Indian boots on ground in Afghanistan

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
We have been doing soft stuff for too long and now need to change the game a bit. Screw US if Afghanistan wants some 5-10k troops there i.e. build an Indian base.

We should be ready to mess up there because India does not share a boundary with Af and we need to do it to rattle Pak. Ofcourse, some tribes will oppose Indian move but that is part of the game. Also, I am not asking to commit ourselves like US i.e. spend billions of $. Actually, it will give a huge boost to local defence manufacturing and Indian economy can take this increased expenditure as investment.

The day you build an Indian base with 10k troops in Afghanistan, Pakistan will divert IS against you, with funding from their known old friends.That will be too lame to say you will be facing only Taliban.

But yes, if you manage to take taliban and the NA under your confidence and then build a base, under quotation '' India will develop Afghanistan's infrastructure'' you can avoid unnecessary attention of Taliban.

And to negotiate that,it will take one decade, before you drop troops there.

If you are successful, the US will join you and so will Russia , that's another problem. This will pull away Taliban.

If you want to ground troops, you will need the local support than foreign.

Indibomber

The day you build an Indian base with 10k troops in Afghanistan, Pakistan will divert IS against you, with funding from their known old friends.That will be too lame to say you will be facing only Taliban.

But yes, if you manage to take taliban and the NA under your confidence and then build a base, under quotation '' India will develop Afghanistan's infrastructure'' you can avoid unnecessary attention of Taliban.

And to negotiate that,it will take one decade, before you drop troops there.

If you are successful, the US will join you and so will Russia , that's another problem. This will pull away Taliban.

If you want to ground troops, you will need the local support than foreign.

Taliban is a puppet of ISI no way they will accept Indian army in AF. Just keep funding Baloch insurgency and stroke hate between Sindhi's and Punjabi's. Break Pak and get access to AF.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Taliban is a puppet of ISI no way they will accept Indian army in AF. Just keep funding Baloch insurgency and stroke hate between Sindhi's and Punjabi's. Break Pak and get access to AF.
That's one of the feasible option. But We can try the deoband influence over Taliban. If Pakistan plays the religious card, we can also play this better than them.

It's all about where you want to put funding.

1) POK/Shias
2) Baloch/Sindh
3) over Taliban.

Indibomber

That's one of the feasible option. But We can try the deoband influence over Taliban. If Pakistan plays the religious card, we can also play this better than them.

It's all about where you want to put funding.

1) POK/Shias
2) Baloch/Sindh
3) over Taliban.

I would put my money on both 1 and 2, while leaving 3rd out at all costs. Image of India would be at stake if we come anywhere near them.
Besides Deobandis in India do not support India as much as they can and they should. If you have come in contact from melchas from UP (Azam Khan Gang) you would know. I would trust a Bengali melcha than the ones from UP.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I would put my money on both 1 and 2, while leaving 3rd out at all costs. Image of India would be at stake if we come anywhere near them.
Besides Deobandis in India do not support India as much as they can and they should. If you have come in contact from melchas from UP (Azam Khan Gang) you would know. I would trust a Bengali melcha than the ones from UP.
And this is the reason,India will not send troops to Afghanistan. It's waste of life. Yes build strong assets in case to support covert ops in POK and Balochistan. That's first agenda.

Meanwhile:

https://globalvoices.org/2015/12/27/many-afghans-see-their-future-with-india-not-pakistan/

Many Afghans See Their Future with India, Not Pakistan

Scarface

Kshatriya87

Country flag
the question should be will Taliban allow it? Yes as they are deobandi faction and it'S time to play religion card.
Taliban will only care about the funds. Once the funds start coming in, they will concentrate on immediate motives. Their hatred towards Indians will be secondary.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
This thread is again screwed because one of the guys again want Deobandis to help us get aligned with Taliban!!

We need boots on ground to support current regime and not Talibunnies. We stay there nice and calm and use it as a base to gather local intelligence and spread RAW. It was not an idea to get involved in local Afghan politics.

AnantS

Country flag
Exactly that is my point. Imagine what a small force can do to rattle Pak. They do not even need to do much, but Pak will go maniac!

Concerning US, they can do nothing. 1) Neither US and Pak are as close as in 1971, 2) India is a much bigger power and do not need Russian backing. Also, US is not omnipotent and they can hardly contain any country. Russia screwed them twice in the last year in Ukraine and now Syria. And US could hardly do anything.

Also, there is a good chance to actually use US to back up our forces in Af. And may be even ask them to pay a bit!
You don't understand, our small or large force contingent in Afghanistan, without logistics, local populace and no neighboring countries support, is basically marching our soldiers to chakravyuh, with no escape.

1) They dont need to be close. Any unilateral action by India(with help of iran or russia), brings them closer again.
2) Agreed US is not omnipotent. But then neither is India, esp in the situation I outlined.
3)US - India joint op is non starter. India doesn't want its forces under US command. For US its more profitable, if NATO members join in, because NATO at our, US (def) sales goes up. India at war, Russian and Israeli defence sales goes up. What benefit does US accrue from India having boots on Ground acting independently from US command?
4) As I said nothing wrong in your intentions from Geo Politics POV. But there are other cost effective ways of achieving it.
This is the biggest problem i.e. logistics. Probably, we will need to involve Iran, but not sure how big a role Iran will like to play. But given Iran is Af's neighbour they would like Af. to be stable if possible.

But as I mentioned at the beginning, it is a high risk game and with probably high returns. Of course, the current powers would not like it. Russia is spread too thin on Ukraine and Syria, so I do not think they can do much. Probably they can be brought on board to support India. China would be pissed off, but they can't do much other than pay more to Pakis. US again can be brought on our side, depending how we play our moves.

Also, I am not asking to raise a complete corps and send it to Af. We just need a division of 5-10k soldiers, so that they do not spread themselves too thin and not too many to generate the ire of Af people. If India keeps sitting like a lame duck, good opportunities will not arise in the future. Probably, Af will pass into the hands of Taliban again, if India does not engage proactively.

Yes, it would be expensive, but it can also be used to give a boost to local defence procurement.
You cant bring Iran to Picture, without Afghanis getting pissed. Shia-Sunni thingy! Russia will be acting via cis countries. China will be paying more to Pak to hurt India.

To fight taliban NA will be activated again. Not easy for them to come back. this time na will have russia, us and India support, instead of india & russia before.

I have already told, train and Arm Afghani Army. they can achieve your objectives in much better way.

Last edited:

guru-dutt

The idea is to increase the stakes for Pak on its western borders once US leaves. Should India forge an active military alliance with Afghanistan and put boots on ground? It would be a high stakes game and can destabilize Pak.

Now some questions:
Viability- economically? Will Afghanistan allow it?
Feasibility- can IA pull it off? How many soldiers can we contribute and in what capacity? Training/ supply of weapons?
Benefits- can this move allow us to entrench RAW deep inside Afghanistan and Baluchistan? Can we fund bad Taliban to wreak havoc in Pak?

It will be a high risk game but can give potential benefits. It can take focus of PA from Eastern to the western front. Confuse their military preparations.

India can take off it's soldiers from UN peace keeping missions and go there. We should not get involved in flushing out terrorists on a day to day basis but use it as a base to protect some of our interests. Also, it will allow us to watch the game from much closer and increase the stakes for Pak and force it to commit more blunders.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk
no that is what all muhib e watan al bakistanies are hoping and only a fool will do that as afghanies like india cause india dosnet treats them the way yamricans or al bakistanies treat them or russians treated them ..... as they say jeete ho kissi ne desh to kya hamne to dillo ko jeeta hai .

AnantS

Country flag
This thread is again screwed because one of the guys again want Deobandis to help us get aligned with Taliban!!

We need boots on ground to support current regime and not Talibunnies. We stay there nice and calm and use it as a base to gather local intelligence and spread RAW. It was not an idea to get involved in local Afghan politics.
Yep really screwed up Idea to begin with. Aligning with talli bunder means aligning with ISI. Pakistan will die from immense laughter and joy in this scenario.

guru-dutt

Yep really screwed up Idea to begin with. Aligning with talli bunder means aligning with ISI. Pakistan will die from immense laughter and joy in this scenario.
kehna kya chate ho saab ji aap ?

guru-dutt

That Taliban is ISI creation, its baby. Ex-Pak Army and ex ISI swell its ranks. Idea of forming alliance with those thugs is ludicrous.
but who on earth will do such a thing i mean which indian will think of doing it im even more confused now ?

AnantS

Country flag
umm read the thread? that might give you the context

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
You don't understand, our small or large force contingent in Afghanistan, without logistics, local populace and no neighboring countries support, is basically marching our soldiers to chakravyuh, with no escape.

1) They dont need to be close. Any unilateral action by India(with help of iran or russia), brings them closer again.
2) Agreed US is not omnipotent. But then neither is India, esp in the situation I outlined.
3)US - India joint op is non starter. I doesn't want its forces under US command. For US its more profitable, if NATO members join in, because NATO at our, US (def) sales goes up. India at war, Russian and Israeli defence sales goes up. What benefit does US accrue from India having boots on Ground acting independently from US command?
4) As I said nothing wrong in your intentions from Geo Politics POV. But there are other cost effective ways of achieving it.

You cant bring Iran to Picture, without Afghanis getting pissed. Shia-Sunni thingy! Russia will be acting via cis countries. China will be paying more to Pak to hurt India.

To fight taliban NA will be activated again. Not easy for them to come back. this time na will have russia, us and India support, instead of india & russia before.

I have already told, train and Arm Afghani Army. they can achieve your objectives in much better way.
I totally understand the logistics problem and that is why I brought it up for discussion. And if there is a way to surmount these problems?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
but who on earth will do such a thing i mean which indian will think of doing it im even more confused now ?
Bhai, there are guys who can turn stone into gold in this forum!! They can turn Talibunnies into dolls!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Taliban will only care about the funds. Once the funds start coming in, they will concentrate on immediate motives. Their hatred towards Indians will be secondary.

But do our agencies have sufficient funds so that we can put it on Balochis and taliban too? I believe not.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles