Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Gessler

Country flag
What guns are being used by our snipers?
By far the most numerous precision rifle in service is the Dragunov SVD chambered for the 7.62x54mm rimmed round. Adopted decades ago, this semi-automatic magazine-fed rifle continues to serve today. It's the standard-issue weapon for IA's snipers. It's a dated platform with little upgradability in its current form, and issues only with the 4x24 PSO-1 optic (where 4x is the magnification power and 24 is the diameter of the objective lens in mm).

Also used in limited numbers by Army snipers are the:

Steyr SSG 69

Austrian-made bolt action rifle in 7.62x51mm NATO, typically fitted with either a Kahles ZF69 6x42 fixed-power scope or a more modern Hensoldt optic of up to 10x magnification, don't know exactly which one IA-used examples have. Being a bolt-action platform, it affords on average better reliability & accuracy than the auto-loading SVD. The SSG 69 is a solid alternative to American rifles like M24 or M40 and it would have been great if IA adopted it as the standard sniper weapon but it wasn't to be.

Mauser SP66

Old German rifle, also used in limited numbers in exceedingly limited use-cases, can't seem to recall the last time I saw one in use...also a bolt-action 7.62 NATO rifle, comes out of the box with a Zeiss variable-power 1.5-6x42 optic.

Though anti-material rifles are not typically intended to shoot man-sized targets, they can be used in that role by snipers just fine, as demonstrated to great effect by American troops in both Gulf Wars where the .50 caliber rounds can reach out and touch targets that would otherwise be so far outside the reach of 7.62N or even .300winmag (Winchester Magnum)...and demonstrated by our troops across LoC as well, though the sight lines in this instance may not have been as long.

Denel NTW

South African-designed, available in both 20x82mm and 14.5x114mm calibres, this is an extremely powerful bolt-action rifle capable of penetrating most forms of solid cover over long ranges. Hindered chiefly by its excessive weight. Comes with a factory-standard Lynx 8x56 scope.

Barrett M107

Available in very small quantities with select units, like JAK LI for example. American-made semi-auto AMR in the .50BMG (12.7x99mm), comes with the same Leupold Mark 4 scope (4.5-14x50) as used on the American mil-spec configuration. Rarely seen, personally I can only recall seeing 1 pic.

In addition, the Army's Special Forces units like the Para-SF have access to any & all of the precision rifles available with the regulars to use as they see fit, but they also use this Israeli rifle as a DMR/sniper support weapon -

IWI Galatz aka Galil Sniper

Chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO, this is another semi-auto magazine-fed rifle like SVD, issues with a Nimrod 6x40 or 10x40 scope.

More recently, IA has inducted two new platforms:

Victrix Armaments Scorpio MilLe

A number of these were purchased as a knee-jerk reaction following mounting attacks by Pak snipers. This is the first rifle in Indian service to use the .338 Lapua Magnum (shortened & pronounced lapmag) round, allowing it the ability to prosecute targets at a significantly farther range than either 7.62 NATO or the 7.62x54 Russian round of SVD**

There is a lot of information going around the internet that the Scorpio variant purchased by IA is the TCT or TGT, but after observing the stock & the M-LOK interface system present along the length of the fore-end/handguard on the rifles seen in hands of IA troops, I'm led to deduce that what we bought is actually the Scorpio MilLe variant, and not TGT/TCT, I'll follow this up in a future post.

The optic, owing to very few images available of the rifle in Indian service (and none of good quality), I'm unable to state with 100% surety (unlike the other rifles mentioned above, this is a very modern system designed for user-adaptability so the practice of shipping with a pre-existing optic out of the box isn't followed, this rifle ships clean), but judging by what little imagery is available, I'm led to say that what we could have on our examples is a variable-power Schmidt & Bender scope.

Barrett M95

Another new addition bought alongside the Scorpio, a bolt-action .50BMG AMR, personally I'd have preferred the semi-auto M107 over it (as did the US military when they rejected M95 in favour of M82/M107). But either way, this is a significantly lighter weapon compared to existing AMRs like the NTW (almost 50% reduction in weight), at the cost of a reduction in calibre (not that .50bmg is a wimpy round).

Haven't seen pics of any of these in service yet, but I assume we must be using the same Leupold optic as used by its semi-auto cousin the M107.

I think currently pakistani snipers have an edge over them. Can someone shade a light on this?
This is sadly true. PA has ingrained the sniper culture much more than IA - some might not agree but from where I'm looking at things, that's how it is. It's a problem that actively needs fixing. Placing small batch orders as knee-jerk reactions after a spate of incidents doesn't solve the deeper problems.

The fact that we issue the SVD as the standard sniper weapon itself is a testament to poorly developed sniper culture. The kind of mindset a shooter has when he has the option of quick follow-up shots as compared to being on a bolt action platform where for the most part he HAS to make every shot count is extremely different, reason why I'm giving this particular example is because this is the most basic way of explaining the difference between a sniper and a marksman.

We have 'snipers' toting what the Russians or Americans would consider a designated marksman rifle (SVD), combined with a modicum of fieldcraft, camouflaging & stalking training and we, for decades, refused to move ahead from there.

Suddenly putting a $10,000 Gucci rifle in their hands won't turn them into Carlos Hathcock or Chris Kyle. What we are hoping to usher in with the emergency buys (and the ongoing attempt to procure a larger number of .338 bolt-action rifles) will only be properly imbibed into the IA's DNA only about 10 years from now.

+++++++

Mods, move this post to a more appropriate thread if deemed necessary.

Last edited:

Gessler

Country flag
A number of these were purchased as a knee-jerk reaction following mounting attacks by Pak snipers. This is the first rifle in Indian service to use the .338 Lapua Magnum (shortened & pronounced lapmag) round, allowing it the ability to prosecute targets at a significantly farther range than either 7.62 NATO or the 7.62x54 Russian round of SVD**
**>

Also, here's the Scorpio variant used by IA, note the stock & the fore-end/handguard -

Compare with the Scorpio MilLe variant, which I believe is the one we bought -

And compare with the Scorpio TCT which the media widely reported as having been bought -

1552458535503.png

And the TGT (a version intended for civilian target-shooting market), and also originally reported as the one being bought (erroneously of course) -

Draw your own conclusions, I've drawn mine.

Deathstar

Country flag
Russian Druganov. They are being retired and Berret 95 and Vitrix Scorpio TGT are beung bought......
Pak also had Berret 95.
According to wiki Pak SSG uses Barrett M82 while Para SF uses M82 as well IA uses M95

assassin162

Country flag
Druganov is not being retired. It is DMR (Designated Marksman’s Rifle). It is very reliable for 800 to 1000 meters and is carried in the battlefield to shoot hidden and persistent enemy shooter outside the range of Assault or Battlefield rifles.
Druganov is also in process to be replaced by another DMR which is not selected as of now.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Army gets new American assault rifles in Kashmir Valley against terrorists, Pak Army on LoC
In a major boost in fight against terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir and Pakistan Army on the Line of Control (LoC), the Indian Army has started inducting its newly acquired American SiG Sauer assault rifles in operations.

In addition, the Indian Army has also started getting supplies of ammunition for its sniper rifles as more than 21 lakh rounds have been ordered from vendors.

"The first lot of 10,000 SiG 716 assault rifles has arrived in India and has been sent to the Northern Command," top Indian Army sources told ANI.

The Northern Command looks after the counter-terrorist operations in Jammu and Kashmir including the stopping the influx of terrorists from Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) who are trained there.

The induction of these new assault rifles with the troops in operation will help them to operate more effectively in engagements with the terrorists in Pakistan and PoK.

India had signed an over Rs 700 crore contract to equip the Indian Army with 72,400 new assault rifles.

The rifles are being supplied by US arms maker Sig Sauer. They will be manufactured in the US and will be supplied within a year since the contract for the new guns is being made under fast-track procurement (FTP).

A majority of these rifles -- 66,000 -- are for the Indian Army. The remaining will be divided between the Indian Navy (2,000) and the Indian Air Force (4,000).

The Sig Sauer SIG716 7.62x51 mm assault rifles will replace the Indian-made 5.56x45mm Insas rifles.

The Indian Army will also receive a major boost with the induction of more than 7 lakh AK-203 assault rifles which are going to be produced in the joint venture between India and Russia.
https://www.defencenews.in/article/...ey-against-terrorists,-Pak-Army-on-LoC-798390

rkhanna

Country flag
Indian Army gets new American assault rifles in Kashmir Valley against terrorists, Pak Army on LoC
In a major boost in fight against terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir and Pakistan Army on the Line of Control (LoC), the Indian Army has started inducting its newly acquired American SiG Sauer assault rifles in operations.

In addition, the Indian Army has also started getting supplies of ammunition for its sniper rifles as more than 21 lakh rounds have been ordered from vendors.

"The first lot of 10,000 SiG 716 assault rifles has arrived in India and has been sent to the Northern Command," top Indian Army sources told ANI.

The Northern Command looks after the counter-terrorist operations in Jammu and Kashmir including the stopping the influx of terrorists from Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK) who are trained there.

The induction of these new assault rifles with the troops in operation will help them to operate more effectively in engagements with the terrorists in Pakistan and PoK.

India had signed an over Rs 700 crore contract to equip the Indian Army with 72,400 new assault rifles.

The rifles are being supplied by US arms maker Sig Sauer. They will be manufactured in the US and will be supplied within a year since the contract for the new guns is being made under fast-track procurement (FTP).

A majority of these rifles -- 66,000 -- are for the Indian Army. The remaining will be divided between the Indian Navy (2,000) and the Indian Air Force (4,000).

The Sig Sauer SIG716 7.62x51 mm assault rifles will replace the Indian-made 5.56x45mm Insas rifles.

The Indian Army will also receive a major boost with the induction of more than 7 lakh AK-203 assault rifles which are going to be produced in the joint venture between India and Russia.
https://www.defencenews.in/article/...ey-against-terrorists,-Pak-Army-on-LoC-798390

SO utterly confused. the AK was supposed to go to COIN troops and SIG to Line Infantry.

Or i am missing something here?

rkhanna

Country flag
SO utterly confused. the AK was supposed to go to COIN troops and SIG to Line Infantry.

Or i am missing something here?
Answering my own posts lol

I think these goes to Norther Command and troops on LOC prioritized. RR and COIN troops in the valley will get the Asks?

abhay rajput

Country flag
Answering my own posts lol

I think these goes to Norther Command and troops on LOC prioritized. RR and COIN troops in the valley will get the Asks?
I think ak will got to most of the paramilitary forces and majority of army. AK 203 is alright because even today in Kashmir soldiers prefer ak47

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Ha
Some close-ups of a 716G2 DMR (the Patrol variant looks the same externally, except the handguard tapers off at the gas block, instead of coming right up till the muzzle):

Have optics also been ordered with this rifle or are we going with indigenous solutions. Without good optics, taking out targets 800m away would be next to impossible.

itsme

Country flag
I dont
Some close-ups of a 716G2 DMR (the Patrol variant looks the same externally, except the handguard tapers off at the gas block, instead of coming right up till the muzzle):

I don't think this is the DMR variant, this is the battle rifle, see the muzzle/flash hider. the DMR muzzle is different.

See below:

Gessler

Country flag
Ha

Have optics also been ordered with this rifle or are we going with indigenous solutions. Without good optics, taking out targets 800m away would be next to impossible.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any optics were included. I'm guessing the rifles will ship with just a pair of BUIS installed on the top rail.

I dont

I don't think this is the DMR variant, this is the battle rifle, see the muzzle/flash hider. the DMR muzzle is different.

See below:

Initially I discounted the muzzle device because ultimately it's a threaded barrel and anything can be installed there, however after your post I went looking for the original source of the pic and found this conversation:

The part number is R716G2-16B-P, which is in line with the part number on Sig's webpage for the Sig 716-G2 Patrol. And its date of manufacture was January 8th, 2019 - so it is a new rifle. And the serial number on the lower matches the serial number on the box - so it got put in the "right" box.

It has the B5 stock that the Patrols are supposed to come with, the Sig Sauer marked pistol grip and the three prong flash hider on the end - all in line with the Patrol model.

However, it has the full length M-LOK handguard of the 6.5CM 716-G2 DMR (at least from what I can see - the 7.62x51mm 716-G2 DMRs at the second shop I went to had full length KeyMod handguards instead of M-LOK handguards as called out on Sig's webpage).

Another oddity I noticed is that this Patrol has the B5 stock, whereas the other 716-G2 Patrols I looked at had the Sig Sauer stock that bears a remarkable similarity to the Magpul CTR stock. The only B5 stock I saw was on a 516-G2 at the second gun store I went to.

Also, after some more dry firing - the trigger doesn't feel as heavy as a mil-spec trigger. Its nowhere near as heavy as the "standard" triggers in my PSA PA-9 SBR or the Colt LE6920 SBR. But its also not as nice and smooth as my Geissele SSA-E that is in my MPX. Honestly not sure if its a two stage trigger or not.

So, any idea what happened?
To which the answer was:

You got a "unique" rifle.

SIG does stuff like this every so often. They experiment with new features, or new combinations of features, and they build a few guns to test the ideas out. Sometimes they get added to the catalog, and sometimes they don't. When they don't, they still sell them. Often these get marked as "SC" or "Special Configuration" guns, which means it's a non-catalog item, either a tester for some new combinations or a special build run. Does the sticker on your outer box have anything like that on it?

I have a P229 at home that has an "elite" (extended beavertail, E2 grips) frame with a standard slide, Truglo front sight, rear night sights, and a skeleton trigger. Factory gun that they never put in to production, but sold the ones they built.
So technically, it appears the particular gun is neither a production Patrol nor a DMR but a non-cataloged hybrid of sorts. Interesting piece indeed.

itsme

Country flag
Interesting. I seriously hope we get to see the baby what IA got. Thanks for the info btw. @Gessler

MrPresident

Country flag
I dont

See below:

Please remind me why we cannot get this sort of finish on any of our local INSAS variants or JPVC?

Sent from my vivo 1921 using Tapatalk

Gessler

Country flag
Please remind me why we cannot get this sort of finish on any of our local INSAS variants or JPVC?

Sent from my vivo 1921 using Tapatalk
Anodizing.

As of why we can't...I believe the 1C variant does indeed incorporate a level of anodization, though I doubt if it can be considered a hardcoat.

If you ask me why this isn't done on all OFB products, I'd say the problem is cost. OFB wares are already heavily overpriced as it is, so no wonder it took them such a long time to put this into practice (frankly, it's not been done yet as 1C isn't in mass production at the moment) as the very structure & nature of OFB ensures to stays lethargic and well behind the technological curve in firearms development.

Akula

Country flag
Ha

If I am not wrong, Army has placed orders for indigenous optics last month. I don't remember how many they ordered.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles