Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

arya

Country flag
Superb....now make this a realit.....

We should go for upgraded version with better missile / engine / stealth . we should talk to russia what offer they have ??

I think we should now invest in 5 th generation planes / Attack drones .

Sancho

You can't just blame present government for that]
You have to, because low defence budgets and the policy change towards the US and away from Russia, were key reasons FGFA or MTA joint developments saw no way forward in the last few years.
FGFA joint development simply got too costly and the cancellation might still leave room for a Su 57 MKI deal, but it's evident that the government is pushing towards the US.

I saw the video before and DRDO lobbying is always a problem, but it's the government that sets policies and lead the way.

Last edited:

proud_indian

Country flag
I saw the video before and DRDO lobbying is always a problem, but it's the government that sets policies and lead the way.
I impression I got from the video is that

1) None of the gentlemen in this discussion seems to be content with the progress Russians have made or what they promised.

2) They are not happy with the stealth shaping of the airframe and they don't consider it a true stealth fighter likes of F-22/F-35 or even J-20?

3) They all have consensus on the price escalation from the Russian side as well as technology denial and the work sharing.

in the light of the above arguments, I don't really think you can unilaterally blame the government for the derailment of this deal and I think SU-57 MKI would be a better deal when / If this fighter matures rather than committing billions of dollars in a half-baked product that their own air force doesn't seem to be very interested as of now.

And as far as MTA is concerned again IAF wanted western engines but Russians didn't agree with that demand.

Sancho

I impression I got from the video is that

1) None of the gentlemen in this discussion seems to be content with the progress Russians have made or what they promised.

2) They are not happy with the stealth shaping of the airframe and they don't consider it a true stealth fighter likes of F-22/F-35 or even J-20?
That's a debatable matter, what's not debatable is, that IAF has no alternative!
F35 is not on offer and doesn't provide the performance and capabilities IAF asks from FGFA either. AMCA is a dream that remains decades away. So either we go for FGFA or get the rights to customize it to suite our needs, or we lose the technological edge over China, we had so far with the MKI over Chinese Flankers.

3) They all have consensus on the price escalation from the Russian side as well as technology denial and the work sharing.
That's probably even true, but you also have take the simple reality into account, that we have next to nothing to contribute to that project!
We are decades behind Russia in terms of radar, engine, fighter design and they even made a much bigger leap on EW in the recent years, than we did even with Israeli help. So when you are in the superior position, you decide the ground rules of the negotiations. We can complain about tech share or contribution, but we don't have an alternative either and in anyway, the outcome would had been better, than the MKI deal too.

And as far as MTA is concerned again IAF wanted western engines but Russians didn't agree with that demand.
Yes, that was one of the concerns, but that's again a matter of negotiation, not a reason for cancellation of one of our most important aviation projects.

MMRCA
FGFA
MTA

Were meant to provide our industry crucial know how inputs for the future and access to exports of parts from India (Make In India), but all 3 were cancelled under the new government.

arya

Country flag
No doubt IAF is in very bad shape & future look very dark unless utill something come extra ordinary .

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
No doubt IAF is in very bad shape & future look very dark unless utill something come extra ordinary .
Top brass of IAF are only interested in filling up their wallets. Delays in Nation's prestigious projects is taking its toll.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles