Indian interest in V-22 Osprey intensifies

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned

The Indian armed forces appear ready to consider the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey as a possible future platform. What began as a preliminary interest in the world's only operational tilt-rotor aircraft, has blossomed into a specific set of missions that the Indian services have flagged as possible future Osprey roles in India. While it has been known for a while that the Indian Navy has shown preliminary interest in the Osprey as a potential carrier-borne AEW&C platform (and therefore for carrier on-board delivery), it is now known that the Indian Air Force has asked for briefings on the aircraft for the combat search & rescue (CSAR) and special forces roles.

The Indian forces have also flagged specific queries about the V-22"²s ability to fly to the country's island territories in the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea. The platform's unfuelled range has elicited sharp interest. After acquiring the C-130J for the special operations role, the IAF is now extremely keen on considering the hugely flexible tilt-rotor role as it expands its special forces capability in tandem with the Army.

IAF sources informed SP's, "After a shaky start, the V-22 is now a proven platform with the US Marine Corps and it has demonstrated its capabilities well in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have requested preliminary information based on certain scenarios which we have arrived at, which could possible be addressed by a tilt-rotor aircraft like the V-22." A team from Bell and Boeing held unofficial briefings with Indian armed forces officials at the recently Aero India 2013 show in Bengaluru.

The US Marine Corps uses the V-22 for combat assault, amphibious assault and sustained land operations, while the US Air Force CV-22 is for for long-range special operations and contingency operations. The Indian Air Force would be interested in all of these missions for a possible special operations role in the future, as also for humanitarian relief.

Indian interest in V-22 Osprey intensifies | idrw.org

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How many V22s you need for CSAR activities? 1? 2? 3?

Don't we have better alternatives already for carrier borne AEWC operations? How many carriers about to be inducted in couple of years now will have space for V22s?

How many stations you need to operate V22s in island activities while looking at V22's range? What is geographical scope of India compared to Iraq/Afganistan?

Do we have enough air-tankers?

Special forces are better off with Hercules & other choppers.

Country flag
@nrj I agree I don't see what role osprey would play in Indian arsenal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nrj

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The bird has matured and proven itself. Indian forces should get it if there is a need for it. I think on the face of it, it appears useful in a variety of roles. Cannot write off this bird for India.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
How many V22s you need for CSAR activities? 1? 2? 3?

Don't we have better alternatives already for carrier borne AEWC operations? How many carriers about to be inducted in couple of years now will have space for V22s?

How many stations you need to operate V22s in island activities while looking at V22's range? What is geographical scope of India compared to Iraq/Afganistan?

Do we have enough air-tankers?

Special forces are better off with Hercules & other choppers.
You are right but Indian Navy has no AEWC which can operate on shore based airbase or AC . niether they have a tanker

2020 they will have INS Vikramaditya & INS Vikrant if both are not delayed , Ski jump AC cannot support E-2 HAWKEYE , do we have any other aircraft which fits the bill for Navy ?:confused:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the v22 is pushed by the US but it will be a very expensive platform and india would be able to purchase only a small number.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Albeit under development, IMHO Sikorsky X2 is a much more potent platform for IA & SF. Only need for V22 is IN carrier based AWACS.

Blackwater

wonderful practical and futuristic concept ,very useful for all type of forces,

prey to GOD ,there will no kickback and early order and delivery

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
I have also seen this bird when I went out west at an airbase;it is a nice aircraft but the exact
role for Indian services is illusive??

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
You are right but Indian Navy has no AEWC which can operate on shore based airbase or AC . niether they have a tanker

2020 they will have INS Vikramaditya & INS Vikrant if both are not delayed , Ski jump AC cannot support E-2 HAWKEYE , do we have any other aircraft which fits the bill for Navy ?:confused:
AEWC variant of V22 does not exist. Going for that costly unproven variant includes risk for what?

E2D, E2 are far better options compared to cost, procurement & most importantly training, inventory management, resource development. Moreover, once Elta 2032/52 technology is absorbed by desi players, Indian forces can field their own better AEWC replacements, its just matter of time.

Bell/Boeing is trying to push down something like V22 down IN's throat because of absence of orders & competition from NG, Raytheon in relevant proposals. But they are wrong if they think IN will accept their offer, IN's acquisition arm is far more professional and has good record of no nonsense.

Bell/Boeing can make as many presentations as they want to forces on V22 but honestly, that aircraft is not suitable for our operations, especially in the times of financial crunch.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its better to go for E-2D AWACS Hawkeye which is offered to India and specially design to operate from sky jump platform ..

It has limited range but better than projected V22 based AWACS..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
. But they are wrong if they think IN will accept their offer, IN's acquisition arm is far more professional and has good record of no nonsense.
Ahem I would not say that post Choppergate. Implication of the esrtwhile chief of the branch of the forces has severely dented the credibility. Anything possible these days!

lookieloo

Its better to go for E-2D AWACS Hawkeye which is offered to India and specially design to operate from sky jump platform ..
I don't think the E-2/C-2 will work off a ramp or fit down the Vikramaditya's elevator hole. In any case, the USN sticks with those platforms because they're already there; but since the IN is starting from scratch... eh, who knows, maybe India can just revive the Yak-44 program.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Ahem I would not say that post Choppergate. Implication of the esrtwhile chief of the branch of the forces has severely dented the credibility. Anything possible these days!
Anything is possible, That is true. But I hope that Naval Chief maintains the credibility of his predecessors.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

SilentKiller

Country flag

It has limited range but better than projected V22 based AWACS..
But only IAC 2 will be able to support it. E-2D is good platform.
We can use hecipoter based AWACS on other carriers meanwhile.
We do have some Ka-31 i guess.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its the preformance & Capability, E-2D is much better than KA-31 ..

KA-31 is present IN Airborne early warning system..

But only IAC 2 will be able to support it. E-2D is good platform.We can use hecipoter based AWACS on other carriers meanwhile.
We do have some Ka-31 i guess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles