Indian Army Looking for New Assualt Rifle!!!

bhramos

Country flag
As part of the Indian Army's phased future infantry soldier as a system (F-INSAS) programme to create a fully integrated infantry soldier, Army HQ has floated requirements

The Army has put down its preference for a modular assault rifle with changeable multiple caliber barrels to support 5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x51mm, 6.8x43mm and 6.5 Grendel rounds. The rifle needs to have an integrated sighting system that includes a luminous tipped flip-up iron sight, telescopic sight and a holographic reflex sight with a visible laser illuminator. It clearly wants an advanced under-barrel grenade launcher with a standalone firing mode governed by a multipurpose fire control system. [PDF] for a new assault rifle that will, potentially, be license-built in large numbers. A questionaire provided with RFI points to what the Army is looking for in its new ambidextrous assault rifle:
http://livefist.blogspot.com/

could anyone tell me which gun does it come in this role Multi-Purpose in this many ways........

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Beretta ARX 160, SCAR, HK G36, HK 416/417, BREN, Tavor, FN2000, MSBS Radon,Magpul Masada , SAR-21P RAIL virtually any modern weapon
Guys find out which is cheaper coz this is for whole Army..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
F-INSAS RIFLE PROGRAM..

DRDO, they chooses one of the best Bullpup Deign available in today's world ( i.e FN-2000 )..

^^Both Gun look very similar for exterior, As per my knowledge SPG is in use of FN-2000, Its not difficult to make out some of the rifle ended-up in DRDO lab for tests.. lol

The IDEA of Multical-Rifle..
the Idea of Multical-Rifle came from TAVOR, When IA purchased TAR-21 it also ordered battlefield 9mm conversion kit from IMI, the kit is used to convert 5.56mm to 9mm carbine in mid of battle, It is now clear that the kit also the some of the rifle ended-up in DRDO lab, where our guys figured out the possibility of making different conversion kits namely: 7.62NATO, 7.62RUSSIAN, 5.56NATO, for the same rifle, the different kits make sense in the battle for example:

5.56mm will be used for regular solider, but when needed for sniper role the rifle can immediately change into 7.62nato for long-range shootings,
Again in CT environment where Soldiers feel for better punching the rifle can be changed for 7.62Russian, therefore in a same squad you will have Sniper/Assault rifle in hands of a single solider..

9MM conversion kit for tavor..

9mm version..

5.56mm version of same rifle..

I can bet on one thing that DRDO already have a working model of F-INSAS rifle ( Probably of 5.56mm ) and working on other conversion kits..
But I need to remind one thing that BULLPUP have one problem is abt case ejection over soldiers face, FN-2000 solves the problem by having forward ejection system of casings, I hope DRDO do have the forward ejection casing system on F-INSAS rifle..

FN-2000 forward case ( Brass ) ejection system, also for safty it goes downwards..

Looking at the RFI now, I hope DRDO is ready with its working prototypes..

Last edited by a moderator:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
See! Told you that these people won't change; that our bloody money hoarding babus won't change. This means that DRDO's indigenous attempts are all flunked or frozen by babus so that there's room for foreigners to come in again. What about TATA's $ 3.2 billion deal for F-INSAS? Has that been put on ice as well? :angry_1:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
The weapons being pointed out are very expensive.

This is for going to replace all the Insas rifles right?

I bet its an American weapon..

I really, really hope they still try to make an indigenous weapon..

:angry_7::angry_7::angry_7:

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
My bets on:

SAR-21 ( Cheap alternative to TAR-21 )

HK 416/417 ( Extreme rifle can work anywhere )

Magpul Masada ( Very reliable and can change barrel of different calibers, very easy to handle like AK-47)

FINSAS rifle ( Cheap, homemade, Multicaliber )

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
But again buying in mass reduce price tag..
Still like 600,000 Tavors or F2000? Its still pretty damn expensive...

Indian soldiers getting used to American weapons...*wink* *wink*

:happy_7:

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
@Tshering22
not 100 percent could be those people.....
i met some people their of Upper community also, this is not the only problem.
Corruption is main, I have from these DRDO people, if IA buys Tanks or ships from abroad, while people going to bring this packages or in Planes or ships the reciever of that packages will get small gift and be offered small parties it happened in soviet or in 90's time. may be it still this legacy continues.....

ok lets first discuss what types if guns come in this category???

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
it is such a shame that we cannot even make a decent rifle on our own. what a lame!!! Even Insas is a copy of fn-fal.

if we want to make firearms on our own, then private industries should step in defense sector. why USA makes lots and lots of different variety of rifles? Because of private industries from all the way from colt to Remington. in usa there are around 150+ private companies ready to supply good fire arms to military. so usa army always gets the best fire arms possible.

look at us, we have only 2 or 3 institutions who works on fire arms such as ARDE and indian ordinance factory

few other reasons why we can't make rifles on own.

- corrupt politicians
- Not enough R&D in small arms
- lack of proper TOP management in defense sector
- unwillingness of private industries to participate in defense sector - thanks to corrupt ministry.

LOL

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
It really is a shame for India's military, I am not going to lie. INSAS is........garbage compared to modern assault rifles. If India can make decent first tank, fighter jet, attack helicopter, helicopter, etc, etc why the hell not a assault rifle? Its a damn shame.

prateikf

Country flag
another RFP! the Indian army issues RFP for practically everything but is not allowed to buy anything. Even the RFP's that were issued 10 years ago to purchase carabines, artillery, helicopters etc have not resulted in purchase upto this date. Hence what will be the fate of this RFP? would it be completed even by 2020 or 2025 or 2040?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ready the RFI guys..

Does the weapon have luminous
tipped Flip-up iron sights?

Is it possible to have multi caliber barrel
change capability for the following calibers.
(aa) 5.56 X 45mm.
(ab) 7.62 X 39mm.
(ac) 7.62 X 51mm.
(ad) 6.8 X 43mm.
(ae) 6.5 Grendel.

Picatinny Rails. Does the Assault Rifle
have full length Picatinny Rails at 12
O'clock position with additional rails at 3
O'clock, 6 O'clock and 9 O'clock position?

(t) Butt Stock. What are the various types
of butt stock being offered for the Assault
Rifle? Does the butt have an integral,
permanently affixed waterproof storage
compartment and a comfortable back plate
that is shock absorbent and non-metallic?

Galil, AK & M4 types are out of question, The Rifle specifications indicates SCAR/Magpul Masada/ SAR-21 types..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am confused it has to have what signts.
Don't tell me it needs to have all of them at once.

This is a full rail assault rifle ( Modified M16)

rear foldable peep sight

front foldable post sigh

While aiming, this is what u see, and the target is always above the Pin

Both peep & front iron sights are folded when reflex or scopes are mounted.

And this is call Self-luminous iron sights

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Just thinking that we might have to go for a LMG version of the same Rifle..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
FAMAS is a solid rifle but will not meet the future needs of India. We tried developing PAPOP but it ended up being too heavy so the FAMAS G2 was modified for FELIN. The PAPOP was the only of the future rifles with the right grenade size. Most go with a 25mm grenade launcher to save weight but it is too small to really be effective. PAPOP had a 35mm, but adding that plus 5 rounds of grenades made it weigh 10kg which is unacceptable. I don't really see what the fascination is with trying to get everyone in the squad with a grenade launcher. The classical way of giving a couple guys add on rail for 40mm is plenty for what a squad does. Just figure out how to make those rounds programmable and problem solved.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles