Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Anathema

Country flag
You use the FSO IR sensor with IR mica for full passive.Or you use radar/spectra and fire a pair of micas - one radar guided ,one IR guided.Enemy sees the radar guided one coming,but not the IR guided one.IR shots are deadly as they cant be jammed.
Radar/ spectra would ensure that RWR of enemy would be screaming, they would take evasive manuveurs. FSO at bvr distance ? Not sure

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Radar/ spectra would ensure that RWR of enemy would be screaming, they would take evasive manuveurs. FSO at bvr distance ? Not sure
Yes,RWR would detect the radar and the active warhead mica and take evasive measure.But it wont see the IR mica coming with it.Rafale FSO has long range IR sensor range greater than that of MICA.

assassin162

Country flag
I have a query guys, why Indian Air Force keeps its Mig 21 squadrons only in Pathankot(2sq) and Srinagar (1sq) which keeps watch of contested borders of Jammu and Kashmir? What are the tactical and strategic reasons of keeping major fighters away from there? Its advantages and disadvantages as such? Also in light if Balakot and its aftermath.....:scared2:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
I have a query guys, why Indian Air Force keeps its Mig 21 squadrons only in Pathankot(2sq) and Srinagar (1sq) which keeps watch of contested borders of Jammu and Kashmir? What are the tactical and strategic reasons of keeping major fighters away from there? Its advantages and disadvantages as such? Also in light if Balakot and its aftermath.....:scared2:
i would advice everyone not to post any sensitive ( tactical info on open forums)....
mig21 are interceptors...they got excellent acceleration and low rcs on radars....as u said its contested border...iaf needs something can be deployed quickly...here mig21 fits easily....

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Single engine fighter with quickest response time in IAF is mig21.
It also has limited range and is only useful as point defence fighter,nothing else.Keeping it inland is waste.
Mig29s guard forward bases at 2squadrons in awantipore and 1 in jamnagar covering core areas of gujarat and punjab as interceptors.Rajasthan is covered by sukhois(which also cover gujarat and punjab ).
IAF doesnt keep too many sukhois in forward bases due to vulnerability and lack of enough sukhoi sized hardened shelters{being fixed}.You will soon see tejas or a new mig29upg in srinagar airbase replacing migs.Sukhoi can operate from there if needed.

assassin162

Country flag
i would advice everyone not to post any sensitive ( tactical info on open forums)....
mig21 are interceptors...they got excellent acceleration and low rcs on radars....as u said its contested border...iaf needs something can be deployed quickly...here mig21 fits easily....
The thing is this is wiki based open source info also this has been published multiple times over since Balakot in many articles.
Now, the question remains that in case of war, the superior aircrafts which are required to dominate will all have to be from Punjab or Delhi or UP or Haryana in J&K.
So, is this a strategy to leave out air domination of Kashmir and if yes, than likely reasons?

Last edited:

assassin162

Country flag
Single engine fighter with quickest response time in IAF is mig21.
It also has limited range and is only useful as point defence fighter,nothing else.Keeping it inland is waste.
Mig29s guard forward bases at 2squadrons in awantipore and 1 in jamnagar covering core areas of gujarat and punjab as interceptors.Rajasthan is covered by sukhois(which also cover gujarat and punjab ).
IAF doesnt keep too many sukhois in forward bases due to vulnerability and lack of enough sukhoi sized hardened shelters{being fixed}.You will soon see tejas or a new mig29upg in srinagar airbase replacing migs.Sukhoi can operate from there if needed.
Your answer was probably comprehensive. But aren't the mig29's kept in Jamnagar in Rajasthan or Adampur in Punjab? If they keep switching between Awantipur and Adampur according yo operational requirement, i understand what you meant. Incidentally was reading about Awantipur airport and how Awantipur got its name etc last night before I had this query that I put here. :crazy:
Yeah as early as mig 21 is replaced the better. Haha.
Yeah Sukhoi should be kept minimum near to border areas, because of the vulnerability of losing them in first strike......

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Your answer was probably comprehensive. But aren't the mig29's kept in Jamnagar in Rajasthan or Adampur in Punjab? If they keep switching between Awantipur and Adampur according yo operational requirement, i understand what you meant. Incidentally was reading about Awantipur airport and how Awantipur got its name etc last night before I had this query that I put here. :crazy:
Yeah as early as mig 21 is replaced the better. Haha.
Yeah Sukhoi should be kept minimum near to border areas, because of the vulnerability of losing them in first strike......
Sry typo,yes 2 squadrons of mig29s from admapur cover punjab as interceptors.1 sq in jamnagar covers gujarat.Remains to be seen where 4rth squadron will go,either srinagar or it will go to jamnagar.

Bhurki

What makes you think there's something secret about mig 21 after being produced for more than 60 years and 11000 in number? Its open source int about each and every nut and bolt used in its airframe, every possible flight profile has been studied and is out there. It was literally one of the first jets to go supersonic.
Its like a simple knife that has limited capability but is easy to use.
Don't try to use the veil of 'secret' to stop something that increases people's interest in IAF. Its this reason that Indians don't feel an intimacy with the air force while you see westerners give their planes names like BOne, BuFF etc because info that might not hurt anyone to be made public is hidden in the name of redtape secrets.
If anything, i would advise IAF to sell these mig 21 to common public after decommissioning and de-arming them, so the public can understand what wqs the state of machines IAF had to fly due to carelessness of MoD.

Last edited:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
What makes you think there's something secret about mig 21 after being produced for more than 60 years and 11000 in number? Its open source int about each and every nut and bolt used in its airframe, every possible flight profile has been studied and is out there. It was literally one of the first jets to go supersonic.
Its like a simple knife that has limited capability but is easy to use.
Don't try to use the veil of 'secret' to stop something that increases people's interest in IAF. Its this reason that Indians don't feel an intimacy with the air force while you see westerners give their planes names like BOne, BuFF etc because info that might not hurt anyone to be made public is hidden in the name of redtape secrets.
If anything, i would advise IAF to sell these mig 21 to common public after decommissioning and de-arming them, so the public can understand what wqs the state of machines IAF had to fly due to carelessness of MoD.
there is no super secret about technical aspects of mig21... Every thing is available on internet.....
read assassins post..... he was asking about strategic n tactical reasons of deployment of m21 in kashmir... i am not from airforce... So i told him what i know.....
n yes i wouldnt recommend a member posting something which isnt available on internet....

Shiv sagar

Country flag
there is no super secret about technical aspects of mig21... Every thing is available on internet.....
read assassins post..... he was asking about strategic n tactical reasons of deployment of m21 in kashmir... i am not from airforce... So i told him what i know.....
n yes i wouldnt recommend a member posting something which isnt available on internet....
Ya you can even purchase used mig 21( without the bells and whistles ofcourse) in Usa and fly the same if know how to. But our migs are different in every aspect except the air frame and may be the engines..and with deployment even if its not open-source, it is known to our neighborhood enemies via their spy satellites ( to some extent).

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Ya you can even purchase used mig 21( without the bells and whistles ofcourse) in Usa and fly the same if know how to. But our migs are different in every aspect except the air frame and may be the engines..and with deployment even if its not open-source, it is known to our neighborhood enemies via their spy satellites ( to some extent).
so?

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
S-400 AND S-300 UNABLE TO DETECT F-35 FLYING 100 OF KM IN S-400 PROTECTED AREA.
Real or fake?
:confused1::hmm:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/rus...le-to-detect-israeli-f-35s-flying-over-syria/
No its true,S400 can detect f35 only at 50-60km.F35 is an all aspect stealth fighter.But we dont need to worry about that,we wont be facing f35.J20 lacks true stealth due to canards and old engines.The best way to detect f35 like fighters is long range IRST sensor on a fighter.Use a pair of them to get cross targeting lock.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
S-400 AND S-300 UNABLE TO DETECT F-35 FLYING 100 OF KM IN S-400 PROTECTED AREA.
Real or fake?
:confused1::hmm:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/rus...le-to-detect-israeli-f-35s-flying-over-syria/
This article is pure rubbish for the simple reason that Syria does not have the S-400 system as yet. So the statement that it did not identify the F-35 is poppycock.

The only countries that have deployed the S-400 systems are:

Russia
China
Turkey
Belarus
Algeria

Syria has the S-300 and not S-400. On 1 October 2018 three battalions of S-300 PM systems of eight launchers each were delivered to Syria. The deliveries also included more than 100 surface-to-air missiles for each battalion. The S-400 is a league ahead of the S-300 in target acquisition and identification.

Last edited:

Wisemarko

Country flag
This article is pure rubbish for the simple reason that Syria does not have the S-400 system as yet. So the statement that it did not identify the F-35 is poppycock.

The only countries that have deployed the S-400 systems are:

Russia
China
Turkey
Belarus
Algeria

Syria has the S-300 and not S-400. On 1 October 2018 three battalions of S-300 PM systems of eight launchers each were delivered to Syria. The deliveries also included more than 100 surface-to-air missiles for each battalion. The S-400 is a league ahead of the S-300 in target acquisition and identification.
Incorrect: S-400 is deployed in Syria since 2015.
https://www.military.com/defensetech/2018/01/26/russia-deploys-more-s-400-missile-systems-syria.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34976537

Global Defence

New threads

Articles