Indian Air Force Mil Mi-35 Hind E Gunship Helicopter

Jangaruda

India has donated some of these monsters to the Afghan Army nd is looking to replace these with Boeing AH-64 Apache gunships..

Nuvneet Kundu

India has donated some of these monsters to the Afghan Army nd is looking to replace these with Boeing AH-64 Apache gunships..
Replace would be a strong word. We only ordered 22 Apaches. We have literally hundreds of Russian helicopters. I think they will probably use individual Apaches as a 'tip of a sphere' in a formation of indigenous helicopters. Parrikar has said that India will be inducting 600+ helicopters so this includes Russian as well as indigenous helicopters. Apache will probably used as an information dissipation media due to its long radar range. It will operate in forward areas and broadcast the battlefield information for other helicopters to execute.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Replace would be a strong word. We only ordered 22 Apaches. We have literally hundreds of Russian helicopters. I think they will probably use individual Apaches as a 'tip of a sphere' in a formation of indigenous helicopters. Parrikar has said that India will be inducting 600+ helicopters so this includes Russian as well as indigenous helicopters. Apache will probably used as an information dissipation media due to its long radar range. It will operate in forward areas and broadcast the battlefield information for other helicopters to execute.
The Mi-35/24 is only in service in limted numebrs (maybe 30 units) and thus will entirely be replaced by the AH-64E (22 on order with an option of a further 11 and the IA hunting for 39 of their own) in the IAF. I don't think he was refering to the Mi-17.

Nuvneet Kundu

The Mi-35/24 is only in service in limted numebrs (maybe 30 units) and thus will entirely be replaced by the AH-64E (22 on order with an option of a further 11 and the IA hunting for 39 of their own) in the IAF. I don't think he was refering to the Mi-17.
We are running the show on less than 35 attack helicopters? and the rest are all transport helis? Dayum! we need more. Hopefully indigenous attack helis will fill that gap.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Wonderful pictures.

Mil35 is the best attack helicopter in the world. Apache is agile, but in terms of armour and firepower, Hind rules them all.

Nuvneet Kundu

Wonderful pictures.

Mil35 is the best attack helicopter in the world. Apache is agile, but in terms of armour and firepower, Hind rules them all.
The Apache has better information sharing capabilities across the spectrum (longer range radar, better EW capabilities). It's more of a forward operating information gathering and dissipation tool than anything else. One can expend all its firepower in just a 30 second burst. It has 1200 bullets and 8/16 missiles. That's nominal firepower. It's the electronic warfare capability that makes it stand out over other platforms. It can share data with other platforms (drones, satellites, tanks, jets) to create a fused image of the battlefield for situation awareness. It's these things that will drive the modern battlefield, especially in the context of choppers. Otherwise, if it were merely a case of superior firepower, no military would induct a heli that costs 60 million $, when powerful fighter jets were available for much less.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
@Nuvneet Kundu, certainly true. The Apache is peerless in low detection and EW. Also imho, great at crossing borders during invasion following the first line of fighter jets. We should get these no doubt. Not much use comparing them to Hinds though. Hinds can carry troops as well as is a heavy combat chopper with tremendous firepower, different class, if you ask me.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Heard that India paid for Mil-25 to Afghanistan but delivered from Russia.
India has limited number of anti-tank helis. Ah-64 not arrived yet.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Heard that India paid for Mil-25 to Afghanistan but delivered from Russia.
India has limited number of anti-tank helis. Ah-64 not arrived yet.
Nope. India has transferred Hinds straight out of the IAF's inventory to the ANSF:

Onboard an IAF C-17 en route to Kabul:

Modi visited them during his trip to Kabul:

To the left you can see the tail of an IAF BBJ (there for the PM):

Gessler

Country flag
After the Apaches come in (around 2018-19), it's very likely that IAF will transfer all the remaining 16 Hinds to Afghanistan. The Indian Mi-35s are equipped with some advanced Israeli electro-optical targeting systems and avionics and that puts them a step above other Hinds.

That said, I feel as though that around 2020-2025 or so, we'd be looking to donate a few LCH to the ANSF to replace the Hinds with, when the time comes.

abingdonboy

Country flag
That said, I feel as though that around 2020-2025 or so, we'd be looking to donate a few LCH to the ANSF to replace the Hinds with, when the time comes.
Let's hope those with Afghanistan's best interests in mind are able to keep the state viable agaisnt Paki proxies until then.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles