Indian Navy will increase tonnage substantially

Defcon 1

Country flag
Hi,

sometime back I read an excellent post on another forum.

The essence of the post was that the indian navy will introduce a large number of new ships in the coming years. Most of these ships will be a replacement for older ships and hence we will not see substantial increase in the number of ships. But the important parameter that will change is tonnage. The newer ships will be much heavier than the ones they replace.

For example, the shivalik class frigate will displace 6200 tonnes which is enough to term it as destroyer. similarly kamorta class corvette will displace 2500-3000 tonnes.

Now I was always under the impression that in the modern age, smaller ships are gaining importance as larger ships can be easily targeted by smaller boats, thus raising questions before the rationale of spending huge amount of money to procure them. Thats why battleships and cruisers have became outdated. But now we see IN going the opposite way. Can anybody explain why are we spending larger sums when we can maintain the sanctioned strength by inducting smaller ships? Are there any advantages of this policy?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
With the advent of more powerful engines and more accurate CIWS and anti-air systems it is now vry difficult. The smaller ships are detected far away and taken out by guided weapons.

bhramos

Country flag
i feel the bigger ships will have more fire power... and will have defensive power and all ships are Multi-role... and bigger ships means which will increase our range of IN in seas...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles