• Poll closed .

Ky Loung

IMHO Price would not be permissible except for SF. MoD cannot allocate:

Reflex/Red Dot for general Infantry @ $100-500 each

ACOG for Marksmen @ $700-2000 each

Clip-on Flip-off Thermal sights for Infantry & Marksmen @ 1500-2500 each

Telescopic Thermal for snipers @ $1500-5000 each

So IMHO our poor Infantry would have to stick to Iron Sights :sad:
Without a doubt optics increase accuracy. IIRC up to 80% increase in a US military study. The study was over six years or so and I lost the link to the report.

Good optics can cost 3 times or more then the rifle. It's not cheap. Most people don't realize only a few militaries can equips their entire arm force with optics. The US started their optic program in the late 1990s. It took them almost a decade to equip every troops with optics. It is a long expensive process.

Last edited:

Ky Loung

This is the scope which will go on Italy's soldato futuro program (similar to F-INSAS) on top of the ARX-160

The scope is absolute useless and it is base 100% on how high it is mounted. Do not buy optics design to mount high.

Ky Loung

even terrorists have learned that placing a cheap scope on guns increase their effectiveness
AK mounting system is pretty piss poor. Soviet used side rails on their AK because the AK cover cannot hold zero. The standard AK cover move around and flimsy. You will see rear iron sight remove and replace with optic because that's the only stable part. The first picture show this.

It is one of the reason why I keep posting the AK body is obsolete. It very hard to put modern day accessories on an AK.

Ky Loung

best part of this sight is

this make it same as Trijicon sight.
Acog have fiber optic along side with Tritium.

Tritium optics is a dime in a dozen now. 10 yeas or so it was a big thing in the firearm world. 10 years ago they cost over $500. Today $50 or less. It become standard in some handguns. I bought a Sig 2022 last summer and to my surprise it came with tritium night sights. I just order a CZ P09 but haven't come in yet. Tritium sights come with it.

The question is is it indestructible. ACOG is famous because it is almost indestructible. For example everybody die in a airplane crash, the ACOG survived and work like new.

The overriding reason why it took so long for the US military to adopt optic was durability. Before the ACOG and Aimpoint, optics was not durable enough for standard GI field uses. Glass break because 18 years old kids do what teenagers do. They destroy things especially if it not theirs.

BTW Tritium is radioactive so there might be some people might not like it.

Last edited:

Ky Loung

HAMAS needs better gunsmiths. :)
It's not the gunsmiths fault, it's the AK. AK style covers are really really bad for mounting optics. In the previous post the only parts of the AK that is stable enough to mount the optic is the rear iron sight or side rails (Soviet era AK74, Dragunov, etc ). Any movement however small it is is unacceptable in regard to optics.

The 1913 rail is part of the upper receiver in AR15 pattern rifles. So there is absolute no movement at all. You can clearly see it in this picture.

Nickel Teflon Complete Upper Receiver (M4 Flat Top) ***BLEM*** - $99.99 | Slickguns

Last edited:

Ky Loung

@sayareakd @Kunal Biswas

[video=youtube_share;uqy_FuJAWAE]http://youtu.be/uqy_FuJAWAE[/video]
Good for civilian uses bad for military/duty uses. The auto shut down is not a feature it is a liability. You do not want your optic to shut down without you knowing it. You want your optics to be always on. Always, I can't stress that enough because you don't know when your enemy going to attack you.

For example: You woke up due to an enemy sneak attack. Pick up your rifle, saw the enemy, you take aim and then say "What the ----, my red dot auto shut off when I went to sleep." You don't want that to happen ever.

Civilian, military, and police have different needs in regard to red dot optics. Civilian can get away from durability and batter life but not police/military. The red dot must always be on. It must be able to take punishment. Low battery life is unacceptable in military/police uses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ky Loung

Most AKs come with a dovetail mount if they don't they can be fitted easily as they are designed to accept the dovetail mount. The Bulgarian AKs for instance in most cases come standard with the dovetail mount. The above said dovetail mount is supposed to look like this.

On this you can mount P-Rail adaptor or proprietary optics. With the P-Rail it looks like this.

It's not the dovetail that the problem. It the entire system. There are many type of AK 1913 cover rail system in the market. All of them cannot hold zero even if their advertisement say otherwise. That because the slightest movement however small will shift the zero.

The side mount rail is pretty high. Unless you use a cheek pad to compensate for the height, it useless to place an optic.

Last edited:

Ky Loung

Something to look out for, for standard issue infantry rifles.

[video=youtube_share;S7aYT-VsxJU]http://youtu.be/S7aYT-VsxJU[/video]

~$600 (Rs. 35,000) retail price for single piece for T1

~$500 (Rs. 30,000) retail price for single piece for H1
Aimpoint optics are very popular in USA. Civilian, police, and military use them. You can't go wrong with them. They are pretty much indestructible with a continuous (always on on normal setting) battle life between 5-7 years depending on model. Their micro series are very popular due to being small and lightweight.

BTW notice where the micro red dot is mounted on the AK shotgun.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

New helmets, new INSAS models, sights on all

The sights you can see in these pictures are holographic sight(possibly DRDO's), zeiss models, and INSAS LMG sight.

dragonslayer95

if money is not the issue,for atleast our special forces i would support hybrid sight.it will give them flexibility in range.

here is us army ranger with the same

tejas warrior

Country flag
Do any Indian companies indigeniously produce them ? OR we just import them.

Every soldiers should get this..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles