India, Vietnam Relations

Suryakiran

It is already a well known thing. Is there anything new added to the already existing reasons?

JAISWAL

http://deccanchronicle.com/channels/nation/north/india-eyes-south-china-sea-pearl-772
India has taken the first tentative steps towards establishing a "sustainable maritime presence" in the South China Sea, not far from the Chinese mainland. With Indo-Vietnamese naval cooperation set to strengthen in the days to come, Vietnam has allowed Indian naval warships to drop anchor at its Nha Trang port in southern Vietnam during
naval goodwill visits, well-placed government sources have confirmed.

Sources said the Indian Navy was perhaps the only foreign Navy in recent times to have been given this privilege by the Vietnamese at a port other than Halong Bay, near Hanoi. "The move will give India the key to a sustainable presence in the South China Sea," said a government source. This will enable India to play a bigger role in the strategic Southeast Asian region which overlooks key shipping lines.
India, too, is set to offer naval facilities for training and capacity-building to Vietnam. The Commander-in-Chief of the Vietnam People's Navy, Vice-Admiral and deputy minister Nguyen Van Hien, is scheduled to visit New Delhi, Mumbai and Visakhapatnam during his visit starting Monday to witness Indian naval capabilities. "India could also offer its experience in ship-building to Vietnam, which currently has a small Navy," said a government source.
China will no doubt be closely monitoring the Indo-Vietnamese naval cooperation. Both India and Vietnam are wary of growing Chinese military capabilities. Both countries have been victims of Chinese military aggression in the past. Vietnam, which fought a border war with China in 1979, has also been at the receiving end of Chinese naval military domination in the region. China and Vietnam have maritime disputes over the oil-rich Spratly and Paracel islands in the South China Sea.
But, predictably, Indian government sources caution that the Indo-Vietnamese defence relationship should not be seen to be aimed at China. "Vietnam is opening itself to the world. It is not looking to challenge China but merely seeking to enhance its own economic and defence capabilities in view of the ground realities," pointed out a government source. Vietnam is part of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations which is seeking to engage China on a host of issues.
As defence analyst and National Maritime Foundation director Commodore C. Uday Bhaskar (Retd) puts it, "India would like to keep the issue of maintaining a maritime presence in the South China Sea as a potential option. Every major power would like to have the ability, if required, to maintain a credible maritime presence in two of the three navigable oceans of the world." Pointing out that "in all of Asia Vietnam has the most distinctive strategic pedigree and profile", Cdre Bhaskar added, "Clearly, Vietnam has a very deep anxiety about China which is manifested in the South China Sea disputes." While cautioning that Indo-Vietnamese defence cooperation should not be seen as a tit-for-tat strategy in reaction to the Sino-Pakistan relationship, Cdre Bhaskar nevertheless avers that the Indo-Vietnamese naval cooperation will bestow a sense of "equipoise" in Southeast Asia.
While India does not want its defence cooperation with Vietnam to be seen as a counter-strategy in view of the increasing Chinese footprint in the Indian Ocean, the fact remains that China has been ringing India with its "String of Pearls" strategy by engaging in maritime cooperation with Burma, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. The Chinese strategy encompasses both development of ports and full-fledged naval cooperation, depending on its equations with the host country. India, too, is stepping up its defence capabilities at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, located close to Southeast Asia.
Link-- http://deccanchronicle.com/channels/nation/north/india-eyes-south-china-sea-pearl-772

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
ahem Ahem , I remember somebody talking about Indian Navy expanding to SCS !!

JAISWAL

now its time to introduce china to its own sore medicine in its own back-yard.
Bravo, bravo,
atlast India is raising from deep somber sleep.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
just to give idea as to where this Nha Trang port is

this gives something for China to think about.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
now its time to introduce china to its own sore medicine in its own back-yard.
Bravo, bravo,
atlast India is raising from deep somber sleep.
may be start of Indian ring of pearls, we should called it 'ring of tiger fire'

badguy2000

Respected Member
hahaha .......I don't know why some indians alway make big fuss for some little trivials.........

as I state again and again, one unindustrialized india can not be a serious challenger to China.....

niharjhatn

Something that should have been attempted a decade ago - i.e. improving relations with other asian nations, has at last begun in the last couple of years.

Let the snowball roll!!

niharjhatn

hahaha .......I don't know why some indians alway make big fuss for some little trivials.........

as I state again and again, one unindustrialized india can not be a serious challenger to China.....
Haha, yet the presence of Chinese posters and actions of the CCP speak otherwise!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

then you wont mind us doing this.

JAISWAL

Naaaaah,
yet your reply and its under tone highlighted that this sudden news has some what created an un-easyness in cpc and its paid millitia.

ejazr

Ambassador
This is an excellent move. India should be improving its naval relations and interoperability with all ASEAN countries like Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and of course Vietnam as well.

Look forward to naval academy exchanges and joint exercises as well. :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's good to have good economic and military relations with south east Asian countries. Vietnam is at a strategic location and it will be in Indian interest to help that nation secure it's interests in that oil rich region. Finally Indian diplomacy has woken up to the need to engage that nation.

I am sure this cannot be seen as a military encirclement of China by India as India just does not have resources to do so, just like China does not to enter IOR.

I am sure in the future when we are even more powerful economically and militarily, what we sow in out relationship with them will come in handy.

Adux

Country flag
Guess who has a secret base in Hanoi over looking Hainan, the way things are going, its two contendors, India or US

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Guess who has a secret base in Hanoi over looking Hainan, the way things are going, its two contendors, India or US
Let the US have the base and make the Chinese jittery. We can independently improve our ties with Nam. We should also take this opportunity to see if we can also sell them defense equipment. We have enough that could interest them.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
it comes across very well thought out, planned and execution too looks good. americans were always interested in having india play a significant role in south east asia and the asean member states along with others in the region too have been keen on india join them.

its more by invitation we are there and not forcing our way in, speaks well for a lot of good work done by the diplomats.

i hope the ccp too thinks the same. cheers!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles