Indian Army general service vehicle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One of the reason is that Force Motors have little influence on Army..

I hope BSF and other Paramilitary get it into service..

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Yes I agree with Mr. Biswas I too love an independent company to be in the army without tie ups and fuck ups. Force Gurkha is far superior to civilian converted army vehicles. To go in for companies that are here and there will only prolonge the acceptance of the product. From an old soldier- the army needs you and I mean you, not you who went to the other side.

Last edited:

AbRaj

Country flag
Yes I agree with Mr. Biswas I too love an independent company to be in the army without tie ups and fuck ups. Force Gurkha is far superior to civilian converted army vehicles. To go in for companies that are here and there will only prolonge the acceptance of the product. From an old soldier- the army needs you and I mean you, not you who went to the other side.
Their vehicles are not as good as you are thinking. They are just a notch above than "assembly" of imparted models from Germany and China.
And Gurkha is not a value for money product. Have a look at their prices

AbRaj

Country flag
Nissan 1 ton

Its the best vehicle that Army had
Called "Daalla" here
And I always though these as some local jugad vehicle made specially for sand transport.
Look very crude.
Sound ferocious :biggrin2: (when I was child I always stop and give pass to these crude monsters)
Can be easily seen in Riverside (Ganga) used by sand transporters

Last edited:

armyofhind

Country flag
Their vehicles are not as good as you are thinking. They are just a notch above than "assembly" of imparted models from Germany and China.
And Gurkha is not a value for money product. Have a look at their prices
Have you driven one? On the Indian civilian market, its the most capable Off-Roader. Even more so, than the nearest competitor, Mahindra Thar.

AbRaj

Country flag
Have you driven one? On the Indian civilian market, its the most capable Off-Roader. Even more so, than the nearest competitor, Mahindra Thar.
I have friends who once owned Gurkha
Had a very bad experience form that vehicle. Well except from engine which I suppose is Mercedes sourced

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Like i said, Many of you don`t know about as it came and gone before most of you came to this world ..

Glad to see these jugaads still operating without much support, Its origin is not Indian though ..

Called "Daalla" here
And I always though these as some local jugad vehicle made specially for sand transport.
Look very crude.
Sound ferocious :biggrin2: (when I was child I always stop and give pass to these crude monsters)
Can be easily seen in Riverside (Ganga) used by sand transporters
==============

Their are plenty of reviews and feedback say otherwise ..

Can you put some detail what went wrong ..

I have friends who once owned Gurkha
Had a very bad experience form that vehicle. Well except from engine which I suppose is Mercedes sourced

AbRaj

Country flag
Like i said, Many of you don`t know about as it came and gone before most of you came to this world ..

Glad to see these jugaads still operating without much support, Its origin is not Indian though ..

==============

Their are plenty of reviews and feedback say otherwise ..

Can you put some detail what went wrong ..
His complaints are not releated to off-road performance, rather day to day use. Like gear,clutch etc etc. I never bothered about details though

aditya g

Country flag
IA experience with Pajero:

The story below shows that the latest and best may not necessarily be suited to Indian conditions. The company (Hindustan Motors - same who made Ambassador car :doh: ) is blaming Army for poor fuel, no additives etcs should have known the requirements and advised & trained Army personnel. In this sense, Gypsy, Mahindra and Tata products are better off.

Lesson for IA and others is that while Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products can be convenient to procure, they may turn out to be a liability.

https://www.rushlane.com/indian-army-not-happy-with-mitsubishi-pajero-12204271.html

The Indian Army has had to bring down some of their Mitsubishi Pajero SUVs in use along the Indo-Chinese border as engines have been malfunctioning.

The Army is of the opinion that Mitsubishi Pajero SUVs supplied to them in Sikkim, performed below expectations, specifically at higher altitudes. 3 models have been brought down to Kolkata for repairs, of which one is being used at the Army’s Eastern Command Head Quarters at Fort Williams while one is also used by Lt. Gen. Praveen Bakshi, Eastern Army Commander.

Even as the Indian Army is facing these problems with engine performance, Mitsubishi states that the problem has arisen due to use of poor quality diesel used by the Indian Army. Mitsubishi claims that Indian Army used Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) :eek1:, which consists of 70% kerosene as against the imported additive as suggested by the automaker.

The company contends that the SUV itself is sturdy and has performed well under adverse weather conditions. The company had suggested use of special additives to avoid freezing of diesel right at the time of purchase, which the Indian Army failed to take note of. It was due to substandard fuel that the engines of these particular Mitsubishi Pajero SUVs developed problems with fuel injection pumps and other related parts.

It was between 2011 and 2014 that the Indian Army procured these Mitsubishi Pajero’s for use at the border areas. Poor maintenance, lack of right additives to avoid diesel freezing and use of different fuel, led to these constraints which Eastern Command spokesperson stated he was not aware of. He said that such interaction between senior officials and the company could have taken place in Delhi at the time of purchase, while they were not informed of the same.

Re: Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100

I have seen the performance of Gypsy vehicles on rough mountain terrain driven by army personnel. On a recent trip to Nathula Pass the road was non existent and there was a Gypsy ahead of us bouncing all over the rocks and barely able to make a headway. An army Pajero came from behind and roared away with apparent ease.

Also there are studies which show that nearly 60% to 80% vehicles will survive and EMP attack. If required the vehicles can be EMP protected, though I admit it will be expensive.
The disadvantages of Gypsy far outweigh this argument.
Re: Maruti Gypsy gets repeat order from Army, 4,100

I have been on the Gypsy in the Bandhavgarh National Forest and to the Rohtang Pass. I have been to Nathu La Pass, and also travelled from Gangtok, Sikkim to Siliguri, in the middle of a torrent, in Mahindra 4x4. NH had a landslide, so we had to take the mountain un-metalled roads. Also, I have the experience of climbing Tiger Hill near Darjeeling on a decades old Land Rover, which most modern Land Rovers are guaranteed to fail.

No comment on Pajero, but let's not get carried away by brand names or the perceived modernity. I have never been in a Pajero. If you want a real off-roader, go for a KamAZ, UralAZ, or Tatra. If we want (and I think the Army needs) a light and nimble off-roader, which is less vulnerable, for that purpose, a Gypsy is a very good off-roader, affordable, relatively easy to fix, and reliable.

There are lucky guys who own one since when it was available for civilian sale.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas sir would ex IA gepsyes be avilable on the Civi market as they sre replaced by the TATAs

Sorry for the OTQ

Krusty

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas sir would ex IA gepsyes be avilable on the Civi market as they sre replaced by the TATAs

Sorry for the OTQ
I came across a lot of gypsys from IA up for bidding at OFB Avadi many years ago. I am sure atleast a part the current gypsy fleet will be up for grabs for civilians. @Kunal Biswas sir can confirm.

I think you can directly get information on auctions and bids for vehicles among other things from

https://eauction.gov.in/eAuction/app

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles