India to set up gas line to Pakistan

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray Sir please then we must change the topic and I will also jump in....
Have a gas!

Idiom: Having a gas - If you're having a gas, you are having a laugh and enjoying yourself in company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

You can still make Pakistan reject it.

Return to Pakistan as a Neo Mullah Qadri, the Toronto-area Mullah who catapulted onto Pakistan's Political stage.
I would if I could but then again, I am not incharge.

IIRC, one of India's objecrions to IPI was the transit fee, too high for India. Why should we import LNG from India when we can get it much cheaper from Qatar with much lesser political risks?

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
If the rumors are true and India is charging $21/btu I think its a no.go. Qatar is offerring $18 FOB and transportation or storage is not a problem.

If I were incharge, I.would reject it.
I believe this project would hav ebeen initiated keeping cost aspect and sales in mind...If t true then also you are in great need of fuel ... So you will hav eto buy it... If you could have imorted it from Qatar you would have been already doing it....
If you were incharge IF...Same way I woud have not even proposed this...

Pulkit

Country flag
Have a gas!

Idiom: Having a gas - If you're having a gas, you are having a laugh and enjoying yourself in company.
Having a GAS :lol:
Here we have gas so neighbours should be happy that they might get it usually they are running away....

thethinker

Country flag
STFU and stop trolling.
Facts not convenient to you isn't trolling.

You still didn't reply - isn't Mr.Saeed an idiot too if he makes the statements mentioned before?

Not that I would expect an answer to that.

Pulkit

Country flag
I would if I could but then again, I am not incharge.

IIRC, one of India's objecrions to IPI was the transit fee, too high for India. Why should we import LNG from India when we can get it much cheaper from Qatar with much lesser political risks?
Firstly no on eis stopping you from importing you can do that surely its your right....

IPI was in a issue due to sanctions and security aspects and pakistan couldnt arrange funds to set up pipeline in there region...

In the new proposal with Afghan Involved the transit proosed is still almost the same.... whereas now we will be paying it to two countries....

Neo

I believe this project would hav ebeen initiated keeping cost aspect and sales in mind...If t true then also you are in great need of fuel ... So you will hav eto buy it... If you could have imorted it from Qatar you would have been already doing it....
If you were incharge IF...Same way I woud have not even proposed this...
We are at advanced stage of cutting a dreal with Qatar. The delay was caused by US' reluctance to strike a deal with GoP: US is a major share holder in Qatar gasfields and has the authority to sell Qatar-American gas for as less as $12/btu!!!
Our request was turned down despite the fact that US is opposing IP.

Ues we are in dire need of importingoil and gas but certainly not without options. Qatar is willing to provide 5% Discount for 20 years.

Pulkit

Country flag
We are at advanced stage of cutting a dreal with Qatar. The delay was caused by US' reluctance to strike a deal with GoP: US is a major share holder in Qatar gasfields and has the authority to sell Qatar-American gas for as less as $12/btu!!!

Ues we are in dire need of importingoil and gas but certainly not without options. Qatar is willing to provide 5% Discount for 20 years.

Advanced stages ... How much time to do think it will take to close the deal...?
US is leaving Afghan they now might have no desperate need to clear this deal.....

Neo

Advanced stages ... How much time to do think it will take to close the deal...?
US is leaving Afghan they now might have no desperate need to clear this deal.....
20 May 2014
Internews/Islamabad

Qatar has given a firm commitment to Pakistan that it will start exporting 200mn cubic feet of liquefied natural gas per day (mmcfd) next year, a promise that will end years of efforts to bring vital gas supplies to ease energy shortages, officials say.

This comes as the government takes a giant leap forward to prepare for receiving LNG imports.

Interstate Gas Systems (ISGS) — a state-run company formed to handle energy import projects —- has wrapped up the process of awarding the LNG terminal services contract to Elengy Terminal Pakistan Limited, a subsidiary of Engro Corp.

ISGS has already signed Iran-Pakistan and Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India gas pipeline deals. It has also completed the task of awarding the LNG terminal contract in less than six months.

The government is keeping three options open for LNG import including a supply agreement with Qatar on a state-to-state basis, floating tenders for import through competitive bidding and spot purchases after the successful bidder completes construction of a terminal in Karachi.

A Qatari team, which was in Pakistan, held a meeting with officials of Pakistan State Oil, Sui Southern Gas Company and ISGS on May 13 in Karachi to discuss the proposed Heads of Agreement a non-binding document outlining the main issues relevant to a partnership agreement, sources said.

"Qatar gave a firm commitment to export 200 mmcfd of LNG, which will be later enhanced to 400 mmcfd," a source familiar with the development said.

According to officials, the two sides discussed different clauses of the Heads of Agreement such as volume of LNG, specification of gas, guarantees and timeframe for first supplies to Pakistan. However, the price did not come up for discussion.

A senior official said the price was the last point that would be taken up after the two sides signed the Heads of Agreement. They had not finalised the agreement, therefore, the price was not quoted, he said.

Officials pointed out that Qatar sought to include a clause that would allow it to slap a $200mn penalty if Pakistan terminated the supply contract. However, Islamabad fiercely opposed the proposal and did not accept it.

"Now, the two sides will meet again next month to try and finalise the Heads of Agreement," the official said.

In the agreement, Qatar insists that the LNG supply contract should be for 15 years extendable for another five years with no "price reopener". It wants LNG price should be fixed as a percentage of Brent crude oil.

Earlier, during negotiations with the previous PPP-led government, Doha had offered LNG export at a price equivalent to 14.7% of Brent crude oil when it was hovering around $110 per barrel in the international market.

Later, it pushed the price down to $17.437 per million British thermal units (mmbtu), a 0.5% discount over the previous rate of $18.002 for the 20-year lifetime of the project. The price did not cover capital cost of the LNG terminal and its charges, import expenses, re-gasification, wastage and shipping costs. The additional costs will add about $2.084 per mmbtu to the quoted price.

According to an assessment of the Ministry of Petroleum, gas production will drop from the current 4.47bn cubic feet per day (bcfd) to 2.53 bcfd in 2019-20 if additional supplies were not brought.

Gas shortfall stood at 1.88 bcfd in 2013-14, which would jump to 4.79 bcfd in 2019-20.

The ministry plans to import 200 mmcfd to 2 bcfd of LNG, 750 mmcfd of natural gas from Iran and 1.365 bcfd from Turkmenistan to bridge the shortfall. It also wants to enhance supplies from domestic sources to meet energy needs in future.

http://www.gulf-times.com/mobile//eco.-bus.%20news/256/details/392816/qatar-agrees-to-supply-lng-to-pakistan-next-year

ladder

Country flag

India will not be selling you gas. India will only provide infrastructure ( pipeline) for your imported gas. As you have deficiency of the same from Karachi to Punjab. So, the import duty has been exempted for that.

The last mile building of infrastructure was problem, as it had to be decided who would pay for connecting pipeline from our last head to Pakistan and re-gassification plant.

But, I am not sure if any contract of outright sale to Pakistan has been made. As it was not in original line of thought.

Last edited:

Pulkit

Country flag
Going through the article I drew following conclusions:
1)200 mmcfd offered required twice...
2)Infrastructure is not ready..." after the successful bidder completes construction of a terminal in Karachi."
3)More than one options seeking ... Even there there will be support required from INDIA.
4)The cost you were quoting as $18 is actual close to $21 today with the increasing cost at international level I dont think how will they be even going below that... (Controlled by US)
5)Here nothing is yet finalised but in different stages . even if this deal goes on Its not going to happen anytime soon....

Sharing an article why i think that
Unfriendly ties: US turns down Pakistan's demand for LNG supply - PakTribune

20 May 2014
Internews/Islamabad

Qatar has given a firm commitment to Pakistan that it will start exporting 200mn cubic feet of liquefied natural gas per day (mmcfd) next year, a promise that will end years of efforts to bring vital gas supplies to ease energy shortages, officials say.

This comes as the government takes a giant leap forward to prepare for receiving LNG imports.

Interstate Gas Systems (ISGS) — a state-run company formed to handle energy import projects —- has wrapped up the process of awarding the LNG terminal services contract to Elengy Terminal Pakistan Limited, a subsidiary of Engro Corp.

ISGS has already signed Iran-Pakistan and Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India gas pipeline deals. It has also completed the task of awarding the LNG terminal contract in less than six months.

The government is keeping three options open for LNG import including a supply agreement with Qatar on a state-to-state basis, floating tenders for import through competitive bidding and spot purchases after the successful bidder completes construction of a terminal in Karachi.

A Qatari team, which was in Pakistan, held a meeting with officials of Pakistan State Oil, Sui Southern Gas Company and ISGS on May 13 in Karachi to discuss the proposed Heads of Agreement a non-binding document outlining the main issues relevant to a partnership agreement, sources said.

"Qatar gave a firm commitment to export 200 mmcfd of LNG, which will be later enhanced to 400 mmcfd," a source familiar with the development said.

According to officials, the two sides discussed different clauses of the Heads of Agreement such as volume of LNG, specification of gas, guarantees and timeframe for first supplies to Pakistan. However, the price did not come up for discussion.

A senior official said the price was the last point that would be taken up after the two sides signed the Heads of Agreement. They had not finalised the agreement, therefore, the price was not quoted, he said.

Officials pointed out that Qatar sought to include a clause that would allow it to slap a $200mn penalty if Pakistan terminated the supply contract. However, Islamabad fiercely opposed the proposal and did not accept it.

"Now, the two sides will meet again next month to try and finalise the Heads of Agreement," the official said.

In the agreement, Qatar insists that the LNG supply contract should be for 15 years extendable for another five years with no "price reopener". It wants LNG price should be fixed as a percentage of Brent crude oil.

Earlier, during negotiations with the previous PPP-led government, Doha had offered LNG export at a price equivalent to 14.7% of Brent crude oil when it was hovering around $110 per barrel in the international market.

Later, it pushed the price down to $17.437 per million British thermal units (mmbtu), a 0.5% discount over the previous rate of $18.002 for the 20-year lifetime of the project. The price did not cover capital cost of the LNG terminal and its charges, import expenses, re-gasification, wastage and shipping costs. The additional costs will add about $2.084 per mmbtu to the quoted price.

According to an assessment of the Ministry of Petroleum, gas production will drop from the current 4.47bn cubic feet per day (bcfd) to 2.53 bcfd in 2019-20 if additional supplies were not brought.

Gas shortfall stood at 1.88 bcfd in 2013-14, which would jump to 4.79 bcfd in 2019-20.

The ministry plans to import 200 mmcfd to 2 bcfd of LNG, 750 mmcfd of natural gas from Iran and 1.365 bcfd from Turkmenistan to bridge the shortfall. It also wants to enhance supplies from domestic sources to meet energy needs in future.

Gulf Times - Qatar agrees to supply LNG to Pakistan next year

Pulkit

Country flag
India will not be selling you gas. India will only provide infrastructure ( pipeline) for your imported gas. As you have deficiency of the same from Karachi to Punjab. So, the import duty has been exempted for that.

The last mile building of infrastructure was problem, as it had to be decided who would pay for connecting pipeline from our last head to Pakistan and re-gassification plant.

But, I am not sure if any contract of outright sale to Pakistan has been made. As it was not in original line of thought.
These are the rumors floating around ... You being correct is a huge chance...
I think somebody mixed Electricity with Fuel....

Neo

Going through the article I drew following conclusions:
1)200 mmcfd offered required twice...
2)Infrastructure is not ready..." after the successful bidder completes construction of a terminal in Karachi."
3)More than one options seeking ... Even there there will be support required from INDIA.
4)The cost you were quoting as $18 is actual close to $21 today with the increasing cost at international level I dont think how will they be even going below that... (Controlled by US)
5)Here nothing is yet finalised but in different stages . even if this deal goes on Its not going to happen anytime soon....

Sharing an article why i think that
Unfriendly ties: US turns down Pakistan's demand for LNG supply - PakTribune
The price agreed on May this year is $17,42 for 20 years. Some of the inftastructure is yet to be raised.

Main ppint is still that India will have no leverage over Qatar LNG in time of future conflict.

Pulkit

Country flag
The price agreed on May this year is $17,42 for 20 years. Some of the inftastructure is yet to be raised.

Main ppint is still that India will have no leverage over Qatar LNG in time of future conflict.

India is seeking no leverage ... I started by saying if stated above is true... I dont believe in thsi news....
+
We will surely like to see how your deal goes with Qatar....With your friend and ally opposing it...

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Pakis and Qatar agreed on a price of $17.437 per mmbtu for the 20-year lifetime of the project. This doesn't include cost of LNG re-gasification Terminal at Karachi port in addition to about $2.084 per mmbtu (import expenses, re-gasification, wastage and shipping costs) which adds to total cost of $19.521 per mmbtu.

Now the problem is Hindu Baniya's have linked a deal with Qatar at $10-12 per mmbtu. So now Pakis want renegotiation with brotherly Qatar for a better deal.

In other news: USA has rejected 'demand' of their major non-NATO ally and strategic partner in South-Asia for supply of LNG and instead suggested to strike a deal with Qatar for gas import. In breach of trust, a US based company Cheniere Energy Inc. has already signed a deal with Hindu company GAIL for supply for LNG and more such deals are in pipeline.

:(

Neo

India is seeking no leverage ... I started by saying if stated above is true... I dont believe in thsi news....
+
We will surely like to see how your deal goes with Qatar....With your friend and ally opposing it...
This deal is certainly a no go for sure. But we might be interested in the electricity deal being proposed by the Adani group.

Pulkit

Country flag
Electricity.....will also be costing more than others ...
Not trolling but many people in pak will rise and say hamara paani ... unki bijli ...... We dont want that electricity ... ...

This deal is certainly a no go for sure. But we might be interested in the electricity deal being proposed by the Adani group.

Neo

Electricity.....will also be costing more than others ...
Not trolling but many people in pak will rise and say hamara paani ... unki bijli ...... We dont want that electricity ... ...
Believe me, Pakistanis are so fed up with loadshedding that they wouldn't even say no to electeicity from Israel.

Btw, Adani will set up a 10.000MW thermal or coal complex near Sindh border. So your pani and your koyla and your energy, shanti :)

ladder

Country flag
Believe me, Pakistanis are so fed up with loadshedding that they wouldn't even say no to electeicity from Israel.

Btw, Adani will set up a 10.000MW thermal or coal complex near Sindh border. So your pani and your koyla and your energy, shanti :)
In Adani's proposal coal will come from Pakistan, electricity exported to Pakistan.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles