India to send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees, China Sri Lanka bhai bhai

KS

Bye bye DFI
Sir, speak for yourself.

I am pretty damn sure Sri Lankan Tamils have no intention to go back to violence. For you, it is a salamander measuring contest, while for them, it is about getting their lives back together. For Amit, it is a strategic blunder. Indian Tamils will eat, sleep, and live happily. Rest of India will also eat, sleep, and live happily. It is the hapless Sri Lankan Tamils who will die and get maimed, in thousands, if this civil war continues; or if India tries to recreate another LTTE, for the sake of 'strategic depth' against SL.
Speak for yourself. How many Lankan Tamils have met and talked with ? Ofcourse they do not want to go back to violence, but their wish was the armed conflict ended and a political solution replaced the armed conflict with a counter force to the Lankan Army still in place, to fall back on if anything changes in the future. Just like what happened during the 2002-2005 ceasefire.

I'm repeating for the 'n'th time that for the Lankan Tamils the LTTE were a necessary evil - to afford them a degree a relative protection from the devil incarnate.

Fine, the LTTE is the big bad guy...the Govt in New Delhi supported the destruction of LTTE [along with an indiscriminate killing of civilians] only because the Rajapksa Govt gave a commitment to India to immediately implement a political solution to the Tamil problem - what he called !3the Amendment and plus - .This I'm not saying, but said by SM Krishna. But now Rajapaksa has even denied that he said any such thing. Now who is the joker here ? Undoubtedly New Delhi. What is the guarentee that he will not do any such 'U-Turns' in the future also regarding other strategic commitment like not letting China set a naval base etc. ? As I said, New Delhi got played for a fool in Lanka - as it was in Nepal - and it will pay the price for it in future. The 'I-told-you-so' moment is not that far away.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Speak for yourself. How many Lankan Tamils have met and talked with ?
Speaking for myself, I have personally met, and known, for over 2 years while I was living in Mumbai, a Sri Lankan Tamil, whose wedding I have attended, and who was more than happy to get the hell out of the civil war, and is now happily settled in Norway. If I ever visit Norway, I will be staying in his house. (If I count his parents and sister, I know 4 Sri Lankan Tamils, but I am not counting them)

Just one, and a pretty small sample size too; but I don't buy your logic. What you are saying is - unbelievable.

Rest of your post, plenty of incidents, which you have correctly stated, but your solutions or future road-map - well, you have none.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Speaking for myself, I have personally met, and known, for over 2 years while I was living in Mumbai, a Sri Lankan Tamil, whose wedding I have attended, and who was more than happy to get the hell out of the civil war, and is now happily settled in Norway. If I ever visit Norway, I will be staying in his house. (If I count his parents and sister, I know 4 Sri Lankan Tamils, but I am not counting them)

Just one, and a pretty small sample size too; but I don't buy your logic. What you are saying is - unbelievable.

Rest of your post, plenty of incidents, which you have correctly stated, but your solutions or future road-map - well, you have none.
Good luck basing your thoughts on one. I have been to refugee camps, interacted with dozens and fyi these people dont open up easily.

Road map you say ? I have said plenty of times that without accounting for the war crimes and the solid dictation from India [shedding it's kow-towing attitude] none of the 'roadmap' will bear fruit. None of you understand the mindset of the Sinhala right now - it is not one of reconciliation and rapproachment , but one of increased arrogance and jubiliation thinking they can get away with anything by playing countries against each other.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Good luck basing your thoughts on one. I have been to refugee camps, interacted with dozens and fyi these people dont open up easily.

Road map you say ? I have said plenty of times that without accounting for the war crimes and the solid dictation from India [shedding it's kow-towing attitude] none of the 'roadmap' will bear fruit.
You said you have met SL Tamil refugees. What did they tell you? Did they say they wanted this civil war to continue till apocalypse come?

KS

Bye bye DFI
You said you have met SL Tamil refugees. What did they tell you? Did they say they wanted this civil war to continue till apocalypse come?
They wanted the Indian Govt to intervene when hell was being unleashed upon them in the name of 'fighting terror', they wanted an end to the conflict by forcing a ceasefire on the belligerents and bringing them on the negotiating table and make the ceasefire hold. India was capable of that, the NDA govt reportedly did that.

pmaitra

They wanted the Indian Govt to intervene when hell was being unleashed upon them in the name of 'fighting terror', they wanted an end to the conflict by forcing a ceasefire on the belligerents and bringing them on the negotiating table and make the ceasefire hold. India was capable of that, the NDA govt reportedly did that.
My take: Yes, GoI should have intervened. Why did that not happen? Past experience, aka, lack of trust. Neither side could be trusted enough, thanks to SL Army and LTTE collaboration against IPKF. It is this past experience that makes me wary of having 'boots on the ground.'

I am very much aware not all SL Tamils were LTTE (and that is why I said LTTE was not the sole representative of the SL Tamils), but committing Indian troops had the potential of another bungled operation yielding nothing useful, and lot of body bags.

You may have different ideas of the outcome had GoI intervened, and if so, please share your thoughts.

KS

Bye bye DFI
My take: Yes, GoI should have intervened. Why did that not happen? Past experience, aka, lack of trust. Neither side could be trusted enough, thanks to SL Army and LTTE collaboration against IPKF. It is this past experience that makes me wary of having 'boots on the ground.'

I am very much aware not all SL Tamils were LTTE (and that is why I said LTTE was not the sole representative of the SL Tamils), but committing Indian troops had the potential of another bungled operation yielding nothing useful, and lot of body bags.

You may have different ideas of the outcome had GoI intervened, and if so, please share your thoughts.
'Boots on the ground' is the extreme step and as such is a strawman argument.

The govt in New Delhi has enough diplomatic clout to have forced a ceasefire and without the support of New Delhi the Lanans could not have did what they did. That was an unknown blunder or a cold-blooded known [in]action on New Delhi's part - the consequences of which will unfortunately have to bear in the future.

Secondly those people dont want aid, they want justice and dignity and without that all the aid is nothing more than alms thrown at them.

pmaitra

'Boots on the ground' is the extreme step and as such is a strawman argument.
Glad you agreed.

The govt in New Delhi has enough diplomatic clout to have forced a ceasefire and without the support of New Delhi the Lanans could not have did what they did. That was an unknown blunder or a cold-blooded known [in]action on New Delhi's part - the consequences of which will unfortunately have to bear in the future.
Blaming Delhi for whatever happened in SL is naïve. War crimes came to be known much later. You might argue Delhi already knew about it, but then, you would be speculating. Yes, it is true Delhi wished complete destruction of LTTE, but then, is it fair to interpret that as Delhi tacitly supporting the atrocities on civilians? I don't believe Delhi would ever support brutalities against civilians.

Secondly those people dont want aid, they want justice and dignity and without that all the aid is nothing more than alms thrown at them.
Point noted and I agree. War crimes must be investigated and those guilty punished.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles