Indian Army general service vehicle

sob

Mod
Country flag
Re: Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100

Why are they still sticking to this vehicle????

Why Why

Blackwater

yessssss. together with Indian army we can beat Indian govt record of using ambassador car for 60 yrs:lol::lol::lol::lol:

35 yrs gone another 30 yrs left:pound::pound::pound:

Blackwater

Why Why

becuse local kuch ha nahi bahar se kuch lena nah
i:taunt1::taunt1:

Blackwater

chinese army jeep

pakistan army jeep

indian army jeep

:pound::pound::lol::lol:

sob

Mod
Country flag

Mahindra with BAE has some excellent stuff to offer.

This is ludicrous to go in for petrol driven vehicles which have no protection. such light weight jeeps will just need a Molotov cocktail to completely destroy

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Their is a shortage of Jeeps in Army, Army operate two kind of jeeps, Mahindra 550 and Maruti Jeep ..

Maruti-jeep offer everything except space, It has higher acceleration, quieter and more powerful engine, It is less prone to breakdowns compare to Mahindra 550 in service ..

My thinking is, Army replacing 550 and really old Jeeps, This purchase is more likely as a mid term solution ..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Why Why
Because it's completely analog. It uses an analog fuel injection and engine management, and can withstand an EMP. A modern vehicle with electronic engine management will turn into paperweight after an EMP attack. It's the same reason why senior officers still use petrol Ambassadors, with analog engines. 1. they're immune to EMP, 2. they don't trust engine electronics (ECUs) sourced from China.

Even a shuddh-desi Tata Indica eV2 with Indian Tata CR4 engine uses a Chinese-made ECU. The ARM SoCs on those ECUs could very well have a surreptitious GPS module. All it takes is a ping to a Chinese satellite masquerading as a GPS sat, to give away your pos.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

In another story >>

==================

The two new Land Rover type Tata four wheel drives gifted to the Seychelles Defence Forces by the Indian government (Jude Morel, Seychelles News Agency)

Outgoing Indian High Commissioner Thanglura Darlong (left) presenting the keys of the new vehicles to Brigadier Paye

The Seychelles Peoples' Defense Forces (SPDF) is now equipped with two new military vehicles donated by the Indian government.
The outgoing Indian High Commissioner to Seychelles, Thanglura Darlong, presented the keys of the two Land Rover type "Tata four-wheel drives" to the Chief of the Seychelles Defence Forces, Brigadier Leopold Payet in a ceremony at the SPDF headquarters at Bel Eau yesterday morning.

The Seychelles Foreign Affairs Minister Jean Paul Adam was given the honour of officially starting the vehicles.
The vehicles have been built to the latest military standards and designed to transport troops.

Darlong described the donation as testimony of the friendship and cooperation which exists between two countries, including in the areas of defense and security.

India and Seychelles share a long history of military cooperation starting almost since Seychelles became independent in 1976.
Each year a number of Seychellois soldiers are sent to for training at various Military Academies in New Delhi.

Still as part of cooperation in the military field, last year the Indian government donated a Dornier 228 Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft to the Seychelles Defence Forces.

- See more at: Seychelles military gets new Tata four-wheel drives from India - Seychelles News Agency

pmaitra

Maruti Gypsy is one of the best off-road vehicles ever made in India. The other one being the Mahindra Willy's, and variants thereof.

Blackwater

Maruti Gypsy is one of the best off-road vehicles ever made in India. The other one being the Mahindra Willy's, and variants thereof.
There is better option available abroad , khuda gawah ha ki gypsy does not fill army requirements ,

Mazboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi kab tak chelega

sob

Mod
Country flag

Because it's completely analog. It uses an analog fuel injection and engine management, and can withstand an EMP. A modern vehicle with electronic engine management will turn into paperweight after an EMP attack. It's the same reason why senior officers still use petrol Ambassadors, with analog engines. 1. they're immune to EMP, 2. they don't trust engine electronics (ECUs) sourced from China.

Even a shuddh-desi Tata Indica eV2 with Indian Tata CR4 engine uses a Chinese-made ECU. The ARM SoCs on those ECUs could very well have a surreptitious GPS module. All it takes is a ping to a Chinese satellite masquerading as a GPS sat, to give away your pos.
then isn't it better to rely on horses and bullock carts if we are afraid of modern technology.

pmaitra

then isn't it better to rely on horses and bullock carts if we are afraid of modern technology.
I think @tarunraju is talking about EMP attacks, not livestock hauled carriages.

It is one thing to be "modern," and quite another to be vulnerable. If legacy technology makes a vehicle less vulnerable, then legacy technology is certainly better than modern technology.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

Some people start criticising just for the sake of criticising. Indian army is a very big organization which requires a lot of light vehicles. There is nothing wrong with buying Gypsy.

However Gypsy is NOT THE ONLY LIGHT VEHICLE in army. There are other vehicles as well.

Gypsy is a low cost easy to maintain vehicle. The analog ECU as explained by @pmaitra seems logical. I maintain my first purchase - 1996 Maruti 800 (carburetted) for the same reason.

sob

Mod
Country flag

I think @tarunraju is talking about EMP attacks, not livestock hauled carriages.

It is one thing to be "modern," and quite another to be vulnerable. If legacy technology makes a vehicle less vulnerable, then legacy technology is certainly better than modern technology.
I have seen the performance of Gypsy vehicles on rough mountain terrain driven by army personnel. On a recent trip to Nathula Pass the road was non existent and there was a Gypsy ahead of us bouncing all over the rocks and barely able to make a headway. An army Pajero came from behind and roared away with apparent ease.

Also there are studies which show that nearly 60% to 80% vehicles will survive and EMP attack. If required the vehicles can be EMP protected, though I admit it will be expensive.
The disadvantages of Gypsy far outweigh this argument.

pmaitra

I have seen the performance of Gypsy vehicles on rough mountain terrain driven by army personnel. On a recent trip to Nathula Pass the road was non existent and there was a Gypsy ahead of us bouncing all over the rocks and barely able to make a headway. An army Pajero came from behind and roared away with apparent ease.

Also there are studies which show that nearly 60% to 80% vehicles will survive and EMP attack. If required the vehicles can be EMP protected, though I admit it will be expensive.
The disadvantages of Gypsy far outweigh this argument.
I have been on the Gypsy in the Bandhavgarh National Forest and to the Rohtang Pass. I have been to Nathu La Pass, and also travelled from Gangtok, Sikkim to Siliguri, in the middle of a torrent, in Mahindra 4x4. NH had a landslide, so we had to take the mountain un-metalled roads. Also, I have the experience of climbing Tiger Hill near Darjeeling on a decades old Land Rover, which most modern Land Rovers are guaranteed to fail.

No comment on Pajero, but let's not get carried away by brand names or the perceived modernity. I have never been in a Pajero. If you want a real off-roader, go for a KamAZ, UralAZ, or Tatra. If we want (and I think the Army needs) a light and nimble off-roader, which is less vulnerable, for that purpose, a Gypsy is a very good off-roader, affordable, relatively easy to fix, and reliable.

There are lucky guys who own one since when it was available for civilian sale.

sgarg

The ride quality has to be balanced with cost of maintenance. I have had bad experience of maintaining cars in the last 10 years. Softer suspensions go bad rather fast on bad roads.

Gypsy is a very durable vehicle. Petrol vehicles are much easier to maintain compared to diesel. Army should have petrol vehicles. It makes no sense to have only diesel vehicles.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Wouldn't it be great if they insert metal plates into the doors and panels to give some resistance to light and medium firing. Something like the basic military hummer where armour plates are detachable from the doors.

Blackwater

Wouldn't it be great if they insert metal plates into the doors and panels to give some resistance to light and medium firing. Something like the basic military hummer where armour plates are detachable from the doors.
Will the 1300 cc engine pick up all the weight ????

Global Defence

New threads

Articles