Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

Kunal Bis6 said:
was;78415

Better Idea ..

================

Its nothing to do with population but strategic locations, Which give tactical edge over enemy ..
so what about people??

DivineHeretic

Country flag
@Kunal, @drkrn,

The AC130 is a formiddable and fast, reliable and overwhelmingly powerful solution to CAS demands of modern warfare. But ask any senior Commander or senior Pilot and they will tell you in a heartbeat that a transport AC ( albeit a heavily modified one) has no business being anywhere close to the frontlines of a conflict.

They have just far too poor chances of survival against even earlier gen MANPADS. And they are far too big and lumbering to flee the scene quickly should threats to it arise. The US arrangement of using the spooky/Spectre is against forces with little or no Air defence capability.

They are absolutely not meant to be against actual militaries. Hell, I'd say they are incapable of being used againt even well funded militia.( Read militia supported/supplied by a major power)

would the USA use them over Syria, should it enter directly into the conflict?
Would the USA use them over Afganistan if the taliban were being backed up by Russia or USSR?
The answer to them should be enough to let everyone know of its limitations

Don't get me wrong. I know what the Spectre can do to a battlefield, what it can do to friendly morale. But its just too big, too slow to survive against a well equiped opposition ground force. And at $190 million, it is equivalent to bringing a AWE&CS right into enemy airspace.

We have to find other more survival solutions.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Good point, @DivineHeretic. If you look at AC 130 missions on YouTube they all directed at insurgents with no night vision or AD capability at all.

p2prada

How things work with the assembly of such massive guns. The stress on frame, the targeting (software ?), if special ammunition etc. is required to reduce the recoil, range of the ammunition and advantages.

I can fairly say such tools of war are for once you have established or can establish air dominance/supremacy. The scenarios under IAF train and operate are/going to be less than air supremacy or dominance i.e transient Air superiority. Please correct me If am wrong. Your opinion @p2prada; please.
It would be nice to have a 120mm gun in the air, but I don't know whether IAF has any requirement for it.

Anything with a propeller in the FEBA (Forward Edge of Battlefield Area) will get killed in our theater, especially with the number of advanced MANPADS and SR/MR-SAMs the Pakistanis and Chinese have. How it will be employed in battle, I don't know.

Anyway, if we plan on getting one we can think about placing it on the IL-214 instead.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles