can do or go anywhere he want , even stop suddenly in middle of the road.
How come people miss this simple logic ?
The official story is honestly beyond absurd, closing and confirming hatches closed is literally the first and last thing the boat captain does.

And this would not be your regular submarine crew who already represent the top 1% of any navy but the cream of the crop from this elite arm to man an experimental boat of strategic significance .

That is before you even talk about the in-built safety mechanisms found on a cutting edge ship like this.

They really could’ve come up with a better story than this.

abingdonboy

Country flag
All it takes is one underpaid sailor to spill the beans. The people that work their know and I doubt they are getting paid Western wages, flash some cash and someone will talk. Indian media is not the most careful when it comes to guarding national secrets. The source may even come from some corrupt babu that knows. Let us not pretend like India is free of corruption. The one thing I doubt is that it is intentional misinformation to make India look weak.
That’s your interpretation of it, but it could be read entirely differently. It’s not about making India look weak but explaining the peculiar movements of this specific boat which no doubt has dedicated desks to track and analyse it in enemy intel agencies.

lcafanboy

Country flag
The problem with leased submarines is that they can't be used in war but only patrolling. There is no point leasing more submarines from Russia when India can make its own and also has gained enough experience in Russian submarines already
Who said it can't be used. We can. We were to buy out chakra directly and Russia was ready sell it out right but was objected by NSG. Fact is 3to 4 subs were on offer.

The whole lease drama is to circumvent NSG CLAUSE nuke submarines can't be sold so this whole drama is staged. Do you know at the end of lease we can actually buy chakra for nominal price. So do you still think it can't be used..

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Who said it can't be used. We can. We were to buy out chakra directly and Russia was ready sell it out right but was objected by NSG. Fact is 3to 4 subs were on offer.

The whole lease drama is to circumvent NSG CLAUSE nuke submarines can't be sold so this whole drama is staged. Do you know at the end of lease we can actually buy chakra for nominal price. So do you still think it can't be used..
It has to be returned to Russia and can't be damaged beyond repair by India. So, it can't be used in war. The idea of giving the submarine is to provide India with required experience with submarines of nuclear type. The intent is to give technology rather than warfighting ability. I don't see a reason why India should lease more submarines when India already got what it wanted and now can make its own submarines.

Kalki_2018

Country flag
No we don't have to return it. We can buy it. Stop spreading nonsense like chinese have a jet engine. Sure it just last 100 hrs but technically they do.

lcafanboy

Country flag
It is not better to appear weaker than you are. It is the show of strength that prevents wars, it is weakness that starts them. I doubt GoI has the goal of appearing weak especially with China as a neighbour with designs on your territory.
India's case is different. We were non nuclear state. We didn't and don't want to piss off US japan and western nations and at the same show minimum credible deterrence to china and Pakistan. So india is downplaying it's position but during doklam we showed our claws to dragon and no need to tell what happened next... Do i still need to explain...

lcafanboy

Country flag
It has to be returned to Russia and can't be damaged beyond repair by India. So, it can't be used in war. The idea of giving the submarine is to provide India with required experience with submarines of nuclear type. The intent is to give technology rather than warfighting ability. I don't see a reason why India should lease more submarines when India already got what it wanted and now can make its own submarines.
We won't be returning chakra we will be buying it out at the end of lease agreement but we will have to shell out for refilling of nuclear fuel and midlife upgrade....

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
We won't be returning chakra we will be buying it out at the end of lease agreement but we will have to shell out for refilling of nuclear fuel and midlife upgrade....
Buying of nuclear submarines will be objected by NSG as it is considered a weapon powered by nuclear power. Selling of even reactors to a country which does not adhere to NPT is not allowed. NPT will be strictly enforced and technical personnel of the country supplying the reactors will be present to ensure that the reactors will not be reverse engineered for self use or the nuclear waste be reprocessed for use in bombs.

India's case is different. We were non nuclear state. We didn't and don't want to piss off US japan and western nations and at the same show minimum credible deterrence to china and Pakistan. So india is downplaying it's position but during doklam we showed our claws to dragon and no need to tell what happened next... Do i still need to explain...
Why does pissing off USA even matter? When USA can piss off India the same cane be done other way around. However, nuclear submarines are best kept secrets. If possible, any indigenous diesel submarine is also best kept a secret to keep the enemy guessing. Submarines are stealth weapons and are meant to be secretive as far as possible.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Buying of nuclear submarines will be objected by NSG as it is considered a weapon powered by nuclear power. Selling of even reactors to a country which does not adhere to NPT is not allowed. NPT will be strictly enforced and technical personnel of the country supplying the reactors will be present to ensure that the reactors will not be reverse engineered for self use or the nuclear waste be reprocessed for use in bombs.
We will be buying chakra in 2022-24 not now. By then india will be member of NSG and a lot would be changed in favour of indIa by then.... Like we will be making our own nuke subs so since India will be having technology resistance will be no longer there.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
We will be buying chakra in 2022-24 not now. By then india will be member of NSG and a lot would be changed in favour of indIa by then.... Like we will be making our own nuke subs so since India will be having technology resistance will be no longer there.
What is the point of buying Akula class submarine? Explain the rationale behind buying Chakra in 2022.

Jameson Emoni

It is not better to appear weaker than you are. It is the show of strength that prevents wars, it is weakness that starts them. I doubt GoI has the goal of appearing weak especially with China as a neighbour with designs on your territory.
I did not say that India was trying to appear weaker than it is. However, it will not be a bad strategy to foster some complacency in its enemies by appearing benign. In reality, neither you nor I know what goes on with India's SSBNs because they are part of highly secretive Nuclear Command Authority (NCA). NCA maintains secrecy for a host of different geopolitical and operational reasons. I personally do not think show boating one's military might is a good idea. So in this regard, I am in agreement with India's low profile on SSBNs and ICBMs.

Last edited:

lcafanboy

Country flag
What is the point of buying Akula class submarine? Explain the rationale behind buying Chakra in 2022.
It's one of the most advanced and quietest nuclear submarines in the world. And deadliest too even uncle Sam fears a lot, so should Lizard China.

Flame Thrower

It's one of the most advanced and quietest nuclear submarines in the world. And deadliest too even uncle Sam fears a lot, so should Lizard China.
I would call it as one of the quitest, there is los Angeles and Ohio(in SSBN), and we no nothing of Barracuda class.

But yes, it would be quietest in the Asia.

There is one issue, Nuclear subs can't be sold. Not even to NSG nations I believe. We used loophole in the draft and leased(no ban on leasing subs). We also can't mount SLBMs (at least officially) in the leased subs. If I remember correctly, we're the only ones to have leased a nuke sub.

I wonder how quiet Arihant is!!??....

If Arihant is quieter than Akula, we won't go for Chakra just for numbers. If Akula is quieter, then Scorpene tech will come handy. Let's see how the sub building goes.

Thus I rest my case

rone

Country flag
its not like that its common way hiding strategic assets like if enemy know the ssbn was operational they try to figure out it position by stats and other means fi u spread miss info like say it was in repair they enemy will try to spend his resource to find the secret repair hanger to get more info of system ... and it will act as a passive decoy for operational deployment .. hence we dont have enough ssbn and ssn it was a very gud way to fool Chinese to spend their time to search for repairing subs

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles