Indian Missiles are Superior to Chinese in Quality, Says Expert

pmaitra

what are you talking about? didn't we launched AGNI 5?
I am talking about Agni-5. Yes we launched it, and it reached a distance of 5000 km. If anything, it proves it is not an ICBM.

BTW, you did not post the map.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
I am talking about Agni-5. Yes we launched it, and it reached a distance of 5000 km. If anything, it proves it is not an ICBM.

i need to know your arguments regarding why its not ICBM

pmaitra

why, what are your arguments based on?
i need to know your arguments regarding why its not ICBM

Crossposting buddy!

What is the confusion? the re entry speed is an indicator that it is and ICBM. Dunno why you are confused :D

Well officially yes, Mach 25+ was the re entry speed as mentioned in different reports, that is normally for ICBM's.
Well, I am confused whether you agree with these statements or not (quoted below). :)

First sentence of the article:
Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) have ranges of greater than 5,500 km.
Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles

Another one:
ICBM, in full intercontinental ballistic missile, Land-based, nuclear-armed ballistic missile with a range of more than 3,500 miles (5,600 km).
ICBM (missile) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

I hope after this people will stop calling the Agni-5 an ICBM.

Sir, you are capping your 5k + to less then 5500 and saying it is not an ICBM :D
No Sir, if you read, I have always maintained all these claims about Agni-5 being an 'ICBM' are (1) speculation and (2) theoretical. You can go back and check my earlier posts.

Agni-5 went as far as 5000 km (BBC News,BroadSword), therefore, it is not an ICBM. I have provided the definition of ICBM as well, from reputed sources. I rest my case. :namaste:

More information:
Although the DRDO calls the Agni-5 an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), its range of 5000 kilometres puts it --- by most conventional measures --- in the class of intermediate range ballistic missiles (IRBMs), which have ranges of 3,000-5,500 kilometres. The Agni-5's range is carefully calibrated; it can reach targets anywhere except for America and Australia. This would allow it to strike all India's potential adversaries, even as friendly capitals in Western Europe and the US stay out of range. DRDO sources say that, in case of need, the Agni-5 could easily be ramped up into an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), with a range of more than 5500 kilometres.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2012/04/perfect-launch-for-5000-km-range-agni-5.html

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
For ICBM's the accuracy can be off by even a few hundred meters and it
may not matter because the coverage is much greater. Russians are known
for having terrible CEP but they view it as irrelevant in the context of coverage.
Even the newly developed Iskander has a poor CEP but it is irrelevant. Russian
SCUDS in ww2 had terrible CEP but they still helped beat the Germans.
In a specific scenario i agree with you, if you talk about single megaton warhead then accuracy doesn't play important role, but commonly MIRVs are used strategically, suppose if you have to blow Shanghai and Bejing's navy base then you won't need a megaton warhead but small MIRVs and yes they must have accuracy or low CEP i.e. less than 150 meters i think. And DRDO missiles reportedly have 40m CEP which is very good.

SRBMs and IRBMs are good with 100m CEP but when you decrease the range of missile and coverage of warhead you must get higher accuracy or low CEP

Country flag

Scientists have said Agni range will be variable as needed for threat perception.
This is more a political decision than capability.

ashicjose

you said we have proven MIRV capability with the PSLV launch of 10 satellite.

pmaitra

are u saying that agni 5 is not ICBM because it's off by 500KM ? :notsure:
To be precise, it is under the threshold by 500 km. Yes, what I am saying is already posted in my earlier post. Let me know if you disagree with anything.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
To be precise, it is under the threshold by 500 km. Yes, what I am saying is already posted in my earlier post. Let me know if you disagree with anything.
what part of it did u not understand when everybody said that range of agni 5 is under reported by media in order to prevent panic in western countries?

every one from drdo said that range of agni 5 is way more than 5000KM

pmaitra

what part of it did u not understand when everybody said that range of agni 5 is under reported by media in order to prevent panic in western countries?
Everybody said? Who is that everybody? I have quoted BBC and BroadSword. I understood every single part of those who said that Agni-5 is an ICBM. I do not agree with them. As simple as that.

Country flag
In a specific scenario i agree with you, if you talk about single megaton warhead then accuracy doesn't play important role, but commonly MIRVs are used strategically, suppose if you have to blow Shanghai and Bejing's navy base then you won't need a megaton warhead but small MIRVs and yes they must have accuracy or low CEP i.e. less than 150 meters i think. And DRDO missiles reportedly have 40m CEP which is very good.

SRBMs and IRBMs are good with 100m CEP but when you decrease the range of missile and coverage of warhead you must get higher accuracy or low CEP
Most US MIRV's CEP is around 90 -120 Peacekeepers and Trident.
That in real world means after travelling thousands of kilometers the
accuracy would be within .1 mile with a CEP of 100.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag

every one from drdo said that range of agni 5 is way more than 5000KM
plus, yusuf and saya have proof that agni 5 is way more than 5000KM, ping them, they will give it to you..

they have also posted that proof somewhere in agni 5 thread

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Everybody said? Who is that everybody? I have quoted BBC and BroadSword. I understood every single part of those who said that Agni-5 is an ICBM. I do not agree with them. As simple as that.
BBC and BroadSword :pft: :pft: :rofl:

visit agni 5 thread, you will find all links to the interview with drdo guys.. listen to them.. it will clear your doubts

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles