India to conduct night trial of Agni-I missile

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
India to conduct night trial of Agni-I missile | NDTV.com
All India | Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: February 17, 2014 20:33 IST

India is preparing to conduct the first night trial of Agni-I ballistic missile from a defence base in Odisha, defence sources said on Monday.

The indigenously developed surface to surface missile, which can strike a target over 700 km away, would be fired from Wheeler Island off the coast near Dhamra in Bhadrak district, 170 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

The Strategic Forces Command will conduct the test as part of user trial with the help of the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

The preparations are on. If the weather condition remains conducive it could be fired on Tuesday between 7 pm to 8 pm, they said.

Agni which has already been inducted in the army uses solid propulsion booster and a liquid propulsion upper stage, derived from country's first indigenously developed ballistic missile Prithvi.

It was first tested from the same base on January 25, 2002. Although several trials of the missile has been conducted since then, for the first time a night trial of Agni-I would be conducted to reconfirm its technological parameters.

JBH22

Agni 1 is pretty old missile now.

If I'm not wrong the missile should not be all weather ready and what's the big deal with night test.

After so many years its still being tested?

Free Karma

Night trial of Agni-I put off again - The Hindu

The first-ever night user trial of the nuclear-weapons capable Agni-I surface-to-surface ballistic missile on Wheeler island, off the Odisha coast, was postponed for a second time on Wednesday due to a "technical glitch." Personnel of the Strategic Forces Command had originally planned the test-fire on Tuesday night.

The 15-metre tall, single stage solid-fuelled missile can carry a 1,000 kg payload up to a distance of 700 km. The next launch date would be decided later, DRDO sources said.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Agni 1 is pretty old missile now.

If I'm not wrong the missile should not be all weather ready and what's the big deal with night test.

After so many years its still being tested?
A1 was made in 2000, when need was felt to have single stage missile for launching it from middle of India to pak land.

All missiles need testing by SFC as regular exercise.

I think BDL should be spanked big time we are supposed to reply in few hours now we have to wait for next morning so that our generals can watch it live over morning tea.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Night trial of Agni-I missile put off

Bhubaneswar: The first night trial of Agni-I ballistic missile has been postponed indefinitely for the second time, a defence official said on Thursday.

The missile was to be tested for the first time for night launch on Tuesday by the Strategic Forces Command as part of user trial from the Wheeler Island off the coast near Dhamra in Bhadrak district in Odisha, 170 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

But it was put off for a day initially for some technical glitches. It was again deferred indefinitely as the glitches persisted.

The glitches "will be analysed. The next launch would be decided later. It may take some more time because there are other missions immediately. After we finish the scheduled missions, we will come back to this," the official told a news agency.

The Agni, which has already been inducted in the Army, uses solid propulsion booster and a liquid propulsion upper stage, derived from country's first indigenously developed ballistic missile Prithvi.

It was first tested from the same base on January 25, 2002. Although several trials of the missile has been conducted since then, for the first time a night trial of Agni-I was planned to reconfirm its technological parameters.

The official said preparation was underway to carry out multiple tests of medium-range Akash missile from the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur (ITR) in the costal district of Balasore, about 230 km from Bhubaneswar within the next fortnight.

One test is likely to be carried out on Friday, he said.

The 700-kg indigenously developed Akash all-weather surface-to-air missile has a range of about 27 km and can carry a 60-kg warhead. It can fly at a speed of up to Mach 2.5 and climb up to an altitude of 18 km. It can operate autonomously, and engage and neutralise different aerial targets simultaneously.

It can be launched from static or mobile platforms providing the armed forces flexible deployment.

IANS

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
just imagine we have to fire this A1 towards Pakistan in night after getting nuke from Pakistan and it will not work............................ we have to work on the next day................... next day also it will not work............... ok we will nuke them at our free will......................:rofl:

some people should be placed in that RV instead of dummy nukes.

Last edited:

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
Night trial of Agni-I missile put off - The Times of India

BHUBANESWAR: The first night trial of Agni-I ballistic missile has been postponed indefinitely for the second time, a defence official said on Thursday.

The missile was to be tested for the first time for night launch on Tuesday by the Strategic Forces Command as part of user trial from the Wheeler Island off the coast near Dhamra in Bhadrak district in Odisha, 170 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

But it was put off for a day initially for some technical glitches. It was again deferred indefinitely as the glitches persisted.

The glitches "will be analysed. The next launch would be decided later. It may take some more time because there are other missions immediately. After we finish the scheduled missions, we will come back to this," the official told IANS.

The Agni, which has already been inducted in the army, uses solid propulsion booster and a liquid propulsion upper stage, derived from country's first indigenously developed ballistic missile Prithvi.

It was first tested from the same base Jan 25, 2002. Although several trials of the missile has been conducted since then, for the first time a night trial of Agni-I was planned to reconfirm its technological parameters.

The official said preparation was underway to carry out multiple tests of medium-range Akash missile from the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur (ITR) in the costal district of Balasore, about 230 km from Bhubaneswar within the next fortnight.

One test is likely to be carried out Friday, he said.

The 700-kg indigenously developed Akash all-weather surface-to-air missile has a range of about 27 km and can carry a 60-kg warhead. It can fly at a speed of up to Mach 2.5 and climb up to an altitude of 18 km. It can operate autonomously, and engage and neutralise different aerial targets simultaneously.

It can be launched from static or mobile platforms providing the armed forces flexible deployment.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
just imagine we have to fire this A1 towards Pakistan in night after getting nuke from Pakistan and it will not work............................ we have to work on the next day................... next day also it will not work............... ok we will nuke them at our free will......................:rofl:

some people should be placed in that RV instead of dummy nukes.
Brother, how many countries are having this technology to fire missiles at nights ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Brother, how many countries are having this technology to fire missiles at nights ?
problem is not for missile to be fire at night, it has to be all the technical glitches, God knows what it might be.

US use GPS therefore they dont need to guide their missile based on stars and other things.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
problem is not for missile to be fire at night, it has to be all the technical glitches, God knows what it might be.

US use GPS therefore they dont need to guide their missile based on stars and other things.
Do you think India should have this capability?

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Missiles use Inertial guidance system which consists of gyroscopes and gimbals. Some use GPS aided guidance systems.
For inertial guidance system the guidance is done based on the target co ordinates and the launch co ordinates.

There is not much difference between night and day launches.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
Missiles use Inertial guidance system which consists of gyroscopes and gimbals. Some use GPS aided guidance systems.
For inertial guidance system the guidance is done based on the target co ordinates and the launch co ordinates.

There is not much difference between night and day launches.
So you are saying that India is already having this capability and this test at night is like an official statement

happy

What Went Wrong with Agni-I Missile? - The New Indian Express

Postponement of first night trial of nuke capable ballistic missile Agni-I following technical snags in the system raised eyebrows of many. Defence experts pointed fingers at the faults in the inertial navigation system (INS).

After an abortive mission on Tuesday, the 700-km range missile was ready for the test from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast on Wednesday evening. But the officials of the strategic forces command (SFC) were forced to put off the test for indefinite period reportedly due to some technical glitches in the missile system.

The test was considered 'very crucial' as it was supposed to give a technical push to the country's defence programme and prove the capability of launching the missile from any terrain anytime.

Defence sources said the snag was detected a few seconds prior to the take off. "The countdown was going on smoothly, but the system shut down 18 seconds prior to take off," said an official.

DRDO and Army authorities, however, declined to divulge the details about postponing the mission. "The test was deferred due to a technical snag. Work is on to rectify it and hopefully the test will be conducted soon," an official told this paper on condition of anonymity.

Defence experts claimed the missile system developed snags whenever an Indian INS was used on it. "It flies well with the Russian INS, but the Army has been insisting DRDO to use the Indian system and prove its reliability," they said.

However, it was not for the first time that the faults were detected in Agni missile. On August 29, 2011 defence authorities had to put off a user trial of 2000-km range surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-II for an indefinite period.

Defence experts have criticised the DRDO for the recurring failures. They said the faults are chronic and the scientists seem to have failed to rectify it permanently. "If the missile behaves like this during user trials, what will happen during the time of crisis? Can we afford to hold the country into ransom security-wise?"

Agni-I missile, which has a length of 15 meters, a diameter of one meter and weight 12 tonnes, can carry a payload of around 1000 kg. This missile has been developed by the Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL) and some other DRDO laboratories.

jmj_overlord

What Went Wrong with Agni-I Missile? - The New Indian Express

Postponement of first night trial of nuke capable ballistic missile Agni-I following technical snags in the system raised eyebrows of many. Defence experts pointed fingers at the faults in the inertial navigation system (INS).

DRDO and Army authorities, however, declined to divulge the details about postponing the mission. "The test was deferred due to a technical snag. Work is on to rectify it and hopefully the test will be conducted soon," an official told this paper on condition of anonymity.

Defence experts claimed the missile system developed snags whenever an Indian INS was used on it. "It flies well with the Russian INS, but the Army has been insisting DRDO to use the Indian system and prove its reliability," they said.
a doubt here......all the trials conducted before for all the versions of agni were using the russian INS ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles