India To Buy Attack Drones From Israel For $400 Million: Report

Blackwater

India will buy 10 armed drones from Israel at a cost of $400 million, the Economic Timesreported Friday, citing sources within India’s ministry of defense. Officials from Israel Aerospace Industries were currently in India and exploring joint production of drones, the report added.

The Heron TP drones will be operated by India’s air force, and their procurement was being fast-tracked by India’s federal government. The deal was approved by India last week and the drones might be commissioned within a year, the paper reported.

India, which already uses an unarmed version of the drone for surveillance and intelligence gathering, sees the armed drones giving it an edge in combating cross-border scenarios, the paper reported. They can carry payloads of over 1,000 kilograms (about 2,200 pounds) and will be fitted with air-to-ground missiles.

The drones are particularly useful in attacking targets in scenarios that pose a risk to the lives of soldiers, the newspaper reported, citing the officials.

India is investing in a program to build its own unmanned aerial vehicles, all commonly called drones, but is some years away from actually commissioning one for use in combat, the paper reported.

The program, started in 2006, is being developed by the country’s umbrella organization for defense technology, the Defense Research and Development Organization, and the contract to build the first version, Rustom 1, was awarded to state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Bharat Electronics Ltd., Mint newspaper reported in 2010.

In January this year, India invited private companies to take on the serial production of Rustom 2, the second, more advanced version, Defense World reported. The Indian government has also offered to bear 80 percent of the development costs, according to the report.

http://www.ibtimes.com/india-buy-attack-drones-israel-400-million-report-2092464

blue marlin

The armed forces had proposed buying the same armed drones in 2012. But the proposal didn’t get the support of UPA-2. The project was revived by the Modi government this year.

Thanks to modi
modi is streamlining the procurement process for defence procurements

Sylex21

This seems like a direct response to Pakistan's recent test of their C̶h̶i̶n̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶o̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ locally manufactured drone. My guess is Indian logic was "we can take our time and build our own armed drones no rush. Oh look Pakistan got one from China, we might as well buy a few to start the training process as we develop our local version for mass production."

Abhijat

Country flag
I think this is strong signal towards pakistan establishment, stop your cross border terror infiltration , otherwise ...:rage:

And also , please use them more proactively :cowboy:. Sad to see our soldiers laying their life and we are only following reactive approach towards such terror establishment.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I have not seen any pics of armed version of Heron, anybody?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
i think this purchase is more to understand how a functional armed drone platform works, rather than to attack somebody...

tsunami

Country flag
When I was at home this Rakhi I was in a discussion with my uncle that Modi will do atleast one strike in Pakistan before 2019 election. He said that not feasible, too risky. I said he might do air strike by strike fighters or even UCAV by purchasing one soon. I made just tall claims. But this is Modi govt. tall claims are becomming true. :p

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
This is right after doval's visit to Israel,now we know what he was upto.I think these are for the exclusive use of RAW. Also maybe a backdoor tech transfer for the Rustam 2 UCAV version.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I have not seen any pics of armed version of Heron, anybody?
It's called the Eitan and Israel is pretty secretive about it.
One of the Previous strikes carried out by Israel using the Eitan is
1)One report stated that Israel deployed Eitans in its alleged 2009 airstrike against an alleged Gaza-bound Iranian arms convoy traveling through Sudan.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
When I was at home this Rakhi I was in a discussion with my uncle that Modi will do atleast one strike in Pakistan before 2019 election. He said that not feasible, too risky. I said he might do air strike by strike fighters or even UCAV by purchasing one soon. I made just tall claims. But this is Modi govt. tall claims are becomming true. :p
More like in response and not "attack".

Pakis can show their aggression and we would simply respond in kind.They are itching for a tight slap after every 10 years as history says.

Poor Pakis are really frustrated specially MODI visit to UAE and his grand welcome in Grand Mosque by Khalijis.

blueblood

This is right after doval's visit to Israel,now we know what he was upto.I think these are for the exclusive use of RAW. Also maybe a backdoor tech transfer for the Rustam 2 UCAV version.
ARC is a long time customer of Israeli products so you could be right.

blue marlin

More like in response and not "attack".

Pakis can show their aggression and we would simply respond in kind.They are itching for a tight slap after every 10 years as history says.

Poor Pakis are really frustrated specially MODI visit to UAE and his grand welcome in Grand Mosque by Khalijis.
a little birdy from pakistan told me that china is going to sell the ch-5 to pakistan and it will include tot.
1017908316.jpg

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
a little birdy from pakistan told me that china is going to sell the ch-5 to pakistan and it will include tot.
View attachment 6015
The birdy is your relative in Skardu at a Terrorist Camp.

Good to see you admitted you have lot of birdies in Pakistan providing you recent updates.

Next time you go to terrorist training camp in Pakistan watch out the sky since some US birdy might target you.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This seems like a direct response to Pakistan's recent test of their C̶h̶i̶n̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶o̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ locally manufactured drone. My guess is Indian logic was "we can take our time and build our own armed drones no rush. Oh look Pakistan got one from China, we might as well buy a few to start the training process as we develop our local version for mass production."
Negotiation for such a deal would have predated Pakistan's recent use of their drones to drop dumb bombs on mud houses of their own people.

But you could be right if Indian intelligence already knew what Pakistanis are doing with their drones :hat:
BTW I am bit confused with this news.

Aren't we already using this drone? What kind of weapons it can carry or what kind of weapon package we are buying ?

blue marlin

The birdy is your relative in Skardu at a Terrorist Camp.

Good to see you admitted you have lot of birdies in Pakistan providing you recent updates.

Next time you go to terrorist training camp in Pakistan watch out the sky since some US birdy might target you.
these the rock127 we all know and love.a grumpy Indian man who's wife ran off with a Pakistani man.

i have sources from countries of interest, including india. Pakistan is one of many.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Aren't we already using this drone? What kind of weapons it can carry or what kind of weapon package we are buying ?
we have Heron drones ..modified Heron TP is the Armed Eitan

possible weapon package , only on center line

Hell fire
PGM/LGB
Spice missiles

Global Defence

New threads

Articles