Indian laws are sexist

Phantom

It is absolutely sexist. But as your link mentions, it was drafted in 1860 by the British, so what else do you expect?

Fun fact: Over 80% of the laws currently on the books in India were not drafted by Indians, but by the British pre-independence. The administrative system is more or less the same as well, as are the law enforcement and justice systems.
Our Penal Code needs some urgent reforms and updates. But the problem is that due to the lack of uniformity in Human development in India, many of the people still need these 1860-ish laws to teach them civility that is expected of modern societies. When our mindsets change and institutions like Khap panchayats that advocate revenge-rape are completely removed, perhaps the laws can be suitably amended then.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Our Penal Code needs some urgent reforms and updates. But the problem is that due to the lack of uniformity in Human development in India, many of the people still need these 1860-ish laws to teach them civility that is expected of modern societies. When our mindsets change and institutions like Khap panchayats that advocate revenge-rape are completely removed, perhaps the laws can be suitably amended then.
I don't see what's needed in the language of this particular law. It could easily be amended and made gender neutral, and then males could be recognized as rape victims as well. It's a question of adding something extra to the existing law to make it gender neutral, we won't be taking anything away from it.

janme

Country flag
Although i don't question the content of this thread but i surely question the intent of the OP in opening this thread. This guy is a known troll/anti-India baiter in that popular paki forum.
He has been banned from that Pak forum now :rofl:

Phantom

I don't see what's needed in the language of this particular law. It could easily be amended and made gender neutral, and then males could be recognized as rape victims as well. It's a question of adding something extra to the existing law to make it gender neutral, we won't be taking anything away from it.
I said it needed updates because our Sodomy laws aren't consistent with modern values, and the Laws do not acknowledge that Males can be harassed too. The definition of victims need to be Gender neutral, as you pointed out. But the perpetrators are almost always male, and rapes are more often than not experienced by females. If the society is heavily tilted in favour of males, I guess the Laws cannot take a gender-Equal standpoint as far as the perpetrators are concerned.

airpower183

I said it needed updates because our Sodomy laws aren't consistent with modern values, and the Laws do not acknowledge that Males can be harassed too. The definition of victims need to be Gender neutral, as you pointed out. But the perpetrators are almost always male, and rapes are more often than not experienced by females. If the society is heavily tilted in favour of males, I guess the Laws cannot take a gender-Equal standpoint as far as the perpetrators are concerned.
statistically speaking most rape charges brought against females are rapes on minor.

Even if there was no aggravation in the offense, it automatically gets upgraded to 2nd degree due to the victim being a vulnerable person.

This women got a 30 year sentence for forcing a 13 year old boy to touch her breast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles