Indian Military Trucks

Butter Chicken

Country flag
I read somewhere that Ashok Leyland will replace 2000 old Army trucks,is it true?

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Its a Ukrainian truck..

The train carries Indian, Ukrainian and Russian and as well as czech republic trucks of just one unit, Really a logistic nightmare ..
But what is the point of transporting a truck on a train(understand the logic of transporting tanks and APC using trains as it is n times economical)????

aditya g

Country flag
They could have avoided the curvy sheet metal. How are the army guys going to keep it pretty in the field? I like the TATA FAT

We are using stallions all are from A&L ..

Recently A&L replacing heavy duty artillery tractors and ambulances, It previously won the contract to upgrade grads..

=================

tejas warrior

Country flag
Maruti's Gypsy on its way out; Tata Safari to be new Army vehicle

NEW DELHI: The Army will replace its iconicMaruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, ET has learnt that Tata Motorsbeat off the Mahindra Group, which fielded its Scorpio SUV for thecompetition that kicked off in 2013. Both locally developed SUVs passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in all conditions – from high-altitude, snow-bound regions to deserts and marshy land.

However, the Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal to the army, which has sought to replace its fleet of Gypsyvehicles that are used extensively at the battalion level to transport troops and officers.

The army has over 30,000 Maruti Gypsyvehicles in service and willprogressively replace them starting next year. “The initial order is for 3,198 new SUVs but the total number is likely to go much beyond that. The army prefers a single model across its units and formations as it is easier on logistics,” an official involved in the process told ET.

While the Gypsy has been an army favourite for its ability to navigate tough terrain, the need was felt for a new SUV with additional safety features and more power that runs on diesel, a fuel that’s more readily available, given its large fleet of trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.

Once signed, this will be the second major order for Tata Motors this year, having bagged a Rs 1,300 crore deal in January to supply high-mobility military trucks for the army. The 6x6 high-mobility vehicles can be used for various purposes – from transporting men and material to being the platform for multi-barrel rocket launchers and surface-to-air missile systems.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Maruti's Gypsy on its way out; Tata Safari to be new Army vehicle

NEW DELHI: The Army will replace its iconicMaruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, ET has learnt that Tata Motorsbeat off the Mahindra Group, which fielded its Scorpio SUV for thecompetition that kicked off in 2013. Both locally developed SUVs passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in all conditions – from high-altitude, snow-bound regions to deserts and marshy land.

However, the Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal to the army, which has sought to replace its fleet of Gypsyvehicles that are used extensively at the battalion level to transport troops and officers.

The army has over 30,000 Maruti Gypsyvehicles in service and willprogressively replace them starting next year. “The initial order is for 3,198 new SUVs but the total number is likely to go much beyond that. The army prefers a single model across its units and formations as it is easier on logistics,” an official involved in the process told ET.

While the Gypsy has been an army favourite for its ability to navigate tough terrain, the need was felt for a new SUV with additional safety features and more power that runs on diesel, a fuel that’s more readily available, given its large fleet of trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.

Once signed, this will be the second major order for Tata Motors this year, having bagged a Rs 1,300 crore deal in January to supply high-mobility military trucks for the army. The 6x6 high-mobility vehicles can be used for various purposes – from transporting men and material to being the platform for multi-barrel rocket launchers and surface-to-air missile systems.
I can't see the Safari being as versatile as the gypsy. Do they plan to use these in field conditions? Would love to see battlefield customisation of this one by the Army.

BTW, why did the Army reject the Mahindra Axe? Did it reject only the current model or is it rejected for good?
I was hoping to see it in Indian service.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Our own Indian Army use 2.5ton TATA truck modifications regularly on fields areas more than General purpose vehicles, Know you Army first and your own kind.

===========

Normal troop transporter

Improvised Cabinet mounted, For transportation purpose in tough weather.

Field ambulance version.

Water tanker

Patrol vehicle
-----------------

It took place of Nissan 1 ton, Few of you may not know about it as it existed and retired, before many of you born.

Its the best vehicle that Army had after Jonga and shaktiman, Though Stallion is better than Shaktiman and a true replacement, But still their no true replacement came for other two.

================

Read up the thread, This thread is about Army general purpose vehicle bot LSV or MPV, Their are other thread for other such discussions.

TATA Safari which will come into service will not be same as Civilian version, Its best not to compare it with it on first place, Just like TATA Sumo example as posted on this very thread.

they r planning to replace entire gypsy fleet....do u think that heavy weight, fully packed tata storme can be use in war field ?
I read that IED attacks(similar attacks by naxals) on our forces....

I fear that these attacks are more to come and usind TATA in Kashmir will only increase our soldiers loss, in protection point of view I feel that it is no where close to Humvee.

So can anyone suggest how to deal with this problem
Do you know the kerb weight of a Land Rover? Its 2000kg. Is it used in a war? yes.
From mountains to deserts to swamps. By British Army and special forces.

Weight has got nothing to do with the utility of a vehicle. Far too many things involved.
Its like using horse to do the work of elephant. Is this 500kg limit is necessary for this kind of job?

Krusty

Country flag
If youre concerned that the safari doesnt perform in Ladakh, dont worry.
It goes right upto khardung la without any issues.
most vehicles available to civilians today will make it. I'm not saying the safari will not make it.That is not the point. It's not the same as me driving up to Khardung la. In combat situations where it has to pull a lot of weight very quickly across rough terrain. That is the issue. I could actually feel the drop in performance when I was driving my friends Scorpio which was not even heavily loaded up harshil and that's only about 12000 feet. Imagine carrying 800kgs of men in full combat gear and possibly towing something else as fast as possible under enemy fire at 15000 feet where every second matters..

Krusty

Country flag
Its like using horse to do the work of elephant. Is this 500kg limit is necessary for this kind of job?
Horse will do horses job. As for elephant jobs, IA has the medium/heavy 4x4 trucks and 6x6 if really needed. What kind of jobs are you talking about? Can you give examples?

Edit: never mind, @Kunal Biswas covered it comprehensively in his previous post.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I assume Safari is in 800kg catagory ..
Actually its civilian version is a 2 tonner. Can't say about the one offered to IA. With bigger and wider radial tires, I don't see its weight coming down substantially.

Krusty

Country flag
Actually its civilian version is a 2 tonner. Can't say about the one offered to IA. With bigger and wider radial tires, I don't see its weight coming down substantially.
800 is not the weight of the vehicle. Gs500 and 800 are the payload they are supposed to carry

Global Defence

New threads

Articles