Indian fishermen will be shot if they cross border, says Sri Lankan PM

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Re: Indian fishermen will be shot if they cross border, says Sri Lanka

This applies to the Palk Strait region only if the TN fisherman consider it as "Innocent passage".
You don't have to justify it mate.

It is some local politicians who make it dirty to play their own politics.

The banes of a parliamentary democracy rather than a presidential unitary system which is far more disciplined and iron willed.

Ranil is well within his rights to defend your country's interests.

Wonder what those welfare associations of TN do in educating fishermen not to cross international border.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

TN govt has no control on this centre.

Maybe the last govt but not this one. Technically the Lankans aren't wrong.

A lot of our fishermen go there for a bigger catch which is illegal as per international norms. Historical Tamil sentiments cannot be a pre-text to disrespect the current international laws.

When we strongly protest against illegal Bangladeshis, we must have the honour to disallow this as well.

Those political parties in TN that incite the local fishermen to go and get trapped with SL so that they can play politics with the centre should be interrogated, arrested and charged for act of endangering the citizens of India.

For this, Tamil Nadu's people must raise awareness and take initiative to help the fishermen of the country not cross into international waters.

What Ranil Wickramasinghe said was just a statement that India didn't have the balls to tell Bangladeshi Miyas due to a disease called Secularism.

As the PM of Sri Lanka, he has the right to protect his national interests.

It is upto us to teach, educate and make our fishermen aware not to cross onto the other side, just because there are SL Tamils living there and have a common language.
Yes i agree with you. i heard that Tamil fishers sneak into SL waters without getting noticed by indian coast guard . Is it true??

DingDong

Country flag

Yes i agree with you. i heard that Tamil fishers sneak into SL waters without getting noticed by indian coast guard . Is it true??
According to the Indian CG, Several times they ignore CG's advice/warning and just cross over waving tata-bbye at the CG ships.

Sri Lanka has the right to defend it's maritime boundary, but shooting the fishermen will be too harsh (although not wrong, their house their rules).

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Maybe someone from TN can tell us.

I am from the mountains, dude. :D

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

Several times they ignore CG's advice/warning and just cross over waving tata-bbye at the CG ships.
:pound::pound::rotflmao:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

Maybe someone from TN can tell us.

I am from the mountains, dude. :D
Oh sorry !! Are you from himachal pradesh??

skumar7777

I agree that TN fishermen are in the wrong when fishing in Lankan waters. This is a problem that India has to fix. SL has every right to defend its natural resources.

I am not surprised at the extreme reaction of the Lankan Navy. When something happens once or twice or thrice, it is pardonable. However when this happens regularly every day, it betrays a lack of intent from our side. The government has to show that it is taking measures to address the issues - something that is visible to the Lankans and to our fishermen. One measure that I can think of is an ultimatum to our fishermen - a declaration the Indian government will not support any fishermen who is arrested by the Lankans. The issue of livelihood cannot condone thievery. At the same time, the penalty for thievery cannot be death, the GoI cannot allow the Lankans to shoot at our fishermen. There are remedial measures for that, by upping the ante on pressure points.

Apart from that, the statement linking this to the issue of Italian sailors shows how ill-informed or malicious the SL PM is. How can he compare this issue to the cold blooded death at the hands of two Italian sailors of two Indian fishermen? The Indians did not kill the Italians, it was the other way around. So really he should be getting his facts right.

Last edited:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

I agree that TN fishermen are in the wrong when fishing in Lankan waters. This is a problem that India has to fix. SL has every right to defend its natural resources.

I am not surprised at the extreme reaction of the Lankan Navy. When something happens once or twice or thrice, it is pardonable. However when this happens regularly every day, it betrays a lack of intent from our side. The government has to show that it is taking measures to address the issues - something that is visible to the Lankans and to our fishermen. One measure that I can think of is an ultimatum to our fishermen - a declaration the Indian government will not support any fishermen who is arrested by the Lankans. The issue of livelihood cannot condone thievery. At the same time, the penalty for thievery cannot be death, the GoI cannot allow the Lankans to shoot at our fishermen. There are remedial measures for that, by upping the ante on pressure points.

Apart from that, the statement linking this to the issue of Italian sailors shows how ill-informed or malicious the SL PM is. How can he compare this issue to the cold blooded death at the hands of two Italian sailors of two Indian fishermen? The Indians did not kill the Italians, it was the other way around. So really he should be getting his facts right.
I agree with you .

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

There is one way to do it.

Both India and SL could come together and lay down a huge chain of buoys that demarcates the maritime borders and then our govt could say, hey look, if you cross this line, you are in SL and we won't do anything to help you if you cross this.

A bright red colored long chain of buoys tied to two massive light posts on the many tiny islets around the region can help. It is not expensive for two national governments.

Something like this:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Sushma Swaraj was mentioning in the parliament that govt is looking at "deep sea fishing" as a solution to the problem.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

There is one way to do it.

Both India and SL could come together and lay down a huge chain of buoys that demarcates the maritime borders and then our govt could say, hey look, if you cross this line, you are in SL and we won't do anything to help you if you cross this.

A bright red colored long chain of buoys tied to two massive light posts on the many tiny islets around the region can help. It is not expensive for two national governments.

Something like this:

our fishermen are streetsmart . They will cut that rope and enter into SL waters. I like your idea but we should never underestimate the trouble makers:D

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

our fishermen are streetsmart . They will cut that rope and enter into SL waters. I like your idea but we should never underestimate the trouble makers:D

These buoys are fenced down to the ocean bed with cables.

If they still cut the upper wires, then we must make it clear that GOI will not come for their help.

They are free to enjoy Lankan hospitality. That will shut their antics once and for all.

As for fishing and daily livelihood, there is something called FISH FARMING.

Here:

There is a certain revenue that the state government of Tamil Nadu earns.

If they can stop using that to ass-kiss their two CMs (Jayalalitha and Karunanidhi) and waste money on election freebies like UP, then the TN govt can actually help fishermen to fish farm and raise their own fish for sustenance.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

These buoys are fenced down to the ocean bed with cables.

If they still cut the upper wires, then we must make it clear that GOI will not come for their help.

They are free to enjoy Lankan hospitality. That will shut their antics once and for all.

As for fishing and daily livelihood, there is something called FISH FARMING.

Here:

There is a certain revenue that the state government of Tamil Nadu earns.

If they can stop using that to ass-kiss their two CMs (Jayalalitha and Karunanidhi) and waste money on election freebies like UP, then the TN govt can actually help fishermen to fish farm and raise their own fish for sustenance.
I dont think TN govt will help fishermen. If TN GOVT is concerned about safety of thier fisher they could have warned them not to do so.

Compersion

Country flag

can indian fisherman have entry into sri lanka by paying a fee ... that will come with its own boundary and entry compliance.

joint-working and joint discussion would be good for both states.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

can indian fisherman have entry into sri lanka by paying a fee ... that will come with its own boundary and entry
Even if such a policy is framed, I think it is difficult to enforce because of logistics problem.

Most importantly our idiots will never truthfully pay their dues.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

Even if such a policy is framed, I think it is difficult to enforce because of logistics problem.

:D:D:D Point to be noted.

Compersion

Country flag

Thanks for replying also apologiese for the long reply to you.

I agree there is always difficulty. also sure what you are saying might be true. but it must be attempted especially with Sri Lanka (with our history and future in mind). also with the advent of GPS tracking and also advanced maritime radars and also maritime patrol it would be easier compared to before. some mention above a clear maritime boundary using buoys. there is even satellite and some mention a SAARC satellite. i suggest india and sri lanka first put in a working agreement with clear resolution clauses for people that cross the boundary by mistake and by purpose. if we are getting people crossing the boundary often and being arrested why cannot we look at the bigger solution for now and the future. they are obviously not going to get arrested on purpose and also the people arresting them need to arrest on good grounds.

also for non-payment (if there is a understanding that people can make use of economic rights of the other by paying a fee) that can be put into a mechanism where such people are penalized under clear procedure for non-payment. the penalty can be a warning, economic, and lastly criminal if the intent is there. but with each it would be clear on how it would be administered (for example in sri lanka courts, indian courts, perhaps joint tribunals ...) also that would also mean there is a category of qualifications of people that are allowed to cross the boundary of the other for fishing (monetary for example use of deposits, license to fish, and documents to verify identity and location). it can even be FDI into Sri Lanka where Indian fisherman register themselves in Sri Lanka and must make use of Sri Lankan fisherman to fish in Sri Lankan borders. It can be made clear on how it can be done. fisher man want to make a livelihood and not sit in jails. and i dont believe that people are all that stupid if you make it clear to them that there is a right way to do things ...

frankly we need to do such things with our neighbors. we have to start thinking we are the big brother and big economic powerhouse and the neighbors will benefit if they deal with us in a clear and transparent manner especially in economic development. if we can show to sri lanka the economic benefits of dealing with us and in a clear and proper manner that respecting them the other neighbors will take notice.

there is also the need to monitor the extent that fishing is done to maintain a good stock and cultivate with periods of non-fishing being enforced together. that would be good to have in a agreement also. there is also the angle of the central government making a good position that will enter into local state parameters which if enforced properly would be good for all.

the above would also lead to the fishing industry expanding and leading to growth in the region that will develop industry further down the supply chain ...

only my thoughts but i think sri lanka and india interlocutors feel something along such lines need to be made and developed.

the current atmosphere feels like sri lanka wants to be respected ... when it ought to be how high both can reach if sri lanka takes advantage of india connection.

it would be embarrassing for both india and sri lankan if a foreign national outside indian ocean region makes a lot money because we are not able to resolve our misunderstandings. because unlike the foreign national both india and sri lanka are close to one another (physically and culturally) and will always remain close.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Seabed trawling stop is the first step.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles