India willing to walk the extra mile with Bangladesh

atleast_a_bronze

Country flag
Hi friend, why will China veto India to be a UNSC permanent membership?
Stax, Your question should be why won't China veto India to be a UNSC Permanent Member.
Remember, China had played the spoiler covertly while trying to block NSG waiver for India. The NSG waiver was just undigestable for China. How would a India as permanent UNSC member would be for China?

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Nation | Delhi-Dhaka culture pact

Delhi-Dhaka culture pact

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

New Delhi, Jan. 13: India and Bangladesh have signed a comprehensive cultural exchange plan for the next two years, cementing ties in the fields of art, youth affairs, sports and mass media.

The last time the two countries had inked such a deal was in 1972 when they signed the Cultural Co-operative Agreement, and the new Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP) is the first follow-up on that 38-year-old pact.

According to the CEP — signed by culture secretary Jawhar Sircar and Bangladesh foreign secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes during Sheikh Hasina’s visit — Indian and Bangladeshi scholars and academics in the fields of art, culture, literature, dance, music and theatre will exchange visits.

The cross-border co-operation would include mime shows, exhibitions and visits by jatra groups to meet local demands for exposure to each other’s cultural traditions.

Under the CEP, the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) and its counterpart academic institutions or museums will exchange one scholar each to identify areas of collaboration. Both sides will exchange students in the field of theatre.

They will also exchange library personnel, while the National Library of India and the department of Public Library in Bangladesh will swap reading material, including books and microfilms. Both sides will hold handicraft exhibitions in each other’s country on a reciprocal basis along with live demonstrations.

The CEP says India will send two officials of the Archaeological Survey of India to Bangladesh for a study-cum-lecture tour and in return will host two officers of the Bangladesh Department of Archaeology and Museums.

The ASI will lend expertise required by any archaeological surveys that Bangladesh may require to undertake.

Both sides will exchange writers in the field of culture. The Sahitya Akademi will publish an anthology of poetry from Bangladesh in return for a reciprocal gesture from Dhaka.

The neighbours will exchange children’s paintings, dolls, books and works of creative arts. India will invite Bangladeshi children to participate in an international children’s competition.

A decision was also taken to exchange rare publications that are not otherwise available in the open market to enrich libraries in both countries. For India, the Salarjung Museum, Hyderabad, will facilitate the exchange of publications and catalogues.

Both sides will exchange one senior science professional or museologist for two weeks each.

The CEP envisages sharing experiences in the field of sports and exploring the possibility of exchanging teams, coaches and administrators in diverse disciplines.

On mass media, both sides will exchange programmes through their radio and TV organisations and provide facilities for visiting professionals.

They have also agreed to exchange two journalists each, including those engaged in dissemination of government information.

Both sides will participate in each other’s international film festivals in the category of documentary, short and animation films. Both India and Bangladesh will organise film weeks in each other’s country.

Pintu

Opposing India a habit of some people in Bangladesh: Hasina - South Asia - World - The Times of India

Opposing India a habit of some people in Bangladesh: Hasina

PTI, 16 January 2010, 07:13pm IST

DHAKA: Amid stepped up criticism from the main opposition BNP, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today defended key pacts inked with India during her landmark visit to New Delhi, saying anti-India campaign in Bangladesh has become "a habit of some people".

Hasina today criticised the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its chief Khaleda Zia for alleging that the Awami League leader had "compromised the national interest" during her maiden visit after taking office following the landmark December 2008 parliamentary elections.

In an apparent reference to her arch rival, Hasina said "opposing India is nothing new in Bangladesh".

"We are familiar with the anti-India campaign since 1954 elections...it became a habit of some people and we have nothing to do about it," she told a press conference here.

The Prime Minister said: "I have succeeded in my mission as Bangladesh's interests have been protected cent percent".

During Hasina's visit to New Delhi, Bangladesh promised not to allow its territory to be used for terror against India as they signed three agreements to jointly combat the menace while India announced a one-billion dollar line of credit to that country.
The significant Line of Credit offered by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during talks with his Bangladesh counterpart marked the highest one-time grant by India to any country.

BNP plans to build an alliance of "like-minded" parties to begin an anti-government campaign to protest the deals inked during Hasina's India tour.

leonblack08

Respected Member
You were desperate for military equipment during your freedom struggle,strange how people forget how and who won them there liberty.freedom isnt't free.
You are confusing things here sky.

First of all,in 1971,we were fighting for creating our country.We had no weapons to fight.That's why we needed Indian arms desperately.We didn't have money or time to buy arms and then fight.

But you can't compare Bangladesh of 1971 with Bangladesh of 2010.Bangladesh now spends billions of dollars every year for its defence.We can buy whatever we need.Now we are in no need of any donation of military weapon.

Besides our military doctrine has always been defensive.Defensive to prevent attack from its neighbours.That is India and Myanmar.Since there is and possibly will not be any change on the doctrine,I don't see Bangladesh buying any military hardware from India in near future.

And as I said before,relation will not improve overnight.It will take decades to become "Friendly" in real term.Provided correct steps are taken by both sides from now on.Now the situation is too volatile.

The opposition is threatening demonstration and what not.They are using their "Anti-India" card to win votes,and are with full energy.

People are confused and skeptic about the implementation of the treaties.We have seen in past,Indian Govt. not keeping its promises.

But once good result is visible,people will eventually ditch the ranting by the so called "nationalist" party.To me,they are nothing but stooges themselves.Who did nothing when they were in power,and now just barking to get vote.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
I agree LB sadly so India has lost you many a times as an ally I am Hoping and praying that its not the case this time round and besides i fail to understand why would India attack you

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well, our Bangladeshi brothers better be happy. This has panned out to their advantage in the end.

You are confusing things here sky.

First of all,in 1971,we were fighting for creating our country.We had no weapons to fight.That's why we needed Indian arms desperately.We didn't have money or time to buy arms and then fight.

But you can't compare Bangladesh of 1971 with Bangladesh of 2010.Bangladesh now spends billions of dollars every year for its defence.We can buy whatever we need.Now we are in no need of any donation of military weapon.

Besides our military doctrine has always been defensive.Defensive to prevent attack from its neighbours.That is India and Myanmar.Since there is and possibly will not be any change on the doctrine,I don't see Bangladesh buying any military hardware from India in near future.

And as I said before,relation will not improve overnight.It will take decades to become "Friendly" in real term.Provided correct steps are taken by both sides from now on.Now the situation is too volatile.

The opposition is threatening demonstration and what not.They are using their "Anti-India" card to win votes,and are with full energy.

People are confused and skeptic about the implementation of the treaties.We have seen in past,Indian Govt. not keeping its promises.

But once good result is visible,people will eventually ditch the ranting by the so called "nationalist" party.To me,they are nothing but stooges themselves.Who did nothing when they were in power,and now just barking to get vote.

Let me assure you, that what sky means is that, as your primary protagonist as your 'liberators', we expect some sort of 'gratitude' forthcoming from you.

Unfortunately, we have seen nothing but trouble from you and in our relationship. Illegal immigration from across your borders is a legitimate concern, particularly because we are very 'sensitive' to terrorism, having been bled and buried by it from Pakisthan for the last 60 years, and particularly because it fosters separatism. Ofcourse, the concerns of Bangladesh are equally valid- because we have been selfish in our relationship and have sought to exploit your markets and your resources wherever kept. But, it is now time to turn the corner. And you would do well to understand where your interests lay, for it is India that is on the rise as a future power, not Pakisthan, and it is with India that you share the vast majority of your history, culture and contiguous borders with.

Friendship and amity with India is the way forward for Bangladesh. As it is for India.

And I guarantee you that Bangladesh will be buying arms from India very soon. How much do you wanna bet?

leonblack08

Respected Member
Let me assure you, that what sky means is that, as your primary protagonist as your 'liberators', we expect some sort of 'gratitude' forthcoming from you.

Unfortunately, we have seen nothing but trouble from you and in our relationship. Illegal immigration from across your borders is a legitimate concern, particularly because we are very 'sensitive' to terrorism, having been bled and buried by it from Pakisthan for the last 60 years, and particularly because it fosters separatism. Ofcourse, the concerns of Bangladesh are equally valid- because we have been selfish in our relationship and have sought to exploit your markets and your resources wherever kept. But, it is now time to turn the corner. And you would do well to understand where your interests lay, for it is India that is on the rise as a future power, not Pakisthan, and it is with India that you share the vast majority of your history, culture and contiguous borders with.

Friendship and amity with India is the way forward for Bangladesh. As it is for India.

And I guarantee you that Bangladesh will be buying arms from India very soon. How much do you wanna bet?

I understand what Sky was saying.But it is also not right for India to expect gratitude from Bangladesh all the time,isn't it?

What I mean is,you can't bring up the issue all the time.Wasn't India also a gainer at the formation of Bangladesh,more importantly division of Pakistan?

And as for Indian troubles that we suffered,you forgot to mention about the funding and training provided by Indian Govt. to Shanti Bahini insurgents.We suffered a lot.

After farakka and all these,how do you expect Bangladeshi people to bow 24x7 to Indians with gratitude?

I can go on with a list of troubles,but we need to look ahead for peace.

I am not good at betting,but I know that we won't be buying from India.
It may be possible after 50 years from now or may be not.But no point talking about 50 years from now.

Sheikh Hasina won't risk buying from India and lose her power again.Last time the Migs gave her enough trouble.She bought those despite report from DGFI that these were downgraded and maintenance nightmare.

Besides the major purchases which are planned are frigates,submarines,tanks and SAMs.And according to report China as always ahead on the race.
Type-96 tanks have probably been ordered already.

And as for the treaties,I am not totally convinced how they will help Bangladesh.Especially the land transit issue.As it has security implication.Example,trucks won't necessarily be going to ports only.they can go to other places.But rail transit is fair,as it will be going to port only.
If I am not wrong India allowed us rail transit to Bhutan and Nepal only.

I would like to see some solid calculation from our Govt. that we will actually be benefited.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I understand what Sky was saying.But it is also not right for India to expect gratitude from Bangladesh all the time,isn't it?

What I mean is,you can't bring up the issue all the time.Wasn't India also a gainer at the formation of Bangladesh,more importantly division of Pakistan?

And as for Indian troubles that we suffered,you forgot to mention about the funding and training provided by Indian Govt. to Shanti Bahini insurgents.We suffered a lot.

After farakka and all these,how do you expect Bangladeshi people to bow 24x7 to Indians with gratitude?

I can go on with a list of troubles,but we need to look ahead for peace.

I am not good at betting,but I know that we won't be buying from India.
It may be possible after 50 years from now or may be not.But no point talking about 50 years from now.

Sheikh Hasina won't risk buying from India and lose her power again.Last time the Migs gave her enough trouble.She bought those despite report from DGFI that these were downgraded and maintenance nightmare.

Besides the major purchases which are planned are frigates,submarines,tanks and SAMs.And according to report China as always ahead on the race.
Type-96 tanks have probably been ordered already.

And as for the treaties,I am not totally convinced how they will help Bangladesh.Especially the land transit issue.As it has security implication.Example,trucks won't necessarily be going to ports only.they can go to other places.But rail transit is fair,as it will be going to port only.
If I am not wrong India allowed us rail transit to Bhutan and Nepal only.

I would like to see some solid calculation from our Govt. that we will actually be benefited.

Somehow I don't have the feeling you do, brother.

You owe your 'existence' to us. I think that demands a greater deal of gratitude than your actions would warrant.

Ofcourse, India stood to gain in 1971 by emancipating Bangladesh. But the truncation of Pakisthan's eastern flank was inevitable, simply because it was logistically unsustainable.

If India's support for Shanti-Bahini insurgents is your tit-for-tat answer to Bangladesh's (former) covert assistance to several rebel separatist groups operating in India's North-East, then I hasten to add that that consideration is very low. Bimal Chakama, spokesman for the rebels' group, has himself said that: "In the beginning we got some consideration, but it is very low compared with what we need." For the Shanti-Bahini obtains the vast majority of its weapons from raids on Bangladeshi military units and also picked up large caches of Chinese semi-automatic weapons during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war. And the rebels' have themselves stated: ''We are not separatists and we do not want armed intervention by India''.

See:

Bangladeshi Insurgents Say India Is Supporting Them
By SANJOY HAZARIKA, Special to The New York Times
Published: June 11, 1989

AGARTALA, India— For more than a decade, India has secretly provided arms and money to tribal insurgents fighting for an autonomous state in Bangladesh, rebels given sanctuary in this border area say.

A senior security official here confirmed the assistance and said an undetermined number of rebel fighters had stayed along the border near camps of Indian paramilitary forces.

''The Government is giving them help,'' the official added, without elaborating.

The rebels, who are mostly Buddhists, belong to the Chakma and other tribes in the Chittagong Hills of Bangladesh. They say they are being persecuted and pushed off their fertile land by an influx of ethnic Bengali Bangladeshis, who are overwhelmingly Muslim. Elections Are Planned

President H. M. Ershad of Bangladesh is planning to hold elections on June 25 to give some local autonomy to the Chittagong Hill Tracts, but the Shanti Bahini, the guerrilla organization fighting the Government, has called for a boycott of the vote and declared it will disrupt balloting.

A spokesman for the rebels said Indian officials began to provide arms and money in 1976, after the assassination in a military coup of Sheik Mujibur Rahman, Bangladesh's first President and a friend of India.

The spokesman, Bimal Chakma, said the Indian Government had not given as many weapons as were needed. ''At the beginning we got some consideration, but it is very low compared with what we need.''

The Shanti Bahini has an estimated 500 guerrillas. Over the years, the insurgents have increased their armory by capturing weapons through raids on Bangladesh military units. The rebels in the Chittagong Hill Tracts also picked up large caches of Chinese semi-automatic weapons during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war. Past Help for Pakistani Rebels

India also armed, trained and financed ethnic Bengali rebels seeking to break away from Pakistan, of which Bangladesh, then East Pakistan, was a part. The guerrilla attacks escalated into a war between India and Pakistan in 1971 after 10 million people fled military atrocities into India. Pakistani troops were routed and Bangladesh was created.

The Shanti Bahini, which means peace corps in the Bengali language, was formed in 1972 after a rejection of demands for autonomy, preferential treatment and an end to the Muslim influx. The Shanti Bahini says it has killed more than 500 members of the Bangladeshi military and the police as well as Muslim settlers.

''We are not separatists and we do not want armed intervention by India,'' said Mr. Chakma, the rebel spokesman. He said they wanted a stop to Muslim settlers, protection of the region's demographic character, free elections and extensive economic and political powers.

Sudhir Ranjan Majumdar, the Chief Minister or top elected official of Tripura state in northeast India, said the state did not ''harbor any Shanti Bahini, although their political wing is here.''

''We have a foreign mission here to consult with the Indian Government,'' a rebel official said. ''When there are bad combing operations by the Bangladesh army our fighters cross the border for security. They also come on leave from the campaigns.'' An Exodus to India

Since 1986, India has absorbed more than 51,000 refugee tribespeople, nearly 9,000 of them in the last two weeks, as they flee what is said to be military repression in the region. The refugees include supporters of the Shanti Bahini and leaders of the movement's political wing, the Jana Sanghata Samiti or People's Struggle Organization.

Bangladesh is the world's most densely populated region and one of its poorest. Since it was formed, Muslim settlers have been moving from other parts of the country to the lightly populated Chittagong Hill Tracts. The influx has changed the ethnic composition of the place and brought tension and clashes in its wake.

The current population of the Chittagong Hill Tracts is about one million, with nearly 600,000 tribespeople. The rest are Muslim settlers.

Bangladesh has stepped up a bitter army campaign against the Chakmas, sending them fleeing into India several times in the last 17 years. The 1986 exodus was the biggest. Rights Violations Reported

Amnesty International, the human rights organization, has reported serious violations of human rights in the Chittagong Hill Tracts by Bangladeshi military personnel, including rape, torture and indiscriminate shooting. Recent refugees say the assaults on women, capture of farmland by Muslim settlers and killing of Chakmas is continuing.

The weariness with fighting is showing and the Shanti Bahini held six rounds of talks over the last year with Bangladeshi officials. However, there has been little progress, Mr. Chakma said.

Map of India and Bangladesh indicating the Chittagong Hills. (NYT)
Bangladeshi Insurgents Say India Is Supporting Them - NYTimes.com

Ofcourse, the overriding consideration is that the Shanti-Bahini dismantled its military wing more than a decade ago - in June 1997, while Bangladesh's support for Indian militancy continued throughout the 2000's, up until very recently, with the election of the Sheikh Hasina government.

But our primary consideration is still illegal immigration - that saps economic opportunities and deprives land-use and employment opportunities from locals, and fosters militancy via ethno-cultural issues. We do not allow our own citizens to travel without special-permits to the North-east for a reason, do you think we would allow yours?

By one count, there are more than 10 million illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in India. If you are willing to attenuate the significance of the issue by implying some sort of 'land-entitlement' by Bangladeshis to India, then you should not bemoan the fact when we imply our entitlement to your resources.

We have been magnanimous in our withdrawal from the Tipaimukh dam, a dam that could truly have been an ecological disaster for Bangladesh, because we understand the need to work together. As for the Farrakha barrage, you may want to review the terms of the treaty, in essence, and in spirit. We may not have informed you about the construction of the Farrakah barrage in the mid 1970's, a mistake on our part, but we have complied with your annual cusec allotment since the signing of the 30-year 1996 Indo-Bangladesh water treaty.

In addition, they-India and Bangladesh- have agreed to the dredging of the Ichhamati rive and river protection at Mahananda, Karatoa, Nagar, Kulik, Atrai, Dharla, and Feni. The PM has also agreed to support implementation of the strategy of the Govt of Bangladesh to dredge rivers for flood control, navigation and access to ports. And India has also agreed to provide nine dredgers to Bangladesh on an urgent basis.

Apart from rail access to Nepal and Burma, India has agreed to operationalize land customs stations at Sabroom-Ramgarh and Demagiri-Thegamukh, with a view to future land-transit. It was agreed that trucks for movement from Bhutan and Nepal be allowed to enter about 200 meters into Zero Point at Banglabandh at Banglabandh-Phulbari land customs station. Necessary arrangements would be mutually agreed and put into place by both countries. Apart from that, India has agreed to construct road-infrastructure, to expedite trade with neighbouring countries and with India, in Dhakka, including flyovers; as well as a flyover across the Tin-Bigha corridoor in India, leased in perpetuity to Bangladesh, in exchange for India's continued right to access and sovereignty over, for exclusive Indian use.The two countries have also agreed that Ashuganj in Bangladesh and Silghat in India would be declared ports of call in the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade (IWTT).

The full excerpts of the agreement can be found here:

Dhaka, Delhi to address boundary rows, closer to transit | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

As for weapons sales, I guarantee you, yet again, that the next few years will see some major weapons' purchases from Bangladesh. The weapons' sales will progress incrementally, and in the first few years will be restricted to small arms and ordnance.

Bangladesh's single purchase of eight Mig-29's from Russia, in a deal mired by graft allegations and politicking between the Sheikh Hasina and Zia governments, is in no way reflective of weapons' sales from India. The same can be said about Myanmar, who rejected the JF-17's and the J-10's in favour of the Mig-29 because they bought a bunch of old Chinese attack jets A-5, much of which aren't in flying condition because of poor construction.

Bangladesh's immediate purchases may include submarines, frigates and MBRL's, but in the long-run- by 2010 - it aims to replace its A-5, FT-5 and F-7 fighter planes and induct atleast one aircraft for airborne early warning. The August 2009 report from the BAF certainly seems to think so:

Bangladesh Air Force seeks to purchase fighter trainer aircraft and simulators for fighter planes and helicopters

Monday, August 10, 2009

Bangladesh Air Force seeks to urgently purchase one squadron of fighter trainer aircraft and simulators for fighter planes and helicopters, and set up overhauling plants for the existing F-7 fighter planes and MI series helicopters. It has prepared long-term plans for other major defence purchases by 2021 and beyond to modernise the force, discloses a report of the air force. It also seeks either 10 percent increase in budgetary allocation or special allocation for the next 10 years to achieve the target.

The report, which describes the problems the air force is facing and suggests ways to overcome them, was placed before the parliamentary standing committee on defence ministry on July 14 for discussion. The Daily Star has obtained a copy of the report. The plans include purchasing of air defence radars and surface-to-air missile systems to protect important establishments of the force, replacement of A-5, FT-5 and F-7 fighter planes and induction of aircraft for airborne early warning, a system used for directing fighters to targets and counter attacks.

The air force also seeks to turn Cox's Bazar into an advanced base to increase the force's operational capability, approval of an organogram of the Kurmitola base, increase in healthcare facility for the force members and proper steps regarding their salaries and allowances. The air force suggested that the purchases be completed in phases by 2021. After 2021, it wants to begin purchasing aircraft in phases to form three air defence squadrons. An air force squadron typically consists of three or four air units, with a total of 12 to 24 aircraft, depending on the type of aircraft and the air force.

In defence of the plans, the report says Bangladesh needs a five-layer strong air defence system to protect its airspace from enemy air attacks. The mission of Bangladesh Air Force is: "To prepare, operate and maintain an air force capable of projecting air power in order to uphold and promote our national interest", as drafted in light of the responsibilities and duties assigned by the government.

"The air force is proceeding with the dream to build a digital air force keeping consistency with the honourable prime minister's vision," the report says. It says the budgetary allocation for the air force has been decreased in the last two financial years. The allocation was increased to 20.90 percent of the total defence budget in FY 2005-06 from 18.56 percent in 2004-05. In FY 2006-07, the air force was given 20.97 percent of the total defence budget. But the allocation was decreased to 15.57 percent in FY 2007-08 and 15.11 percent in FY 2008-09.

In the report, the air force has demanded either 25 percent of the total defence budget or a special allocation in the next 10 years. Most of the budgetary allocation is spent for maintenance, salaries and allowances, supplies and services and instalments of previous purchases. Only 4-6 percent of it is spent for major purchases, the report says.

In defence of purchasing new equipment, the report says it is facing tremendous difficulties in playing due role with the aged aircraft. The force has over 160 planes--fighter, transport and training aircraft--and helicopters, of which 70 percent are aged over 20 years and 18 percent inducted in the last 10 years, says the report.

It says the air force has planned to set up overhauling plants for the existing F-7 fighter planes and MI helicopters. If two plants are set up in the country, two to three F-7 aircraft and three to four MI choppers could be overhauled each year and will not require sending abroad.

The air force has so far overhauled Bell helicopters 65 times and PT-6 planes 76 times at its own maintenance unit. In the last two years, five fighter aircraft were overhauled in the country with the help of foreign consultants, the report says.
ASIAN DEFENCE: Bangladesh Air Force seeks to purchase fighter trainer aircraft and simulators for fighter planes and helicopters

These offer a good opportunity for Indo-Bangladeshi cooperation.

leonblack08

Respected Member
Somehow I don't have the feeling you do, brother.

You owe your 'existence' to us. I think that demands a greater deal of gratitude than your actions would warrant.

Ofcourse, India stood to gain in 1971 by emancipating Bangladesh. But the truncation of Pakisthan's eastern flank was inevitable, simply because it was logistically unsustainable.

If India's support for Shanti-Bahini insurgents is your tit-for-tat answer to Bangladesh's (former) covert assistance to several rebel separatist groups operating in India's North-East, then I hasten to add that that consideration is very low. Bimal Chakama, spokesman for the rebels' group, has himself said that: "In the beginning we got some consideration, but it is very low compared with what we need." For the Shanti-Bahini obtains the vast majority of its weapons from raids on Bangladeshi military units and also picked up large caches of Chinese semi-automatic weapons during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war. And the rebels' have themselves stated: ''We are not separatists and we do not want armed intervention by India''.

Initial training and arms supply was provided by India to Shanti-Bahini.Shanti Bahini had trainning camps in Tripura and other NE-Indian states.
In Myanmar,it is reported that some Shanti Bahini camps are still present.

The question is,why did India supply arms and training in first place?
In the 1974 accord,both the countries agreed that they will not support any activity against each other.
Why did India chose to break the code?

Don't you think it was wrong decision from an overly suspicious Govt. of Indira Gandhi?
You can't say she was trying to defend democracy in Bangladesh,because she herself was acting like a dictator in those days,by issuing emergency rule.

As for the insurgents words,who do you think taught them to ambush and carry on raids on the army personnel?Who else than India,provided them with arms?

Once they had arms,and they were able to carry on raids,their numbers slowly grew.And then these so called "Shanti (Peace) Bahini",used extortion,kidnapping,drug trafficking,smuggling and looting to finance their so called struggle.

The reason I am calling it so called ,because even after Peace Treaty being signed,some groups did not surrender arms and have continued their smuggling and extortion.
It was nothing but terrorism.

You are probably trying to say that India helped very less and stopped after a certain period.
But don't you realise,that Indian govt. lit the fire and then the Shanti bahini just kept on pouring fuel to keep it burning for more than 20 years.

We suffered for more than 20 years.

Add to that, the shortage of water supply in Bangladeshi rivers for Farakka and many other diversion projects above(upstream) Farakka.
Leaving very low volume for us.Though Indian secretaries argued with "Percentage of water" in the Joint River Commission meeting.They argued that Bangladesh was getting its due share of percentage of water leaving Farakka ,according to treaty.

However,the reality is very different.They are right about "percentage",but one must look that the water volume discharged from Farakka has also decreased significantly.That is because various water diversion project above Farakka are already withdrawing water from the rivers.

So this means Bangladesh getting lower volume of water.As a result a number of rivers have already dried and some on their way to death.

Let me remind you,that building of Dams for diverting water, on internationally flowing rivers are not legal.hence those Indians projects are not legal at first place.

I won't go to any other problems in detail.But this two should be enough,why our actions are not up to your expectation.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Initial training and arms supply was provided by India to Shanti-Bahini.Shanti Bahini had trainning camps in Tripura and other NE-Indian states.
In Myanmar,it is reported that some Shanti Bahini camps are still present.

The question is,why did India supply arms and training in first place?
In the 1974 accord,both the countries agreed that they will not support any activity against each other.
Why did India chose to break the code?

Don't you think it was wrong decision from an overly suspicious Govt. of Indira Gandhi?
You can't say she was trying to defend democracy in Bangladesh,because she herself was acting like a dictator in those days,by issuing emergency rule.

As for the insurgents words,who do you think taught them to ambush and carry on raids on the army personnel?Who else than India,provided them with arms?

Once they had arms,and they were able to carry on raids,their numbers slowly grew.And then these so called "Shanti (Peace) Bahini",used extortion,kidnapping,drug trafficking,smuggling and looting to finance their so called struggle.

The reason I am calling it so called ,because even after Peace Treaty being signed,some groups did not surrender arms and have continued their smuggling and extortion.
It was nothing but terrorism.

You are probably trying to say that India helped very less and stopped after a certain period.
But don't you realise,that Indian govt. lit the fire and then the Shanti bahini just kept on pouring fuel to keep it burning for more than 20 years.

We suffered for more than 20 years.

Add to that, the shortage of water supply in Bangladeshi rivers for Farakka and many other diversion projects above(upstream) Farakka.
Leaving very low volume for us.Though Indian secretaries argued with "Percentage of water" in the Joint River Commission meeting.They argued that Bangladesh was getting its due share of percentage of water leaving Farakka ,according to treaty.

However,the reality is very different.They are right about "percentage",but one must look that the water volume discharged from Farakka has also decreased significantly.That is because various water diversion project above Farakka are already withdrawing water from the rivers.

So this means Bangladesh getting lower volume of water.As a result a number of rivers have already dried and some on their way to death.

Let me remind you,that building of Dams for diverting water, on internationally flowing rivers are not legal.hence those Indians projects are not legal at first place.

Why did India support the Shanti Bahini? The question merits an introspection.

The tribal peoples of the CHT had been associated with political activities since the second decade of the twentieth century. Firstly, an association called Chakma Jubak Samiti was formed in 1915 under the leadership of Rajmohan Dewan. Chakma Jubak Sangha headed by Ghanashyaam Dewaan was founded in 1919. In 1920, Kamini Mohan Dewan established Parbatya Chattagram Jana-Samiti which conducted various social, cultural and economic activities for about two decades. In 1939, Jamini Ranjan Dewan and Snehakumar Chakma were appointed president and general secretary of this organisation respectively, and it was at this stage that Jana-Samiti started its political activities. In 1947, just before the partition of India Jana-Samiti attempted to get the CHT allied to India.

During the Pakistani regime an organisation called Hill Students' Association was established in 1956 to deal with the demands of the CHT students. In December 1966, Parbatya Chattagram Upajatiya Kalyan Samiti was established under the leadership of Ananta Bihari Khisa and J. B Larma. With the support of this Samiti Manabendra Narayan larma contested the general elections of 1970 as an independent candidate and was elected a member of the Provincial Assembly.

After the emergence of Bangladesh a CHT delegation led by Charu Bikash Chakma met Prime Minister Mujibur Rahman on 29 January 1972 and placed a number of demands. But they did not succeed in getting those demands fulfilled. On 24 April 1972, Manabendra Narayan Larma presented his four-point manifesto including the demand for autonomy of the CHT to the committee engaged in drafting the constitution of Bangladesh. The four demands were: (i) granting autonomy of the Chittagong Hill Tracts and setting up its own Legislative Assembly; (ii) inclusion of statute similar to the Regulation of 1900 in the Constitution; (iii) retention of the offices of the tribal kings; and (iv) imposition of constitutional restrictions on making amendments to the Regulations of 1900 and the prohibition of settlement of Bangalis in the CHT.

As this four-point manifesto was also rejected by the government, it gave rise to resentment among the hill people and the concepts of Jumma nationalism and Jummaland took its genesis. With the aim of securing the rights of the hill peoples Parbatya Chattagram Jana-Samhati Samiti was founded on 15 February 1973 under the leadership of Manabendra Narayan Larma. The aims and objectives of Parbatya Chattagram Jana-Samhati Samiti were: humanism, nationalism and democracy, and establishing the rights of autonomy of the small tribes such as the Chakma, Marma, Tripura, Bohm, Pangkho, Murang, Khumi, Chak, Khiang and Lushei. The associate organisations of the Samiti were the militant wing of Shanti Bahini, Gram Panchayet, Juba Samiti and Mahila Samiti.

In the Constitution of Bangladesh adopted in 1972 no mention was made of the Chittagong Hill Tracts Regulation of 1900 which the indigenous tribal peoples used to consider their magna-carta. Moreover, instead of recognising their distinctive tribal identity the entire population was defined as "Bengalis". This unilateral and ill-considered state decision made the hill people doubtful of their independent existence and autonomy. Considering that it would not be possible to have their demands satisfied in a peaceful and democratic way, the Shanti Bahini, the armed wing of Jana-Samhati Samiti was formed.

After the fall of the Mujib government on 15 August 1975 Manabendra Larma moved to India secretly. India's "support" for the Shanti-Bahini was latent since independence, by virtue of the face that the Jana-Samiti considered secession to India. However, it was not until this point: Manabehndra's fleeing, that "active", albeit marginal, Indian support for the Shanti-Bahini started. Moreover, as succesive analysts and the spokesman for the Jana-Samiti have themselves attested, the vast majority of the J-S's logistics and weapons were procured from raids on Bangladeshi military units as well as large caches of Chinese semi-automatic weapons during the India-Pakisthanie war. Although Shanti Bahini was formed in 1973, it did not start any military activities during the early period of Bangladesh. It started its military operations in the Hill Tracts from 1976. Like many other guerrilla organisations Jana-Samhati Samiti developed a complete political framework.

Instead of satisfying the basic demands of Jana-Samhati Samiti the military government of Ziaur Rahman marked the CHT crisis as an 'economic problem'. In order to address these problems Chittagong Hill Tracts Development Board was set up in January 1976. But this did not gain any acceptance from the hill people. A Tribal Cultural Institute was established in 1977. Chakma king's mother Binata Roy and later Ang Shu Pru Chowdhury and Subimal Dewan were appointed 'Tribal Affairs Advisors' to the President with a view to resolving problems through discussions with the rebels. But they failed to gain acceptance from the CHT people as substitutes for Jana-Samhati Samiti.

Between 1986 and 1989 alone, more than 51,000 refugee tribespeople, nearly 9,000 of them in the last weeks of mid-June 1989, have had to flee what they call "military repression" in the region- which India has had to absorb. As more Bangladeshi migrants, overwhelmingly muslim, have made their way down to the Chittagong Hill Tracts from other more populous regions of the country, the mass exodus has distorted the ethnic composition of the place and threatened indigenous lifestyles and communities, leaving ethnic tensions and clashes in its wake. Therefore, India has had security considerations in the issue too, perhaps explaining why India supported the rebels in an attempt to stop the migratory dynamic that has led to vast demographic upheavals in the area, despite making successive calls to achieve a political settlement. The same has happened with Bangladeshi migrants in India, who have threatened indigenous cultures and lifestyles, leading to a backlash and ethnic disgruntlement.

Ideological conflicts split Shanti Bahini into two parts on 24 October 1982. Manabendra Narayan Larma was killed by the rival group on 10 November 1983 and his brother Jyotirindra Bodhipriya Larma (Santu Larma) assumed leadership. Since his succession however, things largely took a different turn since he had a mind of his own. In April 1985, 236 members of the Priti Group surrendered to government, which rendered this group non-existent. However, Priti Kumar Chakma kept himself from surrendering.

It is also prudent to note that it was the India-"friendly" Sheikh Hasina government and the Awami League that actually put an end to the conflict in 1997. An 11-member National Committee on Chittagong Hill Tracts Affairs was instituted on 14 October 1996, with a view to putting a permanent end to the CHT's problems. With the demands of the Jana-Samhati Samiti and the government's positive attitude towards the rightful demands of the hill people and the eagerness of the Jana-Samhati Samiti for avoiding the path of armed conflict on the one hand and finding a political solution on the other, created a congenial backdrop for establishing peace in Chittagong Hill Tracts. On 17 September 1997, both sides reached a consensus on signing a peace treaty. The unstable situation in the CHT came to a close with the signing of the Chittagong Hill Tracts peace accord between the Bangladesh government and Jana-Samhati Samiti on 2 December 1997. After the signing of the peace treaty Jana-Samhati Samiti emerged as a mainstream political party.

As for the Indian government "lighting the fire in the first place", let me assure you that you are wrong. The Jana-Samiti existed de-facto prior to the existence of Bangladesh, even before independence, and only assumed its military form after the four-point charter was rejected by the government of Bangladesh, contributing to a latent sense of animosity among the people and the need to create a military wing with the aim of securing the rights of the hill-tract people. India had nothing to do with this early internal- Bangladeshi political dynamic, and as evidenced, the Shanti-Bahini secured much of their early arms from caches left behind by fleeing Pakisthani forces and from Chinese caches.

With respect to the Farrakha barrage, let me assure you that at no point has the Farrakah barrage been "illegal", although it has been unfair.

The 1977 Water-Sharing Agreement between India and the Zia Government envisaged the following;

1. Sharing period would be from 01 January to 31 May divided into 15 slots each having 10 days.
2. Sharing was on the basis of 75% dependable flow at Farakka between 1948 to 1973.
3. Sharing proportion of Bangladesh and India was 60:40 respectively with a minimum flow of 34,500 for Bangladesh and 20,500 cusec for India. In case of decrease in flow at Farakka under extreme situation. Bangladesh was guaranteed with 80% of its share during each of the slots.
4. Regional co-operation for augmenting the flow at Farakka was agreed upon and the augmented flow would be shared proportionately.

During the period from 1978 to 82, the tenure of the five year agreement, Bangladesh received more than its share for all the years excepting one when the flow at Farakka fall unexpectedly but India released the guaranteed minimum flow.

The 1977 agreement expired in 1982, but was replaced by an MOU signed by the then military ruler Gen.Ershad, that compromised Bangladesh's interest by excluding the guarantor clause, but extended the arrangement through 1985, and then again through 1988 through a similar extension. The agreement was imbalanced and unfair, and many analysts and readers in India actually opposed it, but was signed by your government- a military government nevertheless, that prolonged the arrangement.

No agreement has existed from 1989 to 1996, the only years the barrage could be construed as "illegal". However, the United Nations convention on equitable utilization in Article 5 of its United Nations Convention on the Non-Navigational Uses of International Watercourses, came into effect only in 1997. The Assembly approved the UN Convention on May 21, 1997, by a vote of 104–3, requiring watercourse nations to utilize an international watercourse in an equitable and reasonable manner with a view to attaining optimal and sustainable utilization and benefits consistent with adequate protection in the watercourse. The reading was confirmed by the International Court of Justice in its ruling on the Danube River Case (Hungary v. Slovakia) in 1997.

Therefore, at no point in that intervening period was the Indian barrage "illegal", although yes we do admit it was grossly unfair and inequitable.

The 1997 Water-Sharing agreement, signed with the Sheikh Hasina government, envisaged a minimum guaranteed flow of 27000 cusecs, with proportion-sharing between Bangladesh and India at 45:55, and in some cases- the dry season- 30:70. When cumulative flow falls below 50,000 cusec no sharing principle will exist, and Bangladesh and India will immediately sit to decide equitable sharing. The agreement has actually sought an improvement over the 1977 agreement, as the following tables of average water sharing under the 1977 and 1996 agreements, demonstrate:

I won't go to any other problems in detail.But this two should be enough,why our actions are not up to your expectation.
You had better not, because if I did the same, we'd all be here till Christmas.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles