Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Immanuel

Country flag
Bhai I am just glad the SIG 716 G2 and Caracal will come in. Between all the abbreviations MSMC, TAR, INSAS MK..failed attempts of a Rifle, one thing becomes clear. There is a massive gap between what IA is looking for and what OFB and others can come up with. Perhaps it's best we just license build imported Rifles via Pvt. Industry. There is no need for Govt. to be in the business of making Rifles.

If a nation can't build suitable home made rifles, perhaps it's not needed. Why re-invent the wheel when you can license build it.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
It’s honestly the most pathetic thing, a nation that can send a probe successfully to the moon and thar is trying to project itself as a rising innovation hub can’t make a half decent rifle? Obviously it CAN but for multiple reasons doesn’t want to.

This is both industry and army’s fault
Please don't compare DRDO and ISRO to OFB and HAL. DRDO has seen massive success in indigenisation and missile systems. ISRO is a true world class company.

OFB and HAL are union chaap companies with no sense of professional pride and work prioritisation. Army just apes what US/West carries around when they look TACTI - COOL!

I have high hopes when private industry does JV as in the long run, they will outpace OFB and produce high grade technology.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/02/0...an-to-buy-72400-u-s-made-sig-716-rifles-video

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...equip-indian-army-soldiers-1352324-2018-09-29

https://www.telegraphindia.com/business/growth-hub-plan-to-pep-up-duo/cid/1682296

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-venture-with-israel/articleshow/58516436.cms

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Bhai I am just glad the SIG 716 G2 and Caracal will come in. Between all the abbreviations MSMC, TAR, INSAS MK..failed attempts of a Rifle, one thing becomes clear. There is a massive gap between what IA is looking for and what OFB and others can come up with. Perhaps it's best we just license build imported Rifles via Pvt. Industry. There is no need for Govt. to be in the business of making Rifles.

If a nation can't build suitable home made rifles, perhaps it's not needed. Why re-invent the wheel when you can license build it.
Crap. Total crap.

Every time Indian industry gets close to meeting IA’s requirements the Army pulls the plug and changes their requirements. This has happened SO many times that it cannot be considered a clincidence anymore.

Alas, imported army will be the largest army in the world operating foreign rifles as their mainstay- just how they like if I guess.

Chinese- Chinese rifle
Americans- American rifle
Russians- Russian rifle
Indians- American/UAE/Russian/??? Rifle

No other words for this but PATHETIC and SHAMEFUL.

People love to run down PSUs but with actual support they can still perform, HAL has made some excellent helicopters, ICF has made T18 etc etc

At every turn IA has opposed small arms made in India and longed for imports- they did the same with Arjun. No one can honestly tell
Me T90 is a superior product to arjun but look how Army has treated Arjun from the outset. “Professionals”? Yeah right.

Immanuel

Country flag
Well Local arms like TAR, Ghatak, Amogh, Excalibur Mk-1C etc. starting to making their way into police and paramilitary units, hopefully in another decade we could have an entirely local arsenal. Eitherway a wide set of arms both local and imported (licence built) are needed. OFB neither has the capacity to deliver massive numbers quickly with consistent quality.

For now those SIG 716 G2 will fit in nicely, hopefully we get the entire wide set of configurations from

Fucker packs a mean punch, can't wait to see the line of Pigs laid waste to this one.

rone

Country flag
i just saw sig 716 video on utube it has very high noise and large recoil kicks the same reason army neglected Indian rifle, wat hell is going on why our army so greedy for foreign guns

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
Was watching this video about AK in 308 cal you can take a hint from the rep about the south Asian country that is interested. He even said about signing a deal (Skip to 04:40).
Could this mean that the deal we would be making with Russia is for AK in 308 cal and not for AK-103?

mohitbhagat

Country flag
Was watching this video about AK in 308 cal you can take a hint from the rep about the south Asian country that is interested. He even said about signing a deal (Skip to 04:40).
Could this mean that the deal we would be making with Russia is for AK in 308 cal and not for AK-103?

He's definitely talking about us......
Also when the iwi guys says that they developed Tavor7 due to the request of some particular forces, they actually mean is Indian SFs

mohitbhagat

Country flag
i just saw sig 716 video on utube it has very high noise and large recoil kicks the same reason army neglected Indian rifle, wat hell is going on why our army so greedy for foreign guns

Sound will always be there but the recoil is what makes the difference. Obviously there will be lots of recoil due to full size cartridge but not compared to what OFB made rifles will have. You can only tame down the recoil not decrease it significantly neither could you avoid it.

binayak95

Country flag

Sound comes primarily from the round going supersonic rather than the gun itself.

Suppressors work best with subsonic ammo for a reason. As far as recoil, really? A 7.62x51 firing rifle will recoil a bit - unless you want to go for something like the AK107's counter piston system.

And that's a very very bad idea.

The advantage of the SIG gun over ANYTHING built by OFB fucktards is
1. Low recoil
2. Excellent accuracy
3. Reliable
4. Low weight
5. Modularity
6. Quad rails.
7. Far better ergonomics (its freaking ambidextrous - try saying that for the INSAS)

Pandeyji

Country flag
I have been told that OFB made Lee Enfield was just as good as these Italian and American made sniper rifles, can hit targets out to 2000 m with the accuracy of 0.5 MOA at 100 meters.
7.62x51 Lee Enfield hitting out to 2000m with 0.5 MOA
Both are part right & part wrong. The Lee-Enfield despite it's age is still quite accurate. In fact in North America it is one of the preferred weapons of the local hunters & sports shooters.

sthf

Country flag
The most of cost of most electronic gadgets is from small chip inside it i.e. semiconductor. Taiwan controls nearly entire share of it.
Imported semiconductors are assembled with other stuff to make smartphones in China and on a smaller scale in India by companies like HCL, Karbonn & Intex.

Micromax and i ball are cheating by not even assembling but plain importing.

To produce semiconductors, you will need very expensive fabrication plants with risk that technology might go obsolete till your plant is operational. China failed and the plant they made for smartphones are being used to make calculators now. In India, we got two (one in Bangalore and other in Chandigarh) but for space & military purpose.

Why being proud? Feel "lucky" to be an Indian, not proud, we didn't choose where we have to be born. Nationalism of India shouldn't be radical like west.
You & me didn't build nation. We are using fruits of what others did
Micromax, iBall, Intex, are all importing from China and putting Make in India sticker. To be fair, Samsung is also importing from China, and so is Apple.

There are generic brand Korean IPS monitors which are really good, get those. There's no specific brand name.
No, you are just not smart. Change consumer items when indigenous items of similar quality is available in comparable prices.

Btw, Sig 716 is an world class product. It is not even meant for general issue personal weapon, but for the frontline troops who regularly face the enemies. A good 7.62 rifle is need of the hour and it is great news that MoD has sanctioned them.

It does not reflect good that you have barged in the conversation without thorough understanding of the issue at hand.
================================

Weird!!! I was told that if I don't support AKMs "indigenously" painted by OFB over Videshi maal, it makes me a bad Indian and an import lobby dalal.

Funny how that "patriotism" doesn't translate to personal life where "Bharat maa ke lal" end up buying "Videshi" Samsung phones over "Desi" Micromax.

sthf

Country flag
Arreh bhai @sthf can compare Lee Enfield firing 7.62x51 to .338 Lapua Magnum and 12.7x99 itself tells you just how seriously you should take him.
7.62x51 Lee Enfield hitting out to 2000m with 0.5 MOA. :rofl:
Let me guess, you are one of them import lobby dalals who believe that only imported rifle is the answer to Indian Army's 21st century problems when we have a world class product made by OFB since 1960s which is perfectly capable of repeatedly hitting a man sized target out to 2000m with superb accuracy.

Shame on you.

sthf

Country flag
Both are part right & part wrong. The Lee-Enfield despite it's age is still quite accurate. In fact in North America it is one of the preferred weapons of the local hunters & sports shooters.
And when IA decides that its primary role is to hunt animals for sports rather than fighting a next gen war, Lee Enfield will make a perfect fit for it.

Hell, Lee Enfield wasn't even the most accurate rifle in WW2.

sthf

Country flag
Crap. Total crap.

Chinese- Chinese rifle
Americans- American rifle
Russians- Russian rifle
Indians- American/UAE/Russian/??? Rifle
French - German rifle.
Americans - German Rifle.
Turks - reverse engineered German Rifle.
Brits - German or American Rifle?
Germany - Austrian rifle?

Total crap indeed.

What do Germans, Brits, French and Americans know about small arms development. It suits them pesky goras to import rifles from elsewhere. We are the largest standing army in the world with centuries of small arms innovation pedigree behind us. Very shameful.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
================================

Weird!!! I was told that if I don't support AKMs "indigenously" painted by OFB over Videshi maal, it makes me a bad Indian and an import lobby dalal.

Funny how that "patriotism" doesn't translate to personal life where "Bharat maa ke lal" end up buying "Videshi" Samsung phones over "Desi" Micromax.
Those rifles are license manufactured or assembled in India at least.

Samsung makes or assembles smartphones in India while Micromax only imports (even packing) and sells it calling itself Indian.

sthf

Country flag
Those rifles are license manufactured or assembled in India at least.

Samsung makes or assembles smartphones in India while Micromax only imports (even packing) and sells it calling itself Indian.
But but Micromax is an Indian company just like OFB. I suppose the "be Indian buy Indian" nonsense only applies to Army.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
But but Micromax is an Indian company just like OFB. I suppose the "be Indian buy Indian" nonsense only applies to Army.
Sirji with due respect, please don't compare a mobile phone with weapon.
A tank if brought from a foreign country can be stopped on it's tracks just on one order from that country higher ups(and the heck they care about terms and conditions, when things will not go their way) and can cause irreplaceable damage to the buyer country, if you want an example look at pakistan in second indo-pak war.
Indigenous weapon development is necessary even the higher ups in armed forces and government have said if India want to control her destiny.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
OFB is far far better than Micromax. They don't import and market. They produce on license intelligent man.

abingdonboy

Country flag
He's definitely talking about us......
Also when the iwi guys says that they developed Tavor7 due to the request of some particular forces, they actually mean is Indian SFs
This has got to be my biggest disappointment of this entire fiasco.

Tavor7 was tailor made for IA’s requirements and WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE IN INDIA. Already every IWI small arm has made in India components coming from
Their JV with Punj Lloyd. Instead IA chose to look the other way on this and went for a completely new to India 100% off the shelf foreign product.

A missed opportunity and clusterf@ck of epic proportions, just how the IA likes it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles