Indian Navy Begins Search For New Large Landing Ships

Adux

Country flag
It is quite simple, a marine corps effectively in the case of pakistan is opening up a third front! Also china is building up a larger ocean going force than the americans, it is imperative we build it, if our allies have to trust and can count on us for support.

Atul

Founding Member
I hope to see Mistral class built in our Docks. The Russians who have a expertise in building any thing or everything related to defense also bought it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Handing over the army's amphibious unit to Navy is not equal to raising an MC a la US style. The USMC is like an army in its own with its own air, naval and land assets. India right now would not be able to match that. We better get out 3 branches better equipped to face all threats. Our navy creates a good enough third front against pak, but sending an expeditionary force into china via south china sea will be suicide.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
raising a marine corps is a total waste of money.we should make our 3 branches of our armed forces stronger.we may also create a separate missile force like soviet rocket forces and china's 2nd artillery corps,with increased budget allocation. marines or naval infantry has overlapping roles with army's amphibious brigade.and usmc is highly dependent on us navy fighters for coastal bombardments in spite of having its own air wing.

Adux

Country flag
I dont understand that use of going for a Large Expeditionary Transport Ships, if IN dont have any trained manpower to throw at the enemy? Whats the use of this equipment, This is a specialized role, and it requires specialized training, 4 ships (Mistrals for example)is perfect for carrying a Brigade of Men 4000-5000 people, That is just one trip. There is a large capacity being built here by the Indian Navy, it must mean something. There is more to this than meets the eye. Indian Navy is known for their long term planning

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I dont understand that use of going for a Large Expeditionary Transport Ships, if IN dont have any trained manpower to throw at the enemy? Whats the use of this equipment, This is a specialized role, and it requires specialized training, 4 ships (Mistrals for example)is perfect for carrying a Brigade of Men 4000-5000 people, That is just one trip. There is a large capacity being built here by the Indian Navy, it must mean something. There is more to this than meets the eye. Indian Navy is known for their long term planning
There are easily 10,000 men trained from Army into adapting Marine roles. The only difference is that they won't be labeled as "Indian Marine Corps". IN doesn't want to make its own fleet a mini tri-service department with too man expeditionary forces involved. It has just barely managed to escape IAF's eagle eyed glare of being cleared to use a larger fighter jet fleet for use.

Mostly, Marine Corps as an independent body won't work out since we don't have world policing duties compared to US with all the hell just right around us. A Marine Corps brigade under politically spineless leaders is useless and waste of people's tax money. Unless the dirt on top is cleaned, little can be expected.

Adux

Country flag
There are easily 10,000 men trained from Army into adapting Marine roles. The only difference is that they won't be labeled as "Indian Marine Corps". IN doesn't want to make its own fleet a mini tri-service department with too man expeditionary forces involved. It has just barely managed to escape IAF's eagle eyed glare of being cleared to use a larger fighter jet fleet for use.

Mostly, Marine Corps as an independent body won't work out since we don't have world policing duties compared to US with all the hell just right around us. A Marine Corps brigade under politically spineless leaders is useless and waste of people's tax money. Unless the dirt on top is cleaned, little can be expected.
I think here beckons the question, that arises in every indian, "can we really be that", can we more than just above average and content. The Navy has confirmed that it plans to operate fighter jets numbering 300, now with induction of these many LPD's and corresponding support ships, future 5 carrier Navy, I dont think Navy has your apprehensions, their planning and future procurements shows exactly to me atleast, an armed forces with serious expeditionary capabilities. Do you think the current generation of Indians are same as the earlier ones? I see a more aggressive Indians for the future.

Adux

Country flag
After the Doctrine for Expediontary Forces is cleared completely, it was for its creation , INS Jalashawa was bought. Cheap at mere $50 million. I believe we would have atleast a Division worth of Marines by 2020. though like you pointed out, it wont be under Marine Corps, but deputed from the Army under the Command of the Navy. The Joint Command being developed may come with some good answers! Interesting times ahead.

sandeepdg

It is quite simple, a marine corps effectively in the case of pakistan is opening up a third front! Also china is building up a larger ocean going force than the americans, it is imperative we build it, if our allies have to trust and can count on us for support.
Which allies of us count on us for support like the way you put it ?

sandeepdg

Handing over the army's amphibious unit to Navy is not equal to raising an MC a la US style. The USMC is like an army in its own with its own air, naval and land assets. India right now would not be able to match that. We better get out 3 branches better equipped to face all threats. Our navy creates a good enough third front against pak, but sending an expeditionary force into china via south china sea will be suicide.
Mate, it seems you read too much into mine and Kunal's post. What he meant was that, transferring the Army's amphibious brigade to the IN would be much better than raising an MC style force. The amphibious brigade can do all that the USMC are trained for, and since IN is already acquiring LPDs, it can better utilize them under their own disposal for carrying out any kind of expeditionary missions if required effectively.

Adux

Country flag
Which allies of us count on us for support like the way you put it ?
You can start from Vietnam, and every other country we will forced to cultivate to circle the chinese.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
A Large Landing ship has far more soft power uses than any other vessel of comparable size, it can for example be used to ferry a lot of aid and rescue staff quickly into disaster hit areas using rotary winged aircraft, also having a marine expeditionary force may not mean we plan to invade another nation it is far more likely that we intend to build this force as an assurance to our Indian ocean allies(read the Maldives and Mauritius) that in the case of any hostilities or coup in their nation, the IN shall be able to put boots on the ground even if denied docking facilities and airports, this way we can build confidence among our allies.

Alexis121

Indian Navy Begins Search For New Large Landing Ships

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/USS_Trenton_LPD-14_fleetweek2004.jpg

USS Trenton at Port Everglades, FL, 2004, before it was sold to India to become the INS Jalashwa

U.S. Navy photo by Journalist 2nd Class William Lovelady.

February 12, 2011 by Shiv Aroor LIVEFIST

Cleared to acquire more large amphibious ships, the Indian Navy has invited information from Indian shipbuilders for new landing platform docks (LPDs). The navy has stipulated that it wants ships constructed under the Indian government's "buy and make" procedure, which entails the local license build of proven foreign equipment. The navy currently operates a single LPD, the INS Jalashwa, formerly the USS Trenton (LPD-14), but wants LPDs slightly larger, while keeping capabilities, capacity and kit largely the same.

sandeepdg

You can start from Vietnam, and every other country we will forced to cultivate to circle the chinese.
Well, all I can say is that you are day-dreaming ! Nobody in their right minds would want to confront China just because of India's insistence. No matter how much these South Asian countries hate China (Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia), they only look for support from none other than, US. You have delusions about India's clout in Asia, as a matter of fact India hardly has any. The only that do are China, Japan and of course the US.

Adux

Country flag
Well, all I can say is that you are day-dreaming ! Nobody in their right minds would want to confront China just because of India's insistence. No matter how much these South Asian countries hate China (Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia), they only look for support from none other than, US. You have delusions about India's clout in Asia, as a matter of fact India hardly has any. The only that do are China, Japan and of course the US.
I see you h ave thrown in the towel and waved white flag even before the fight has even begun, not very surprising. Time will tell.

sandeepdg

I see you h ave thrown in the towel and waved white flag even before the fight has even begun, not very surprising. Time will tell.
Well, I don't know what world you live in, but the world I am familiar with, the real world that is around me, that I get to know about everyday through all sorts of media, is where I take my views from, and these are all facts. By the way, good luck with your fighting, whoever that is you are fighting ! And yeah, you want to continue this crap then let's take it somewhere else, let's not spoil this thread or the mods will have close it down.

Adux

Country flag
If Malabar Ex, and India's Look East Policy doesnt tell you anything, nothing will, at the same time you expect our leaders and military men would sit on their backsides while Chinese are making their moves which is now; then you shouldnt bother with this country either. All these purchases are made it with all these factors in consideration, so i will voice it.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
with the type of inept politicians both in congress and bjp it is better to throw in the towel.

i cant them doing anything except botching amongst themselves and looting the country.

sandeepdg

If Malabar Ex, and India's Look East Policy doesnt tell you anything, nothing will, at the same time you expect our leaders and military men would sit on their backsides while Chinese are making their moves which is now; then you shouldnt bother with this country either. All these purchases are made it with all these factors in consideration, so i will voice it.
Dude, I know what I am talking about more than you do. Yeah, we all know about the government's Look-East policy, finally they have opened their eyes to courting our neighbors to limit China's influence in the region, but that's all on-paper. Whatever has been achieved is too little, too late. Can you give one sterling achievement of the Look-East policy ??
And what do you think that having few naval exercises with US and Japan, will tilt the scales and they will shower India with everything that it wants. All, I am saying is that for a country of the size of India, we hardly have any clout that we should as yet, but yeah we have been taking steps towards it, albeit slow, and if things stay on the right track then maybe after 15-20 years, the world may acknowledge us as a deserving superpower, and not a wannabe one, which we are right now. And, please don't say such stupid things as "you shouldnt bother with this country either", which other country should I bother about ?? I don't know which all countries are you bothered about, but I don't give a shit about any other. This is my country as much as anybody else's, that's the reason we are all on this forum. From your language, you sound to me like an immature kid whose mind's got overwhelmed with all things patriotic. Cool down, man, this is a forum for mature discussion. I don't have anything against you voicing your opinion, but do it in an appropriate thread. This thread is simply for "Indian Navy Begins Search For New Large Landing Ships", and I intend to stick to it. And, please again, let's cut this discussion here, if you want to continue, just PM me, I will be glad to reply to you.

Adux

Country flag
Really?

I know what I am talking about more than you do.
I am sure

Whatever has been achieved is too little, too late.
You should move, We are already lost.
Can you give one sterling achievement of the Look-East policy ??
Its called Vietnam. Lately Japan and soon South Korea.

And what do you think that having few naval exercises with US and Japan, will tilt the scales and they will shower India with everything that it wants. All, I am saying is that for a country of the size of India, we hardly have any clout that we should as yet, but yeah we have been taking steps towards it, albeit slow, and if things stay on the right track then maybe after 15-20 years, the world may acknowledge us as a deserving superpower, and not a wannabe one, which we are right now. And, please don't say such stupid things as "you shouldnt bother with this country either", which other country should I bother about ?? I don't know which all countries are you bothered about, but I don't give a shit about any other. This is my country as much as anybody else's, that's the reason we are all on this forum.

Got your panties in a twist much? Funny, all this cause you dont have capacity to grasp what India was going to do with 4 Large landing ships.

From your language, you sound to me like an immature kid whose mind's got overwhelmed with all things patriotic.
Yes, I am the cowbanga dude calling kid here.

Cool down, man, this is a forum for mature discussion. I don't have anything against you voicing your opinion, but do it in an appropriate thread. This thread is simply for "Indian Navy Begins Search For New Large Landing Ships", and I intend to stick to it. And, please again, let's cut this discussion here, if you want to continue, just PM me, I will be glad to reply to you.
Press the ignore button.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles