India to erect floating fence along Sir Creek border with Pakistan

cloud_9

Country flag

NEW DELHI: India will soon erect a 'floating fence', anchored by submerged metallic meshes, along the disputed Sir Creek border area with Pakistan.

The 96-km strip in the Rann of Kutch marshes is notorious for illegal crossings and smuggling of narcotics and arms and is patrolled round-the-clock by BSF marine commandos.

Top sources involved in the project said after mulling over various options, the Union Home Ministry entrusted the CPWD and NBCC to install an all-weather 'gabion box' fence along the stretch.

While the National Buildings Construction Corporation will erect the fence on about 75 km of the watery strip, the Central Public Works Department has already started work in the rest of the area, sources said.

A 'gabion box' is a meshed metallic box-like structure with hexagonal wire nettings and it is lowered down the bed of the water body after big stones are filled inside it.

"The fence would be erected on the 'gabion boxes' which will have the usual all-weather concertina wires and poles. The Sir Creek area is characteristic with shallow and slushy water and these boxes would be the best material to be sunk under water considering the difficulty of the terrain to execute such a difficult project," an official privy to the development said.

The 'gabion box' is a regular technology used for flood water control and prevention of rock breaking along coasts by the impact of the saline ocean water.

India and Pakistan are continuously in talks with regard to the maritime boundary dispute in this area.

Sources said the fence would be erected, despite the ongoing talks, in order to safeguard Indian security interest.

Officials said a number of other plans, including erecting a pontoon fence, were also discussed with engineering experts but the Home Ministry found the 'gabion box' technique apt for this project.

The entire project, sources said, would have an estimated cost of about Rs 1,200 crore and the financial sanctions in this regard would be granted soon to the executing agencies.

The Sir Creek area, including a particular stretch called 'harami nala', vulnerable for infiltration, will also be covered by the fencing.

A number of instances of the Border Security Force apprehending Pakistani fishermen and trawlers are reported from the Sir Creek area regularly and hence the border guarding force has raised and deployed a special unit called 'crocodile' commandos in the marshy territory.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Good, it should be the case with few swamps and rivers along Pakistani and BD border as well.

agentperry

this will also assert indian claims over sir creek. our land will be fenced by our agencies keeping pakistanis at bay

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Shouldn't India NOT do this?

Nature has been with us. Sir Creek has been changing course westwards giving us more of land :D

A permanent fence will kind of make us let go of what nature has to offer us :D

abingdonboy

Country flag
Shouldn't India NOT do this?

Nature has been with us. Sir Creek has been changing course westwards giving us more of land :D

A permanent fence will kind of make us let go of what nature has to offer us :D

A few metres a year- nothing worthwhile surely.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
A few metres a year- nothing worthwhile surely.
The benefit is not in the few meters of land but hundreds of square kilometers of EEZ the comes with it. Why do you think we are fighting over the definition of where the border lies in Sir Creek.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The US could do this except people from south of the Rio Grande can just wade across.

Indianboy

Country flag
Modi warns PM against attempt to hand over Sir Creek to Pakistan

Ahmedabad, 12 December 2012

Attempt to hand over Sir-Creek to Pakistan would be strategic blunder considering the history and sensitivity of regions:Gujarat Chief Minister Shri Narendra Modi told PM in a letter.

Shri Modi wrote a letter to PM as a concerned citizen of Gujarat.

"Handing over Sir-Creek to Pakistan will endanger our energy security from potential oil & gas reserves in future," Shri Modi told the PM in a letter.

Content of the letter:

"I am writing on a serious issue of talks going on Sir-Creek being handed over to Pakistan. I had raised this issue in the Chief Minister conference on Internal Security held in New Delhi on 16th April 2012. During my recent visit to Coastal district of Kutch and Saurasthra region and border districts of Northern Gujarat, there is a genuine fear among the people regarding safety and security of Gujarat state, if government of India agrees to hand over Sir-Creek to Pakistan. I am writing to you at this juncture, because I was told that a decision is being taken on Sir-Creek issue on 15th December. I would have written this letter to you as Chief Minister of Gujarat. Since code of conduct in Gujarat election are in place and this issue needs urgent attention, I am writing to you as a concerned and responsible citizen of Gujarat."

"Sir-Creek issue has been settled 100 years back between rulers of Kutch and Sindh. Even the tribunal verdict in 1968 headed by the British Prime Minister Harold Wilson shows Pakistan getting only 10% of its claim of 9000 sq. km. of this broader area. Handing over Sir Creek to Pakistan will totally open up Gujarat border with Pakistan. I was given to understand that recently Pakistan carried out a joint operation of their army, air force and navy code named Sea-Spark-12, almost one month very near to Sir-Creek. This is a disturbing development for security and safety of Gujarat. Handing over Sir-Creek to Pakistan will give them more control over the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) in the sea. This will be permanent threat to fishermen of Saurashtra and Kutch area and also the vital defence installations and major industrial installations like refineries and ports."

"I am of the firm opinion that Kutch, Saurashtra, and North Gujarat has vast potential of oil and gas both off shore and onshore. Handing over Sir-Creek to Pakistan will endanger our energy security from these potential oil and gas reserves in the future."

"Earlier also I had requested to put a dedicated force to explore hydrocarbon potential of these areas. Any attempt to hand over Sir-Creek to Pakistan would be a strategic blunder considering the history and sensitivity of the region. The 1965 war between India and Pakistan began in the Rann of Kutch where Sir Creek lies."

"At no point in the entire process has the government of Gujarat been consulted. In similar case of Teesta agreement with Bangladesh West Bengal Chief Minister was consulted and the agreement was cancelled. At no cost should Sir-Creek be given to Pakistan, as it will be a sell out of Indian interest and it is a major threat to safety and security to the people of Gujarat. I would earnestly request you to stop this dialogue with Pakistan at once and Sir-Creek should not be handed over to Pakistan."

"I would request you to stop taking any decision on this crucial issue on 15th December. After the election are over in Gujarat, I shall seek your time to personally discuss this issue with you."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles