Indian MBRLS Pinaka Thread

Enquirer

I never said any of the things that you're mouth frothing about.
I am saying that your 'conclusions' are premature (you might as well have pulled it from your orifice)! First (one) flight is not the basis for determining the CEP! The official (design) CEP is 60m-80m from ARDE's own brochure!
The design CEP could be based on the frequency at which GPS signal is received, response times of the actuators etc
@HariPrasad-1

From DRDO's 2017 annual report: Guided Pinaka achieved an accuracy of 5m at a range of 65kms & an accuracy of 2m at a range of 75kms!!
That's spectacular!!!
Essentially Guided Pinaka could deliver
-15-20 times the weight of an Excalibur warhead
- at 2 times the range of Excalibur
- with just 1.5 times the cost of Excalibur
- and 'similar' accuracy of Excalibur

Hope future tests also prove to be that successful! DRDO is now officially quoting the accuracy as "< 60-80m" ;which is weird - why quote a 'range' for accuracy and also use '<' !!!

Kalki_2018

Country flag
Prahaar is not in service with IA and will be refined a lot before even testing begins. It is a battle field missile not a rocket. Hopefully they can increase the range to 200+ km.

Pandeyji

Country flag
Guided Pinaka achieved an accuracy of 5m at a range of 65kms & an accuracy of 2m at a range of 75kms!!
Wait, the accuracy is higher at 75 kms as compared to 65 kms? I think either you or DRDO messed up

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Prahaar is not in service with IA and will be refined a lot before even testing begins. It is a battle field missile not a rocket. Hopefully they can increase the range to 200+ km.
Actually Indian army has not found any use of prahar for them. It is a great missile with single digit accuracy but army don'y want it.

Enquirer

Wait, the accuracy is higher at 75 kms as compared to 65 kms? I think either you or DRDO messed up
Statistically speaking 2m and 5m are almost the same for a GPS guided rocket.
During guidance, errors keep accumulating and then keep getting resolved - repeatedly. It's just a matter of where the rocket was (in terms of the error/resolution duty cycle) when the target was hit!
Per ARDE's design spec the accuracy of the rocket is SAME at ALL ranges!!

Even if you ignore physics&electronics and just think logically - the 5m & 2m distance from the target could be BEYOND the target as the rocket flies towards it - as in, the rocket always overshoots, but the overshoot (predictably & 'logically') decreases with increased range. Does that make logical sense? :)

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Actually speaking, these sort of weapon are great force multiplier as they do the work hitting enemy at a very low cost. Glide bomb does the work even more cheaply. When we tested SAAW, one of our scientist said that it is even more accurate than missile. So it is an even more cost effective solution of hitting enemy target.

Bhurki

Does somebody have a general price breakdown here...
A regiment consists of 3 batteries that is 18 launchers, 18 loaders, 9 replenishment vehicles, 6 command posts and 3 radar vehicle.. For a price of rs. 2400 crore. ? ..
(Considering six regiments cost 14633 crore when cleared by DAC).. On the other hand Tata SED got a contract to make 20 launchers and 8 command posts for only 200 crore ..

Enquirer

Does somebody have a general price breakdown here...
A regiment consists of 3 batteries that is 18 launchers, 18 loaders, 9 replenishment vehicles, 6 command posts and 3 radar vehicle.. For a price of rs. 2400 crore. ? ..
(Considering six regiments cost 14633 crore when cleared by DAC).. On the other hand Tata SED got a contract to make 20 launchers and 8 command posts for only 200 crore ..
Both Pinaka Mk1 & Mk2 'rockets' cost $33K each. The launcher, replenishment, loader vehicle will each have different prices. The weather radar is of course imported from a Finnish company.

Bhurki

Both Pinaka Mk1 & Mk2 'rockets' cost $33K each. The launcher, replenishment, loader vehicle will each have different prices. The weather radar is of course imported from a Finnish company.
In a regiment.. 216 pinaka on launcher,
216 on loader, 216 in storage ..so 648 rockets amounting to around 150 crore.
From the Tata contract , a regiment worth of launcher and command posts cost 200 crore. The loader (crane)and replenisher(can storage) is based on the same platform(8x8), so another 200 crore. Thats about Rs. 550 crore .
So the radar is worth 1800 crore ($260 mil +)..
One hell of a radar it should be..

Advaidhya Tiwari

From the Tata contract , a regiment worth of launcher and command posts cost 200 crore. The loader (crane)and replenisher(can storage) is based on the same platform(8x8), so another 200 crore. Thats about Rs. 550 crore .
The AESA radar of RBE-2AA costs 5 million dollars. So, the radar is unlikely to be that expensive, considering that the technology is inferior to AESA.

I think there are some things which are kept classified and not released to media, mainly the quantity part

Enquirer

You massively underestimated the storage! Even by the most conservative estimate, I would expect about 10 reloads (even if all are not carried onto the front all at once)
Can you imagine a Pinaka launcher firing 3 full salvos during war and then becoming useless??

Skdas

I think 10 salvos of MLRS on anything/anybody will be a scene from hell. Forget the warhead, even the kinetic energy of a dummy round is good enough for significant damage to residential buildings. A thermobaric Air-Fuel warhead on that will definately bring down a structure, if not then kill all its residents...
You massively underestimated the storage! Even by the most conservative estimate, I would expect about 10 reloads (even if all are not carried onto the front all at once)
Can you imagine a Pinaka launcher firing 3 full salvos during war and then becoming useless??
...Now think what 2.5k of that can do. It will literally rain hell.

Bhurki

I think there are some things which are kept classified and not released to media, mainly the quantity part
I dont' think they keep it classified... The system is literally out for export. Its main competitor Smerch has been up for sale for decades now... And i'm sure you can find pretty much every kind of info possible about that

Bhurki

10 salvos still equal about around 500 crore... Dont want to annoy anybody with nitpicking.. Just felt it requires some explanation..

Bhurki

I think 10 salvos of MLRS on anything/anybody will be a scene from hell. Forget the warhead, even the kinetic energy of a dummy round is good enough for significant damage to residential buildings. A thermobaric Air-Fuel warhead on that will definately bring down a structure, if not then kill all its residents...

...Now think what 2.5k of that can do. It will literally rain hell.
I'm sure it'll be enough to change the geography of the local area ... I personally think rockets are under rated in the age of missiles.. The sheer amount of damage a single battalion can do with 50 kg fragmented type warhead is literally breath taking..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles