rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Re: Indian Kailash Satyarthi and Pak's Malala Yousafzay win Nobel peac

Irony of this year's nobel peace prize is one recipient "talks less works more" other one "works less talks more".if at all they wanted to bring the distinction between india pakistan and hindu muslim they could have given it to Abdul Sattar Edhi and i am sure and hopefully there are many more deserving candidates in pakistan.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Once again, the toothless committee of unexceptional Norwegians has bestowed the world's highest honor not for achievement, but for expectation.

A man is driving down a country road, when he spots a farmer standing in the middle of a huge field of grass. He pulls the car over to the side of the road and notices that the farmer is just standing there, doing nothing, looking at nothing.

The man gets out of the car, walks all the way out to the farmer and asks him, "Ah excuse me mister, but what are you doing?"

The farmer replies, "I'm trying to win a Nobel Prize."

"How?" asks the man, puzzled.

"Well, I heard they give the Nobel Prize . . . to people who are out standing in their field."

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

people like him deserves a noble prize for the social work he has done

A will to serve humanity has been 73-year-old Kalyanasundaram's guiding principle throughout his life. A gold medalist in library science, he also holds a masters degree in literature and history. During his 35-year-long career at Kumarkurupara Arts College at Srivaikuntam, he diligently and willingly donated his salary month after month towards charity and did odd jobs to meet his daily needs. Even after retirement, he worked as a waiter in a hotel in exchange for two meals a day and a meagre salary so that he could continue to donate to orphanages and to children's educational funds.

He was amply rewarded for his service to humanity. The Union government acclaimed him as the best librarian in India. The International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, has honoured him as one of the 'noblest of the world' and the United Nations adjudged him as one of the most outstanding people of the 20th century. He also received Man of the Millenium award and Life Time of Service Award from Rotary Club of India in 2011.

"People think that I started doing charity when I was young by donating clothes and helping people study, and they attribute it to a public cause, but I insist it was for a private one. The place where I lived was a tiny village with no provision for roads, buses, schools, electricity, and there was not even a shop to buy a matchbox from. I had to walk 10km to school and back and walking all that way alone can be a pretty lonesome experience. Hence, I had this thought that if I could motivate most of the children to come with me to school, it would be great fun as well."

73-year-old Tamil Nadu librarian donated Rs 30 crore to the uneducated poor | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Last edited:

Free Karma

Counter view:

My Experience With Kailash Satyarthi's Bachpan Bachao Andolan Was Anything But Nobel-Worthy - Forbes

This was early 2008. I was reporting a story for Forbes Magazine on use of child labor in India by western companies. I traveled from Monsanto's MON -0.9% cotton fields in Andhra Pradesh to the granite quarries in Rajasthan to the slums of Delhi to the carpet belt in Uttar Pradesh. In each place I saw children, hard at work, in pathetic, and dangerous conditions, making products that would be bought by customers in the U.S. and other parts of the world. And all they earned at the end of it was a few measly cents.

Child labor is a serious problem in India, and in many developing countries for that matter. The Nobel Committee by awarding the extremely prestigious Nobel Peace Prize today to Kailash Satyarthi who, through his NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan (that loosely translates into Movement to Save Childhood) campaigns for child rights and an end to trafficking, brings global attention to a global problem. (The prize was jointly awarded to Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzai of Pakistan, the teenager who was shot in the head by the Taliban in 2012 for her campaigning on behalf of girls' education in the Swat Valley of Pakistan.)

But Satyarthi, and his BBA, is a flawed hero and I have first-hand experience of it.

While reporting the story for Forbes I met with BBA representatives (not Satyarthi, but a deputy). BBA had some credibility, for sure. It had busted a subcontractor of Gap Inc. using child labor just a few months earlier and the incident had made a huge splash. The BBA representative told me that apart from the garment sector, one area that had one of the worst problems of child labor was the carpet belt in Uttar Pradesh. I remember the guy's words to date: each house, each village is filled with children making carpets for export.

I said, show me.

We set off from Delhi and drove around a few villages but I only saw adults weaving carpets. As my suspicion became more obvious, and my questions more pertinent, the guy finally took me to one house and told me to wait in the car while he went in first. That, itself, was not a good sign in my book so I immediately followed. In the verandah of the house I was shown two boys, 6 years old or so, who were sitting before a loom. When I asked them to show their weaving skills, they didn't have a clue what was expected of them. More importantly, they were wearing steel grey shorts and shirts–a typical school uniform in India.

The problem is that the more children you show "rescued", the more funds you get from foreign donors. That's not to say that child labor isn't a vast, and severe, problem in India. It is. And the fact remains that every time you buy an imported handmade carpet, an embroidered pair of jeans, a beaded purse, a decorated box or a soccer ball there's a good chance you're acquiring something fashioned by a child.

And yes, child labor exists in the carpet industry as well (sadly it is still alive and kicking.) After confronting the BBA folks, I traveled on my own and saw plenty of it, including 14-year-old Rakil Momeen who I met working on a loom in Mirzapur in U.P. A fourth-grade dropout, he had left his parents in West Bengal and trekked halfway across the country and had been in his job weaving carpets for a year when we met. In his new life he worked from 6 a.m. to 11p.m. and earned $25 a month. A cricket fan, he cared more about missing playing cricket with his friends in his village, rather than the nicks and cuts that were the norm of carpet weaving.

None of this is to say BBA hasn't done good work. It has. But it is a flawed hero and we need to be aware of that.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

I am really feeling proud of Kailash Satyarthi. Congratulations to him and that Pakistani girl.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Exactly, compare Malala to Aung San Suu Kyi, who stayed in Burma in the thick of the Junta's regime, and pushed for reforms. Malala is a UK media creation because the rich in UK need someone or something cleanse their conscience off from time to time. And so they're seen doing Congress-styled misery-shouldering.

As for Kailash Satyarthi, I honestly never knew who the F he was before today.

It only goes to show that the Nobel Peace Prize has lost its worth. Something that's given to Obama (who slaughters innocents in Afpak on a daily basis); and not MK Gandhi, has no meaning. It has become an instrument of the global power elite to send political messages.
No offense meant but why are you so "jelly" of Nobel Prize winners. The Nobel Prize has not lost its worth FYI.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Process of Nomination and Selection
The Norwegian Nobel Committee is responsible for selecting the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates. A nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize may be submitted by any persons who are qualified to nominate.

Qualified Nominators
According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

"¢ Members of national assemblies and governments of states
"¢ Members of international courts
"¢ University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
"¢ Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
"¢ Board members of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
"¢ Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1)
"¢ Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee )
Candidacy Criteria
The candidates eligible for the Nobel Peace Prize are those persons or organizations nominated by qualified individuals, see above. A nomination for yourself will not be taken into consideration.

Selection of Nobel Laureates
The Norwegian Nobel Committee is responsible for the selection of eligible candidates and the choice of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates. The Committee is composed of five members appointed by the Storting (Norwegian parliament). The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded in Oslo, Norway, not in Stockholm, Sweden, where the Nobel Prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and the Economics Prize are awarded.
Nomination and Selection of Peace Prize Laureates

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

No offense meant but why are you so "jelly" of Nobel Prize winners. The Nobel Prize has not lost its worth FYI.
Hardly. I take issue with the Nobel being used to send political messages by the global power elite. It happened with Obama, that Chinese pro-democracy dissident, and now these two. I refuse to believe that it's a coincidence a Paki and Indian got it at the same time, and when India is beginning to finally pay Pakistan back in its coin, at the IB. The award is going to be used to dissuade India from maintaining the conflict in LoC any further (when in fact it's defending itself). The power elite want India to cow down, or end up looking evil. Pakis will use Malala for their "peace" PR, and somehow portray India as the aggressor.

You already have opinion-vomiting orifices like Firstpost questioning if peace-price going to Indian and Pakistanis will bring "shame" to armies in LoC, conveniently overlooking the fact that India is defending, and Pakistan is provoking.

GoI should come out with a statement assuring the Army that this Nobel will have zero impact on the situation in Kashmir.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

See what I mean? These two are going to piss on India's de-hyphenation efforts that took decades to achieve.

Nobel Peace Prize winners Kailash Satyarthi, Malala Yousafzai call for better Indo-Pak ties - IBNLive

Pakistan is an inferior country to India on every metric. It is a smaller country. It has 1/6th the population. It has a weaker economy. It has a worse human-rights record. Pakistan isn't even in the same league as India. So when these two whiteman-approved people use "India and Pakistan must ..." in a sentence, then it's inadvertently against India's interests. Hyphenation with Pakistan on any matter whatsoever is against India's interests, global interests, and aspirations to become a power center in the world.

What hyphenation does is elevate Pakistan to India's level, so Pakistan can wrongfully conduct its global discourse, PR, and attract investments, at India's expense.

Last edited:

Free Karma

See what I mean? These two are going to piss on India's de-hyphenation efforts that took decades to achieve.

Nobel Peace Prize winners Kailash Satyarthi, Malala Yousafzai call for better Indo-Pak ties - IBNLive

Pakistan is an inferior country to India on every metric. It is a smaller country. It has 1/6th the population. It has a weaker economy. It has a worse human-rights record. Pakistan isn't even in the same league as India. So when these two whiteman-approved people use "India and Pakistan must ..." in a sentence, then it's inadvertently against India's interests. Hyphenation with Pakistan on any matter whatsoever is against India's interests, global interests, and aspirations to become a power center in the world.

What hyphenation does is elevate Pakistan to India's level, so Pakistan can wrongfully conduct its global discourse, PR, and attract investments, at India's expense.
Even more fun! Malala wants Modi, Sharif to attend Nobel Award ceremony - Hindustan Times :lol:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Nawaz may go, because he wants every excuse to get away from Islamabad, and stay in costly hotels at the Paki taxpayer's expense, and then go back home empty handed (unlike Modi, who stayed in a frugal business-class hotel in New York, and came back home with potentially $40B in investments). There's nothing Modi can bring back from Norway except fish and hyphenation with Pakistan.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

satyarthi deserted this award for his work against child labour.
child labour directly affects poverty as child becomes illiterate affecting economic, social and cultural development.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

As Malala Yousafzai wins this year's award, human rights groups call for 2010 winner Liu Xiaobo not being able to receive his Prize should not to be forgotten as he remains locked in a Chinese jail serving an 11-year sentence

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

[tweet]520800046703333376[/tweet] :lol:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Hardly. I take issue with the Nobel being used to send political messages by the global power elite. It happened with Obama, that Chinese pro-democracy dissident, and now these two. I refuse to believe that it's a coincidence a Paki and Indian got it at the same time, and when India is beginning to finally pay Pakistan back in its coin, at the IB. The award is going to be used to dissuade India from maintaining the conflict in LoC any further (when in fact it's defending itself). The power elite want India to cow down, or end up looking evil. Pakis will use Malala for their "peace" PR, and somehow portray India as the aggressor.

You already have opinion-vomiting orifices like Firstpost questioning if peace-price going to Indian and Pakistanis will bring "shame" to armies in LoC, conveniently overlooking the fact that India is defending, and Pakistan is provoking.

GoI should come out with a statement assuring the Army that this Nobel will have zero impact on the situation in Kashmir.
Sir I get your point. I am only pointing out that Satyarthi deserves the prize.

I am admitting that winning a Nobel Prize is not everything. Many people like the writer Jean Paul Sartre had refused it. Also it had been previously awarded to several dubious people . However Kailash Satyarthi really deserved this prize unlike Mallala. Child labour is a reality that India cannot deny and hide. I see this in my college canteen everyday. Satyarthi may have only rescued a few children and left out many but his work is certainly laudable. Many people here in DFI are saying that there are thousands of other noble souls in India who deserve the prize. Of course they certainly do. However this people do not do social work just to get accolades. Satyarthi winning the Nobel prize is does not make their work less noble. Also Satyarthi seems to be a good man. Unlike Mallala he did not invite Nawaz Shariff and Modi to the ceremony. He said to the NDTV interviewer that he was not going to do any political or diplomatic action and that "he knows his limits".

As for the western conspiracy theories that are going around, I think they are outright ridiculous. Granting a Nobel Prize will not stop India from retaliating to Pakistani aggression. India is not a slave to foreign powers and should give little importance to what they care.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

This is true but just look at what Satyarthi has spoken and what that little "know it all" media creation Malala has. Malala seems to be aiming to bring world wide peace to all nations. I do not know how she will achieve this. Maybe she will ask us all to convert to her religion of peace.(I am secular so take it as a joke).

Satyarthi has said that freeing children is his main aim and that the prize is for the millions of children who are doing hard work. In the NDTV interview Satyarthi seems to be a humble man and he rarely showed any intention of becoming India`s spokesperson unlike Malala who has become Pakistan`s great Mistress protector.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles