India votes against Sri Lanka at UNHRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Some years ago, I was in Sri Lankan capital Colombo. On learning that my home state happens to be Odisha despite my Delhi-upbringing, all of a sudden, the general manager of the hotel where I was staying upgraded my booking to an executive-suite and extended me further facilities. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that many Sri Lankans consider themselves to be the decedents of King Vijay, who had gone from Odisha to found the kingdom of modern Sri Lanka. In fact, most of the Buddhists in Sri Lanka (and the Sinhalese), who constitute the country's majority, have their origins in Odisha, Bihar and Bengal.

I am underscoring my experience in Colombo to make the point that majority Sinhalese are as proud of their Indian ancestry as the Sri Lankan Tamils are. What they resent is that when the question of Sri Lanka is discussed in India, only the Tamil –factor is taken into account. It is a fact that India's policy towards Sri Lanka has been disproportionately influenced by the Tamil Nadu factor. Both the DMK and AIADMK often compete with each other in pressuring the central government in Delhi to take a policy that promotes the interests of the Sri Lankan Tamils but often resented by the Sinhalese as biased and "interference" in their internal affairs.

Does the pressure from Tamil Nadu really help in the resolution of the knotty ethnic issue in Sri Lanka? Does it help the Sri Lankan Tamils and redress their legitimate grievances? I would love to be recommended to read a comprehensive and dispassionate study that deals with these two questions. But I have another question. Are the parties in Tamil Nadu genuinely concerned about the plights of the Sri Lankan Tamils? I hope they do not shed crocodile's tears, the same way our "secularists" bit their chests over "the poverty of and injustice to" Indian Muslims. The Hindu , Tamil Nadu's greatest national daily, commented editorially the other day, "As for the 'feelings' of the political parties in Tamil Nadu, it should be clear by now that for them, the Sri Lankan Tamil issue is an opportunity for cynical one-upmanship, and nothing more. There was no clearer evidence of this than at the time of the UPA victory in 2009, which coincided with the last stand of the LTTE. After creating a furore over the war in Sri Lanka during the elections, the DMK's only concern after the results was how many and which cabinet positions the party would get in the new government".

But then, such is the state of affairs of the Manmohan Singh government these days that it has virtually succumbed to the pressure from Tamil Nadu and decided to support, at the ongoing 19th Session of the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva on the issue of reconciliation and accountability in Sri Lanka, the U.S.-sponsored resolution that urges Sri Lanka to address rights violations alleged against its army in the final phase of the war against the LTTE in 2009. On March 19, Prime Minister Singh has virtually vetoed his own foreign minister S M Krishna who on March 14 had assured the Parliament that India would consider all dimensions of the issue before taking a final decision on the voting-issue. The Prime Minister said that India was 'inclined' to vote for the US sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka. And what is most surprising is that the Prime Minister said this even without knowing what exactly was the content of the US resolution, because, as Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai told the press on March 21, "At this point in time, we do not have the final text of the resolution".

In my humble opinion, external affairs minister Krishna had given a balanced statement to the Parliament on March 14. Let me quote extensively form that statement : " The end of the long period of armed conflict in Sri Lanka in May 2009, left around 3,00,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) living in camps in Northern Sri Lanka and general devastation of infrastructure in the affected areas. Since the end of conflict in Sri Lanka, the focus of Government of India has been on the welfare and well being of the Tamils citizens of Sri Lanka. Their resettlement and rehabilitation have been of the highest and most immediate priority for the Government. The Prime Minister, in June 2009 immediately after the conflict announced a grant of Rs. 500 crores for relief, rehabilitation and resettlement work in Sri Lanka.

"I would like to underline that it is mainly as a result of our constructive engagement with the Government of Sri Lanka and our considerable assistance programme that a modicum of normalcy is beginning to return to the Tamil areas in Sri Lanka. There has also been progress given the withdrawal of emergency regulations by the Government of Sri Lanka and the conduct of elections to local bodies in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka"¦..

"Several Hon'ble Members of the House have raised the issue of alleged human rights violations during the protracted conflict in Sri Lanka and on the US-initiated draft resolution on 'Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka' at the ongoing 19th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva. Concerns have been expressed by various quarters on allegations of human rights violations, including as shown in the Channel 4 documentaries"¦ We understand that the Government of Sri Lanka has initiated a series of measures, including appointment of a Cabinet Sub-committee to monitor implementation of the proposals in the National Human Rights Action Plan (NHRAP) and reactivating the National Police Commission, in line with the recommendations of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report. Separately, the Sri Lankan defence authorities are reported to have appointed a Court of Inquiry to look into allegations of human rights violations as required by the LLRC report"¦..

"The Government of India has, nonetheless, emphasised to the Government of Sri Lanka the importance of a genuine process of reconciliation to address the grievances of the Tamil community. In this connection, we have called for implementation of the recommendations in the Report of the LLRC that has been tabled before the Sri Lankan Parliament. These include various constructive measures for healing the wounds of the conflict and fostering a process of lasting peace and reconciliation in Sri Lanka. We have been assured by the Government of Sri Lanka, including during my visit to Sri Lanka in January this year, of its commitment towards pursuit of a political process, through a broader dialogue with all parties, including the Tamil National Alliance, leading to the full implementation of the 13th Amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution, so as to achieve meaningful devolution of powers and genuine national reconciliation. We hope that the Government of Sri Lanka recognising the critical importance of this issue acts decisively and with vision in this regard. We will remain engaged with them through this process and in the spirit of partnership encourage them to take forward the dialogue with the elected representatives of the Sri Lankan Tamils. Hon'ble Members may be aware that the Sri Lankan authorities had said they would be happy to receive an all party delegation of Members of both Houses of our Parliament. We are working to undertake such a visit at the earliest"¦...

"Several Members have raised the issue of a draft resolution initiated by USA at the ongoing 19th Session of the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva on the issue of reconciliation and accountability in Sri Lanka. I would like to highlight here that on such sensitive issues we will need to consider the implications of our actions carefully. Any assertions on our part may have implications on our historically friendly relations with a neighbouring country. We would also need to examine whether our actions will actually assist in the process of reconciliation in Sri Lanka, and enhance the current dialogue between the Government of Sri Lanka and Tamil parties, including the Tamil National Alliance".

Against this background, has the Prime Minister taken into account the implications of his statement on Sri Lanka? All told, his government is trying badly repair the damage caused by its folly in Maldives, where the Islamic fundamentalists, thanks to Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, have made viral inroads. Are we prepared to commit another blunder in Sri Lanka? What will happen if we support the American resolution, but China, which has been systematically Colombo over the years, votes against it? Besides, what moral authority has the United States on matters of human rights when it closes its eyes on their systematic violations in its allied countries, ranging from China to Saudi Arabia? Finally, how is it that India is going to change its traditional position of not supporting any country-specific resolutions at the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva? Has India forgotten its own experience when at the same venue Pakistan was trying to embarrass us over Kashmir? Are we not, thus, creating a precedent by supporting the US in this case relating to Sri Lanka for our enemies to intervene in our affairs?

These are all disturbing questions, affecting vitally our national security.

IndianDefenceReview

KS

Bye bye DFI
India will never be a big power for precisely this reason. We may have a big stick but lack of balls negates that.

Is China worrying that India will "fill the space" in South East Asia because of its aggression and hegemonic designs..? No. It gives two hoots and brandishes its stick for all to see and understand who is the boss in that region. They will be a big power, because they have the heart for it.

India --> just scratch the back and grovel for friendship with un equals.

A chance is there to stamp the authority who runs the show here...but as usual we dither.

Oracle

India will never be a big power for precisely this reason. We may have a big stick but lack of balls negates that.

Is China worrying that India will "fill the space" in South East Asia because of its aggression and hegemonic designs..? No. It gives two hoots and brandishes its stick for all to see and understand who is the boss in that region. They will be a big power, because they have the heart for it.

India --> just scratch the back and grovel for friendship with un equals.

A chance is there to stamp the authority who runs the show here...but as usual we dither.
Please read this China takes over Nepal

India's vote at UN against Sri Lanka will not go down well with the tiny but strategically placed country. It was a stupid, stupid move to vote against SLanka.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
SL was trying to play China card with us too long. I fully support this decision. People have forgotten that SL have bombed many hindu temples too which our secular media doesn't say. If we keep appeasing our neighbours we won't get any respect.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India's vote at UN against Sri Lanka will not go down well with the tiny but strategically placed country. It was a stupid, stupid move to vote against SLanka.
And we should care exactly why ?

Do Chinese care what the Vietnamese think when claiming Spratleys or Malaysians think by claiming waters right upto their sea shore. or Russia gives two hoots to Ukraine's tantrums before blocking off the oil supply ?

New Delhi lacks balls to enforce its writ in its legitimate backyard and all the friendship, non-interference bla bla are ways to hide the impotency.

I know i'm trying in vain..but its time to demand respect rather than grovel for it.

Last edited:

Oracle

And we should care exactly why ?

Do Chinese care what the Vietnamese think when claiming Spratleys or Malaysians thing by claiming waters right upto their sea shore. or Russia gives two hoots to Ukraine's tantrums before blocking off the oil supply ?

New Delhi lacks balls to enforce its writ in its legitimate backyard and all the friendship, non-interference bla bla are ways to hide the impotency.
Because you are an Indian, atleast your flag indicates that.

If anyone feels so much so for their ethnicity, they have every right to go to Sri Lanka and help their supposed mates there.

KS

Bye bye DFI

If anyone feels so much so for their ethnicity, they have every right to go to Sri Lanka and help their supposed mates there.
We as in Indian..:facepalm:

Talk about lack of comprehension and a regionalistic mindset. Now read the post along with the analogies of China and Russia, S L O W L Y and then hit the reply button.

Oracle

We as in Indian..:facepalm:

Talk about lack of comprehension.
Don't twist words when you have nothing to debate. You wrote 'And we should care exactly why ?' You very well meant Tamils as we. No one other than a few fringe elements from TN is making a mockery in the Sri Lanksn issue.

HeinzGud

Country flag
SL was trying to play China card with us too long. I fully support this decision. People have forgotten that SL have bombed many hindu temples too which our secular media doesn't say. If we keep appeasing our neighbours we won't get any respect.
Son please say one place that was destroyed by Sinhalese army!

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag

But generally Sri Lankan response to the passed resolution is mainly against USA but still the Indian issue comes up here and there... but SLG's foreign policy won't change.... at least until UPA in power!

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

If you think SL hates tamil and love rest of the India you are deluding yourself. Most of the SL are anti-Indians.
If India can't deal with a country whose economy is 1/40 th of ours, frankly its time to shut down our army.

PS: I am not tamil. But have first hand experience of SL hate towards India through various forum.

Oracle

If you think SL hates tamil and love rest of the India you are deluding yourself. Most of the SL are anti-Indians.
The bold part - I did not assume that, nor did I mention that. Don't pull out rabbits from your hat.

If India can't deal with a country whose economy is 1/40 th of ours, frankly its time to shut down our army.

PS: I am not tamil. But have first hand experience of SL hate towards India through various forum.
Through various forums, right. I have a first hand experience in dealing with them face to face, some were my flat-mates in London.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Don't twist words when you have nothing to debate. You wrote 'And we should care exactly why ?' You very well meant Tamils as we. No one other a few fringe elements from TN is making a mockery in the Sri Lanksn issue.
Dont be such a thick tool.

I meant we, as in India, should not care what it puny neighbours think about us and enforce our writ like China or Russia do in their respective neighbourhoods.

:facepalm:

As I said dont let prejudice and hate cloud your judgement and ready S L O W L Y.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Son please say one place that was destroyed by Sinhalese army!
Kiddo you wanted the places, here it is.

"The Lingam in the Kanguveali Sivan temple in Moothoor in Trincomalee district had been demolished while Verukal Paala Murukan temple and Verukal Kalladi village Neeliyamman temple have been destroyed and Buddhist viharas are being constructed in their places," the MP said.
TamilNet: 17.08.10 Traditional Hindu temples in East destroyed, replaced with Buddhist Viharas: MP

BTW this is the general SInhalization that is going on in the Northern Tamil areas.

Exclusive: Erasing the cultural leftover of Tamils to convert Sri Lanka into Sinhala country | Causes | Colombo

And more :

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle

Dont be such a thick tool.
Is this the best you got? Unnecessary name calling and ad-hominems when you got no point left to argue.

I meant India should not care about what it puny neighbours think about it and enforce its writ like China or Russia do in their respective neighbourhoods.

:facepalm:
India should in no way be compared to China or to Russia. Look at the way the world identifies them. We are a great democracy compelled by coalition politics for regionalistic farces.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Is this the best you got? Unnecessary name calling and ad-hominems when you got no point left to argue.
A vain hope that atleast that would prod the grey matter to think. You started with a judgement based on your prejudice and dont whine when responded.

India should in no way be compared to China or to Russia. Look at the way the world identifies them. We are a great democracy compelled by coalition politics for regionalistic farces.
The world may not respect them but they certainly do fear them and that is far more useful. Fear trumps respect.

Great democracy my foot when lacking guts to show who runs the show in South Asia. Instead we, the great democracy, can only whine ,..O look china does this, O look Pakistan does that instead of taking the bull by the horns hiding behinfd all sorts of excuses.

Grow balls and develop a deep sea port in Vietnam...the like of what China is doing here in our neighborhood and then see if China comes here.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This govt apparently is a ship without a rudder - drifting where the tide takes it.

Everywhere we are on the defensive.

Now China is upping the ante, and I believe, have done some incursions.

Nepal is giving China leeway to build a large 'land port'.

Sri Lanka has been given arms by China to massacre the Tamils when the SL govt renegaded about the No Fire Zone, in a cowardly way contravening international protocol.

Bangladesh is not too happy with India.

Bhutan has not allowed India to make the road to Tawang because of the Chinese.

Maldives has been left high and dry and a fundamentalist Govt has been allowed to take hold of it!

Pakistan is always a 'great friend' of India.

So, with all our 'greatness', India is like a cornered cat.

What should be done?

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
^^ India is like a cornered cat because it behaves as one.

You can't hang Ajmal kasab and Afjal guru who maim your citizen in your country and you want rest of the World to respect you.
India will have to take hard decisions to become great nation.

Not become a vote-bank politics and minority appeasing nation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
^^ India is like a cornered cat because it behaves as one.

You can't hang Ajmal kasab and Afjal guru who maim your citizen in your country and you want rest of the World to respect you.
India will have to take hard decisions to become great nation.

Not become a vote-bank politics and minority appeasing nation.
How can we break loose from this complex of being impotent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles