Indian Army general service vehicle

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One of the reasons for the Army's plans to phase out the petrol-run Gypsy with the diesel engine cars is the rising prices of petrol.
One of the main reason for going in for diesel is that it will cut down on the logistic bookkeeping and inventory since all vehicles/ equipment (well, most) use diesel.

And in war, it is material to minimise the inventory!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In a Unit Maruti as well as Mahindra both vehicles are present this increase logistics, Maruti is more powerful but has petrol and small size but in almost all units Maruti is preferred over Mahindra, I hope which ever the vehicle we are getting should be spacious and powerful..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In a Unit Maruti as well as Mahindra both vehicles are present this increase logistics, Maruti is more powerful but has petrol and small size but in almost all units Maruti is preferred over Mahindra, I hope which ever the vehicle we are getting should be spacious and powerful..
One always have to remember that when the Engineers cut roads (actually operational tracks) in virgin mountains under combat, the wider the vehicle, the wider will be the requirement of the cut and so more time is consumed to make the track operational.

This factor plays a role in the attack plan.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I always preferred the Nissan Patrol (Jonga) over the Maruti Gypsy even though the Gypsy was more comfortable and easier to drive.

JBH22

What will happen to the TATA LSV?

Why army is not going for a HUMVEE style 4x4.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why army is not going for a HUMVEE style 4x4.
The dimensions have to fit into the operational terrain and in some areas, it is very restricted.

One cannot have an array of weaponry and equipment since it will create a large logistic inventory and large units to store the same and account and supply.

The tail to teeth ratio.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Another Vehicle I would like to see competing is the TATA Xenon.

I think it is more utilitarian then the commercial Safari and Scorpio.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Mahindra Bolero Camper boxy and basic, not an SUV but yet..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
:yuno: like alloy?

Alloy = Tubeless tyres, Run-flat tyres, Less punctures, no warping of tyre rim...
Alloy rims aka Mag wheels are good for highways, (preferably with less potholes ) not for Military purpose. Alloy rims are lighter but cannot pass military training :truestory:

ladder

Country flag
:yuno: like alloy?

Alloy = Tubeless tyres, Run-flat tyres, Less punctures, no warping of tyre rim...
Only forged aluminium or carbon fibre wheels are good but costly.

if cast alloy they can crack or break while off-roading and need to be replaced.
But steel wheel if bent can be hammered back to shape, so cheap solution.

cost is the factor.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Not a GPV, But this will be needed if scorpio is selected..

=========================

Fall in LSV catagory not GPV, AXE and other are involve in it..

Wonder if Scorpios and Safaris can do this

Open top version.
==========================

Pick ups are used in MES ( TATA ESTATE ) Pick ups cannot be utalised for GPV..

Another Vehicle I would like to see competing is the TATA Xenon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles