Indian Army MRSAM

plugwater

S-400's range is 400 kms and comes under MTCR right? Is DRDO developing anything of this range?
AFAIK Surface to Air missiles do not come under MTCR.

We do not have any long range SAM programs. There was a rumor about converting AAD missile interceptor to LR SAM, Not much information about that.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Isn't Astra II is going to have the same motor as mentioned for LR SAM?

plugwater

IAI, DRDO on Course to Integrate Barak-8 on the First Vessel in 2012

Test firing of the Barak 8 missile is expected this year. "Testing will be conducted in India and is part of the responsibilities of our strategic partner in this program, India's Defense Research & Development Organization (DRDO)" IAI officials told Defense-Update. The missile is on schedule to complete development and be integrated on board the first combat vessels by 2012. After being inducted into service, the system will continue development and phased improvement, toward its full operational capability phase. Barak 8 is designed to be fielded on both Israel and Indian Navy vessels.
In 2006 Israel and India embarked on a strategic cooperation in developing a new naval air defense system that will address the specific, common requirements of both Israel and Indian navies. The system, known as Barak-8 introduces a revolutionary concept of 'network-centric air defense', incorporating the best technologies India and Israel could offer.
Such technologies include superior missile interceptors, the latest technology phased array radars, state-of-the-art command, control and communications, integrated with missionized land-based and airborne command and control, coupled with unmanned aerial sensors.
Three years ago the program expanded this concept, adding another dimension to the Indo-Israeli cooperation, embarking on the Medium-Range Surface-to-Air missile (MRSAM) system, protecting strategic targets on land. Both programs are progressing well as IAI's partners in India are actively involved and taking part in every phase of the development.

– IAI, DRDO on Course to Integrate Barak-8 on the First Vessel in 2012 | Defense Update

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Barak 8 and Brahmos will be interesting fight, I think India should test both the system against each other secretly. Data generated will be interesting.

Oracle

From what I see in the comparison, Brahmos is way better than Barak 8.

Brahmos II (hypersonic version) will be deadlier than Thor's hammer.

pack leader

Professional
p -800 and Brahmos are twins sharing all components except seeker and software
but i have faith in IAI and elta to spot and destroy p -800
after all this is our enemy's best anti ship missile ( Syria and china respectably )

pack leader

Professional
From what I see in the comparison, Brahmos is way better than Barak 8.

Brahmos II (hypersonic version) will be deadlier than Thor's hammer.
better in what respect? it is a different tool for a different job

Oracle

/\/\/\ Sir, how is China an enemy of Israel? Did I miss an important class in history?

Oracle

no i meant china is your main enemy and Syria is our main enemy and both use p-800
as their main anti ship tool
Oh! Ok. Let's raise a toast at that. I bring in some JD, you get some hummus and falafel.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
p -800 and Brahmos are twins sharing all components except seeker and software
but i have faith in IAI and elta to spot and destroy p -800
after all this is our enemy's best anti ship missile ( Syria and china respectably )
No it wont OR Very slight chance are there, What makes Oniks/Yakhont/Brahmos deadly is they are impossible to intercept at low altitude, P-800 is extremely fast 2000-3000km/h giving the defending system like barak8 a min or less from 70kms to get a lock is extremely difficult, The Supersonic missles use speed which reduce reaction time of defending system, to kill it, one must increase engagement range..

The only way is to engage the missile 100km away, Oniks/Yakhont/Brahmos active radar head has a range of 75 km, which means that at this distance from its target it can start pinging it independently (without outside corrections from the launch platform). After it has pinged its target, it dives into the sea-skimming mode.

Which basically means that the only chance you get to intercept Yakhont is outside of the 75 km radius, when it is still flying at high altitude. Or terminally, with a CIWS, but that is of course more of a Hail Mary pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrj

pack leader

Professional
No it wont OR Very slight chance are there, What makes Oniks/Yakhont/Brahmos deadly is they are impossible to intercept at low altitude, P-800 is extremely fast 2000-3000km/h giving the defending system like barak8 a min or less from 70kms to get a lock is extremely difficult, The Supersonic missles use speed which reduce reaction time of defending system, to kill it, one must increase engagement range..

The only way is to engage the missile 100km away, Oniks/Yakhont/Brahmos active radar head has a range of 75 km, which means that at this distance from its target it can start pinging it independently (without outside corrections from the launch platform). After it has pinged its target, it dives into the sea-skimming mode.

Which basically means that the only chance you get to intercept Yakhont is outside of the 75 km radius, when it is still flying at high altitude. Or terminally, with a CIWS, but that is of course more of a Hail Mary pass.
the Barack 8 is self guided after lunch it uses a jump up look down approach against sea skimming targets
MF-star will detect the approx missile position and lunch Barack 8 lal
it has been tested twice already and proved 90% affective against sub sonic missile
and 80% affective against super sonic missile (your navy was represented in the tests )
serial production has started and we feel confident
and nationalistic Russians on mp net are bad sources

Blackwater

After all the drama of INS vikram-aditiya. We trust Israel more than Russia. At least they are dedicated and punctual unlike Russian who were used to be during USSR

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
the Barack 8 is self guided after lunch it uses a jump up look down approach against sea skimming targets
Seeker ? isn't it guided at radar`s line of sight..

MF-star will detect the approx missile position and lunch Barack 8 lal
it has been tested twice already and proved 90% affective against sub sonic missile
and 80% affective against super sonic missile (your navy was represented in the tests )
serial production has started and we feel confident
MF-star may detect it, But engagement zone is still 70kms, If you can get me the reaction time of Barak1 or 8 ?
70kms is too less for any system to kill a supersonic vehicle at sea-skimming mode..
and nationalistic Russians on mp net are bad sources
LOL.. So you are keeping a track on it..

He elaborated what i said before..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles