Indian Navy eyes new sonar system for warships

ramakrishna

The Indian Navy plans to install Atlas Elektronik-developed sonar systems on the domestic-built Mazagon Dock-built Delhi-class and Russian-origin Talwar-class warships to boost anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

Press Trust of India (PTI) cites Navy officials as saying that Atlas Elektronik is the lowest bidder, while the proposal is yet to receive the Indian defence ministry's approval on the signing of the agreement.

Source and complete Information

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
boost anti-submarine warfare capabilities
Also IN could use systems to avoid ships running aground?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Also IN could use systems to avoid ships running aground?
Yes, IN should invest in harbor dredging equipment as clearly the civilian govt is unable to discharge their responsibilities.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Yes, IN should invest in harbor dredging equipment as clearly the civilian govt is unable to discharge their responsibilities.
In USA, most dredging is done by the US Army Corps of Engineers. So the Army has a navy :)

W.G.Ewald

Professional
To know depth, depth sounder or echo sounder is enough why use a costly sonar for it?
If the ASW sonar is installed in a ship, I suppose it could serve a dual purpose, but I am not an expert. I imagine ASW systems are much more sophisticated, and its sonar component being linked to weapons systems.

Obviously the towed array is more sophisticated than depth sounder.

The active towed array sonar (ATAS) enables the ships to detect submarines and torpedoes beyond the weapon range of the submarine.
My original comment alluded to recent groundings by IN ships.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
If the ASW sonar is installed in a ship, I suppose it could serve a dual purpose, but I am not an expert. I imagine ASW systems are much more sophisticated, and its sonar component being linked to weapons systems.

We don't know the exact reason for the recent groundings, but if it is incompetence then no equipment can cover for it.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
[PDF]http://www.aticourses.com/sampler/Sonar_Principles_ASW_Analysis_CourseSampler.pdf[/PDF]

ladder

Country flag

Obviously the towed array is more sophisticated than depth sounder.

The below is the display of Echo-sounder of INS Cankarso.

http://cdn.i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/ImageResizerWM.ashx?
n=http%3a%2f%2fi.haymarket.net.au%2fExtraImages%2f20121206120356__ND36945+copy+copy.jpg&h=468&w=700

INS Cankarso | Cars Review | Others | Autocar India

To know depth, depth sounder or echo sounder is enough why use a costly sonar for it?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
^^
It appears signal gets well into bottom sediments...if I am reading correctly.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles