Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Aashi

Country flag
Chalo our soldiers are getting better rifles. Now they need standardized uniforms and equipments.

We can't have standardized uniform as Indian territory is so vast and it has different types of terrain and environment like desert and mountain or Plain or glacier so for all terrain we need different camo.... I think we can have different camo at regional bases

Akula

Country flag
We can't have standardized uniform as Indian territory is so vast and it has different types of terrain and environment like desert and mountain or Plain or glacier so for all terrain we need different camo.... I think we can have different camo at regional bases
I mean having same camouflage on uniform, helmets and vests. You can see soldiers with different camo on their helmet, uniform and vests which doesn't match with each other.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
SIG 716i TREAD: First Look at SIG Sauer’s New DI Rifle in .308 Win

SIMILAR IN BUILD TO THE RECENT INDIAN ARMY CONTRACT-WINNING RIFLES, THE ALL-NEW SIG 716I TREAD IS A DIRECT-IMPINGEMENT VERSION OF ITS POPULAR 716 SERIES.

MARCH 2, 2020
By BALLISTIC STAFF

SIG Sauer is in a lot of headlines. Whether its ammo contracts or a new SIG MG 338 machine gun for the military or winning the 2019 Ballistic’s Best Reader’s Choice Awards for “Best Semi-Auto Rifle” and “Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol” (casual plug), there’s always something new going on with SIG. So we get excited when we hear about something new coming down the SIG Sauer pike; and that’s exactly what we have today with the SIG 716i TREAD in .308 Winchester.

SIG 716i TREAD Details

Back in February 2019, SIG announced that it shipped 72,400 SIG716 rifles out to the Indian Army. The last of those rifles ship out later this month. Why is that important ? SIG told BallisticMag.com that the new 716i TREAD models have a similar build to that of the Indian Army contract rifles, hence the timing.

With its new aluminum-frame 716i TREAD, SIG defiantly steps into the .308 AR market. The new rifle is essentially a lightweight, direct-impingement version of SIG’s popular 716 series. It also features a precision 16-inch barrel and free-floating M-LOK handguard. Beyond that is an oversized ambidextrous mag release, charging handle, safety selector, and rear QD cups. The two-stage Matchlite Duo trigger and six-position adjustable stock round out a really nice package.

Overall, this is an intriguing .308 entry. The last part of the equation is MSRP. Currently, the MSRP is $1,429.99, but we expect a “street price” closer to $1,299.99. We’ll be looking to test one very soon. For more information, please visit SIGSauer.com.

SIG 716i TREAD Specs
  • Caliber: .308 Winchester
  • Barrel Length: 16 inches
  • Overall Length: 37 inches
  • Barrel Twist: 1:10 inches
  • Overall Height: 8 inches
  • Overall Width: 2.5 inches
  • Weight (with magazine): 8.5 pounds
  • Barrel Finish: Nitride
  • Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
  • Capacity: 20+1
  • MSRP: $1,429.99

SIG 716i TREAD: First Look at SIG Sauer's New DI Rifle in .308 Win

Kchontha

Country flag
Looks like Indian frontline army jawans have to do a lot of cleaning of their guns after every 500 rounds firings to maintain reliability besides having extra weights of the gun.......

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
DI rifles require more lubrication hence attract more dust, grit, & sand in Desert even without firing. Hence delicate cleaning & lubrication each day. This is going to be a problematic rifle for Indian Army

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Looks like Indian frontline army jawans have to do a lot of cleaning of their guns after every 500 rounds firings to maintain reliability besides having extra weights of the gun.......
DI rifles require more lubrication hence attract more dust, grit, & sand in Desert even without firing. Hence delicate cleaning & lubrication each day. This is going to be a problematic rifle for Indian Army
DI guns have better accuracy and lower weight. The main concern was carrier group misalignment due to external piston arrangement, high recoil during automatic fire and cost concerns.The army wanted a 7.62x51mm having moderate recoil during automatic fire.

This rifle has a mid length gas system to burn more propellant before it enters chamber and bolt carrier moves slower to preserve life. The gun barrel is made of steel which is softer and thus more flexible which allows for harmonics of bullet. This makes gun more accurate.

The barrel is coated with nitride which is excellent for anti corrosion effect. The free floating rail allows for more accuracy in conjunction with the microlight gas block.

Pakis after testing SSP AR 10 decided to make DI AR 10 as next battle rifle because other than increased reliability, SSP doesn't add to improved environmental performance unlike the SCAR-H or Galil ACE or AKM.

https://quwa.org/2019/10/31/pakistan-ordnance-factories-reveals-new-pk18-and-pk21-assault-rifles/

Takeaways: The AR10-type weapon is inherently accurate especially when compared to other service rifles, but the design leaves it very susceptible to dirt and debris. Adding a piston system to the AR15/10/M4/M16 does not improve the reliability of the system in harsh environments due to design limitations. Considering these trials, it is interesting to ponder weapon testing requirements of the United States and the small arms currently being used and purchased by the Services. The selection approach of the United States may need to be rethought. If you operate in harsh conditions where maintenance and cleaning may not be available, and you absolutely must have a rifle that fires every time you pull the trigger, then the Russian Kalashnikov AK is the answer. Otherwise, keep your weapon clean and don’t let it get dirty.
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/07/16/general-staff-requirement-gsr-new-assault-rifle/

Conclusion : AR 10 style Sig 716I was selected for accurate and low recoil 7.62x51 automatic fire.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
@Unknowncommando 2 The guns should cost $ 107 million @ $ 1150 per gun. Why is this deal for $ 553.33 million @ $5889 per gun?

Sig Sauer of the U.S. has emerged the lowest bidder with a quote of around $990 for the SIG 716 rifle. Caracal from the UAE made the lowest bid of around $1150 for its CAR 816 carbine.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-to-acquire-rifles-carbines/article25105913.ece

With the deal for the Light Machine Guns (LMG) in place, the Indian Army is now waiting for the close-quarter-battle carbines (CQB). “A decision is expected by later this month. It is now close to fifteen months since the UAE based Caracal Company was declared L1 after extensive trials for a $ 553.33 million. The Oversight Committee has already submitted its report the Ministry of Defence (MoD),” confirmed a senior officer on condition of anonymity.
https://www.financialexpress.com/de...on-get-close-quarter-battle-carbines/1906969/

vampyrbladez

Country flag
As per the original DailyO article, the deal would cost around 700 crore ($ 107 million). Stupid mofo journalists.

https://www.dailyo.in/politics/why-...ctions-ministry-of-defence/story/1/30581.html

JBH22

I have a question.the rifles come with rails but have no optics. Now if a soldier wants to buy thermal sights and affix it.can he do so?
Is it allow for soldiers to customise their rifles

uoftotaku

Country flag
I have a question.the rifles come with rails but have no optics. Now if a soldier wants to buy thermal sights and affix it.can he do so?
Is it allow for soldiers to customise their rifles
Depends unit to unit, some commanders allow it but many (traditionalists) do not. For the most part however, I do not see that the avg jawan earns enough to afford such accessories. Moreover, since these items are not for sale in India on open market (as far as I am aware) they have to be ordered from abroad and brought in which might also entail customs difficulties etc.

Also these SiG's have been ordered with M-Lok system rather than the current standardized Picantinny Rail so even the current stock of optics and accessories in use are not cross-compatible. Only our first class procurement apparatus is capable of such enlightened and visionary purchase decisions, praise be unto them for their benevolence

Gessler

Country flag
Also these SiG's have been ordered with M-Lok system rather than the current standardized Picantinny Rail so even the current stock of optics and accessories in use are not cross-compatible. Only our first class procurement apparatus is capable of such enlightened and visionary purchase decisions, praise be unto them for their benevolence
Optics will be cross-compatible, the 12'o clock interface on the SIG 716 is a P-rail.

But rest of the stuff like forward grips, flashlights etc. which attach to 3, 6 & 9'o clock rails won't be.

However, we can get a workaround by procuring MLOK-to-Picatinny adapters:

NSG had bought some Keymod-to-Picatinny adapters for their 716 DMRs (older handguards):

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles