Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH)

pmaitra

similarities ???

imrh -

.................................................................................................................
Looks like the Mil-17V5 made in Ulan Ude, Buryatia, Russia.

The rear landing gear fairing looks like that of the Sikorsky CH-53.

Vijyes

Wasn't India developing a chopper engine along with kaveri? What happened to it?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I just read the entire thread. The only thing I can't figure out is what the Indian Army plans to do with these 13ton helicopters? How many do they plan to induct? And in what role(s)?
Also, how does the Indian Air Force feel about this massive expansion of Army Aviation Corps? A while ago, the corps had a mere 190 light aircraft. Now its suddenly acquiring assets left and right, overseeing an expansion to around 1200 aircraft.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I just read the entire thread. The only thing I can't figure out is what the Indian Army plans to do with these 13ton helicopters? How many do they plan to induct? And in what role(s)?
Also, how does the Indian Air Force feel about this massive expansion of Army Aviation Corps? A while ago, the corps had a mere 190 light aircraft. Now its suddenly acquiring assets left and right, overseeing an expansion to around 1200 aircraft.
Maybe IA realized that 300 is a dismally small number to fight a two front war..........IMRH will be used to replace old mil-17 helos..........
We have been operating them for about 30 odd years......by the time IMRH gets ready these helos would be 35-40 years old

Adioz

Maybe IA realized that 300 is a dismally small number to fight a two front war..........IMRH will be used to replace old mil-17 helos..........
We have been operating them for about 30 odd years......by the time IMRH gets ready these helos would be 35-40 years old
mi 17 are with the air force. The ones that will be added to army aviation represent an accretion in capability. So apart from replacing air force Mi17s the IMRH will also bring organic medium lift capability to the army for the first time.

salute

yeah isnt its like some combination of russian mil and some western helicopter sikorsky or airbus but the design is still crude .

Prashant12

Country flag
REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) FOR TECHNICAL CONSULTANCY ON ROTOR SYSTEM FOR 10 TO 12 TON AUW CLASS INDIAN MULTI ROLE HELICOPTER (IMRH) PROGRAMME
http://www.hal-india.com/Tender_CorrigendumsDetails.aspx?Mkey=63&lKey=&Ckey=MTIxNTY=&Divkey=MTg=

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) FOR SUPPLY OF SUITABLE TURBO SHAFT ENGINE FOR INDIAN MULTI ROLE HELICOPTER (IMRH) PROGRAMME
http://www.hal-india.com/Tender_CorrigendumsDetails.aspx?Mkey=63&lKey=&Ckey=MTIxNTg=&Divkey=MTg=

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) FOR REVIEW OF TRANSMISSION SYSTEM OF INDIAN MULTI ROLE HELICOPTER (IMRH) PROGRAMME
http://www.hal-india.com/Tender_CorrigendumsDetails.aspx?Mkey=63&lKey=&Ckey=MTIxNTU=&Divkey=MTg=

abingdonboy

Country flag

To me, looks more like:

+

=

Wasn't India developing a chopper engine along with kaveri? What happened to it?
HAL are developing the HTSE-1200 to power the ALH/LCH and a future 7.5ton-9 ton helo, it is progressing well and will be tested in the next 1-2 years.

I just read the entire thread. The only thing I can't figure out is what the Indian Army plans to do with these 13ton helicopters?
-Boost their integral airlift capacity without having to rely on another service
- Finally acheive their IBG dreams

How many do they plan to induct? And in what role(s)?
- I have heard 150 12-13 ton class helos are what the IA has planned for
- The roles will be in troop transport, utility, arty mobility and CASEVAC/MEDEVAC

If course the IAF are going to feel as though they are being threatened but they will have to adapt, they had tried (and failed) to prevent the IN from getting its own naval air arm (in the 60s) and as much as they may think otherwise, the don't have a monopoly on everything that flies. At some point it will have to be explained to them that they need to focus on other areas central to their role and/or have to justify exactly why they need a helo fleet >500 a/c. With the IA expanding their AAC, the IAF really will find it hard to justify their rotary wing assets, ideally they should all be transferred over to the IA but given the tied up manpower and infrastructure a more likely step will be a gradual draw down.

Adioz

- Finally acheive their IBG dreams
Slightly off-topic. This IBG concept is an integral part of Cold Start right? I have been wanting to get my hands on some information/analysis regarding the new concept of IBG and how it is being implemented within the IA. I suspect that the Strike Corps and Holding Corps classification is already obsolete. Are any sources you know of that discuss this? I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

mendosa

India is pursuing plans to build its own multi-role helicopters...

If all goes as per the plans of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited...
So, why announce it at such an early stage? are they purposely inviting Russian lobby to sabotage it even before the first prototype is ready?

WolfPack86

Country flag
France's Safran Likely To Equip Indian Multi-Role Helicopter With Engines
French firm Safran is likely to become a partner of India's Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL), which has floated a global request for information to manufacture engines to equip locally made multi-role helicopter.

HAL might prefer Safran as its partner for helicopter engines as it had visited India last month to discuss the requirements, said Vijainder Thakur, a defense analyst and retired Indian Air Force squadron leader. He also said that Ukraine is pitching its variant of the Mi-17 helicopter engine.

Safran Helicopter Engines of France is likely to be a front-runner for the supply of engines and consultancy, in addition to General Electric of the U.S. and Rolls-Royce of the U.K.

After having designed the multirole helicopter, there is very less on HAL’s table, other than establishing manufacturing facilities. Even the avionics of the Indian Multirole Helicopter will be imported, Thakur was quoted as saying by DefenseNews Wednesday.

HAL, which is India's sole aircraft and helicopter producer, is developing a 12.5-ton class multi-role helicopter with a service ceiling of about 20,000 feet and a 3,500 kilogram payload.

The company intends to freeze the preliminary design of its IMRH so it can be built over the next 18 months.

About 200 helicopters are proposed to be built for use by Indian defense forces, including Indian Navy, Air Force as well as Army for tactical troops movement, heliborne and amphibious assault, anti-submarine warfare, and anti-surface operations.
If HAL gets support from leading foreign origin equipment manufacturers for engines, landing gear and so on, then it would take easily eight to 10 years for development, the MoD official.

Each IMRH could cost more than $30 million, a HAL official said.

"HAL doesn't have experience in building 10- to 12-ton-class medium helicopters capable of operating from ships to boot," he said.

A HAL official said the proposed IMRH will be powered by twin engines (to be identified), equipped with automatic flight control system, mission systems, and advanced cockpit display and avionic systems, to meet the utility and armed roles of Indian armed forces. A dedicated naval variant is also planned.

http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=262500

SanjeevM

Country flag
This platform should have Indian super Shakti engines at 2700hp - 3500hp each.
If we have such engine, why can't it be given to private sector for mass production? If we are preparing for a 2 front war, we can't rely on foreign suppliers who can stop supplies when we need them the most. If everything from engines to avionics to landing gear are being imported, what is left being indigenous in it? Chassis, interiors?

Butter Chicken

Country flag
If we have such engine, why can't it be given to private sector for mass production? If we are preparing for a 2 front war, we can't rely on foreign suppliers who can stop supplies when we need them the most. If everything from engines to avionics to landing gear are being imported, what is left being indigenous in it? Chassis, interiors?
Shakti engine is not exactly indigenous,almost all components are imported from France and assembled by HAL

Vijyes

Shakti engine is not exactly indigenous,almost all components are imported from France and assembled by HAL
Shakti is not fully imported but the main core is imported. But, yeah, the essence of engine is imported. If everything from landing gear to engine is imported, then the whole point of make in India becomes absurd. I don't understand why the defence research is not being raised to fund R&D. Just make it 3.5 lakh crore by raising fiscal deficit. The bullshit of deficit finance limit is completely absurd. China is borrowing insanely and has a debt of 240% of GDP. It is absurd that India has to control it unnecessarily without any practical alternative. Technology is of utmost importance and that has to be expedited. USA had such helicopters in 1970 itself. India is over 45 years behind and can't even reverse engineer

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Agreed on the want for total indeginization; but we have to allow our allies in otherwise we dont seem credible even to our own team. Sharing information and colaboration has been highlighted for the past few decades in the media; but to me, it seems far fetched that our designers and engineers willingly go all out in imports and customs and forget swadesh.

So its done for foreign relations, and not to undermine technology know how of engineers, designers and military personnel of this most ancient customs highlighting country. I am only waiting for HTSE/FE series and other Indian efforts to begin FOC production.

Last edited:

Vijyes

Agreed on the want for total indeginization; but we have to allow our allies in otherwise we dont seem credible even to our own team. Sharing information and colaboration has been highlighted for the past few decades in the media; but to me, it seems far fetched that our designers and engineers willingly go all out in imports and customs and forget swadesh. So its done for foreign relations, and not to undermine technology know how of engineers, designers and military personnel of this most ancient customs highlighting country. IMO should wait for HT series and other Indian efforts. All of you are morons
That is not very logical. Does France import from India? Why should we alone beg? We don't have an engine which is easy to make and has been done in 1960-70 by USA - the turboshaft engine. Unlike the Turbofan engine, this engine doesn't need complex metallurgy and doesn't have afterburners to cause overheating. That is also why DRDO has been confident of completing it by 2020-21. It is inexcusable that India doesn't make a turboshaft engine

Vijyes

Lol! I just discovered that we can modify the quotes by editing it and make the other person appear bad for writing things which he never wrote!

Filtercoffee

Country flag
That is not very logical. Does France import from India? Why should we alone beg? We don't have an engine which is easy to make and has been done in 1960-70 by USA - the turboshaft engine. Unlike the Turbofan engine, this engine doesn't need complex metallurgy and doesn't have afterburners to cause overheating. That is also why DRDO has been confident of completing it by 2020-21. It is inexcusable that India doesn't make a turboshaft engine
Lol hence the wait. It seems it has permiated into all of us. I believe we had to wait for a catch up from the out side. 7000 years ago these guys were making anti gravity aircraft and energy weapons so im not bothered if they forgot an old gas burner, which won't take time other then a show of lethargy on parts unkown.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles