Indian Army 'dream' lures youths in hordes to Pokhara

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Indian Army 'dream' lures youths in hordes to Pokhara | idrw.org

Many and various are the tales of valour displayed in battlefields by Nepali soldiers serving in Gorkha regiments of the Indian Army and the British Army .

'Brave' was an inseparable superlative earned by Gurkha soldiers during World War I and the saga of their gallantry continues till this day. For many young Nepali men, serving in the Gorkha regiment has become a family profession, a tradition of bearing on the valiant legacy of their predecessors. Continuation of family legacy by proving one's mettle on battlegrounds, however, is not the sole reason that drives these young men to become servicemen in foreign lands. Perks and salary offered by

the job is what attracts them these days. Hundreds of young men have arrived in Pokhara from different parts of the country to take part in the recruitment programme of the Indian Army. They will undergo different levels of physical and aptitude tests at Ratnachowk ground.

Jeevan Thapa Magar is trying for the Indian Army for the fourth time. He flunked the written test for three times in the past, but he has not given up hope. The 18-year-old from Palpa believes that the job in the Indian Army will secure his future. "There is no guarantee that I will get a well paying job in the country. I will continue to try for the job in the Indian Army as long as my age allows," Magar said.

The cut-off age for recruits eligible to join the Indian Army is 21 years. There are scores of young men like Magar, participating at the ongoing recruitment even after multiple disqualifications in the past.

Dhan Bahadur Thapa of Gulmi is also trying his luck for the fourth time. He flunked in the previous three tryouts, as he could not measure up with other candidates in sprint challenge.

"If I fail this time then I will have one last chance and if that, too, does not work, then I plan to go aborad for employment," the 20-year-old said.

Lack of job opportunities in the country and the not-so-handsome paycheque have led to many young Nepalis to choose the Indian Army, for it offers good money compared to jobs they could land in the country. For men like Magar and Thapa, it is a dream job and as such, they are not ready to give up on it despite their past failings. The tenacity these men have shown is tinged with a sense of desperation.

"There is nothing to do in the country. Recuritment is more of a compulsion than interest," said Tukesh Radhi, who is trying his luck for yet another time.

trackwhack

Its such a shame we have not done more for Nepal. If we had, then money alone would not be the driving factor in these recruitments.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is the officer recruitment process similar to the OP?
I am aware of Nepal origin officers and they are from the Military Schools of India (earlier known as King George's School).

Neuve_Chapelle

Prachanda will not be pleased.
Ray, considering that almost all of these youth come from Nepalese hinterland that was wracked Maoists (read local mafia) till recently, are you aware of any vetting process before they join IA? Or is that even a concern?

drkrn

Ray, considering that almost all of these youth come from Nepalese hinterland that was wracked Maoists (read local mafia) till recently, are you aware of any vetting process before they join IA? Or is that even a concern?
may be ia will interact with local police.before getting a government job in india,every selected candidate list is sent to police for inquiry regarding any civil/criminal cases

debasree

Country flag
Why we recruit foreign fellows when we have gurkhas in west bengal

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles