India to build cyber attack proof operating system

EagleOne

Bangalore, Oct 9 (IANS) The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is developing a futuristic operating system to protect its sensitive data from cyber attacks, including hacking, a top official said Saturday.

"We initiated the indigenous computing project in September and a road map is being drawn to implement the programme," DRDO director general V.K. Saraswat told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.

To be located in Bangalore and New Delhi, the operating system would be similar to systems used worldwide.

"Though it will be a real-time system with Windows software, source code and architecture will be proprietary, giving us the exclusivity of owning a system unknown to foreign elements and protect our security system," Saraswat said after unveiling a training facility at the Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR), a defence lab in this tech hub.

The new operating system will also reduce the organisation's vulnerability and susceptibility to cyber attacks from internet.

The first of its kind initiative will be used to secure the defence systems for computing in various research areas such as molecular computing and bio-molecular computing, used by the security formations, Saraswat, who is also security advisor to the defence minister, pointed out.

"We have pooled 50 scientists from various defence labs in Bangalore and New Delhi to work on the project," the official said.

The defence laboratory tied up with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chennai and other universities.

"We have also roped in private firms to develop the project," Saraswat added.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I would like to see if some specific secrret File System is created along with this OS. It'll be the robust, highly secured, virtually un-breachable system then evidently serving the purpose of protecting sensitive data as whatever foreign party will come across will be almost 'alien stuff'!

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Nice to see INDIA is indulging in developing an operating system specifically for out defence systems.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Nearly impossible to achieve something that is unhackable. Since in computer there is - for every +.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
There's no such thing as "cyber attack-proof". If it's networked, it can be compromised. Hundreds of big companies got owned by their so-claimed "attack-proof" products getting compromised in minutes by teenage geeks.

The least those dinosaurs at DRDO could have done is shut up about such a development as a national secret.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why cant they use some LINUX operating system ?
linux can also easily get hacked.

in case of computers getting hacked...lets say that you can prevent it but not cure it completely.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I would like to see if some specific secrret File System is created along with this OS. It'll be the robust, highly secured, virtually un-breachable system then evidently serving the purpose of protecting sensitive data as whatever foreign party will come across will be almost 'alien stuff'!
It's called encryption, look it up.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I know what I do. Cryptography has been there more or less from centuries.
Mainstream computer networking took off from the '70s, so it's obvious I'm talking about data-encryption (cryptography of electronic data), which also came up around the '70s.

I sure hope you know what you do. Because you said:

I would like to see if some specific secrret File System is created along with this OS.
No matter how "new" or different a file-system is, data is transmitted/received along existing infrastructure (such as the internet), in essentially the same format. If it's a different protocol, then that demands a different infrastructure (which kills portability and escalates costs like no tomorrow), if it's encrypted, a properly skilled person can decrypt it.

My central point is: DRDO is gloating about something American companies did decades ago, making claims that their technologies were invincible. Which not a right statement to make. The least they could have done is not talked about it.

Last edited:

EagleOne

There's no such thing as "cyber attack-proof". If it's networked, it can be compromised. Hundreds of big companies got owned by their so-claimed "attack-proof" products getting compromised in minutes by teenage geeks.

The least those dinosaurs at DRDO could have done is shut up about such a development as a national secret.
yes their is no cyber attack proof ..
but if go for a system where the the attacker dont know the source code of any application that is used on that particular system then how can one attack
because they hackers need some flaw in the code so that they can attack or they need some of the component on the system that can be attacked
so how it can be compromised

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
yes their is no cyber attack proof ..
but if go for a system where the the attacker dont know the source code of any application that is used on that particular system then how can one attack
because they hackers need some flaw in the code so that they can attack or they need some of the component on the system that can be attacked
so how it can be compromised
Like I said, the attacker need not know the workings of a system. All devices, starting from supercomputers to GPRS-enabled mobile phones talk to each other in a common protocol, over common infrastructure, the internet. Files are shared between Linux-driven machines with their ext3 volumes, and Windows-driven machines with their NTFS volumes, over common protocols. For example, the images you see on this site, are stored on a server that runs Linux, and stores data on an ext3 filesystem. Yet your machine is able to make sense of the data it sends, because it's talking to the server over common TCP network and http communications, and vulnerabilities are continuously discovered and patch to contain threats, not eliminate it. Hence nobody can claim that their product is invincible to cyber-attacks.

There are countless instances where companies claimed to have developed "invincible" cyber technology, the same thing DRDO just did, by climing their software was "cyber attack proof", which were later proven to not be the case, including US military. The US military networks with their so-called "invincible" and "unique technology" driven computers have been compromised by hackers in the past.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Mainstream computer networking took off from the '70s, so it's obvious I'm talking about data-encryption (cryptography of electronic data), which also came up around the '70s.
'Electronic data encryption' came around '70s. But 'Data Encryption' has been there since long before.

No matter how "new" or different a file-system is, data is transmitted/received along existing infrastructure (such as the internet), in essentially the same format.
Loss of data to unauthorized party while 'transmitting/receiving over Internet' is one of the many ways if data security to be compromised. So if it HAS TO BE shared over open-network then the advantage of unrecognized data format is lowered. But in rest of the patterns, specific computer file system can provide lot of secrecy & also ease of operation.

If it's a different protocol, then that demands a different infrastructure (which kills portability and escalates costs like no tomorrow),
True. Although sometimes costs involved are justified, sometimes they are not.

Last edited:

EagleOne

Like I said, the attacker need not know the workings of a system. All devices, starting from supercomputers to GPRS-enabled mobile phones talk to each other in a common protocol, over common infrastructure, the internet. Files are shared between Linux-driven machines with their ext3 volumes, and Windows-driven machines with their NTFS volumes, over common protocols. For example, the images you see on this site, are stored on a server that runs Linux, and stores data on an ext3 filesystem. Yet your machine is able to make sense of the data it sends, because it's talking to the server over common TCP network and http communications, and vulnerabilities are continuously discovered and patch to contain threats, not eliminate it. Hence nobody can claim that their product is invincible to cyber-attacks.

There are countless instances where companies claimed to have developed "invincible" cyber technology, the same thing DRDO just did, by climing their software was "cyber attack proof",
well the thing they didnt say it is cyber attack proof it will be developed inhouse so that the source code is with us we can give maximum possible security-(cyber attack proof-maglorean media creation)
as a lay man i want to know,
and now take for example let us think that the image i have seen contain malware now i download it and seen it through my own pic viewer/own os .if some thing it has to send information from my system to the hacker how can it will be able to detect the information in my system. with out knowing where to go in my system ..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
'Electronic data encryption' came around '70s. But 'Data Encryption' has been there since long before.
And I'm talking about electronic data encryption only, since we're talking about electronic-computers since post 1.

Loss of data to unauthorized party while 'transmitting/receiving over Internet' is one of the many ways if data security to be compromised. So if it HAS TO BE shared over open-network then the advantage of unrecognized data format is lowered. In rest of the patterns specific computer file system can provide lot of secrecy & also ease of operation.
Yes, and if you've read the article, they're talking about a system that makes use of existing infrastructure, while claiming to be immune to attacks caused over that existing infrastructure. Now that is what is a bad statement to make on the part of DRDO. They're instead, in a way, challenging experts from all over to take a shot at it.

True. Although sometimes costs involved are justified, sometimes they are not.
Yeah, and if you're building an alternative infrastructure, you're looking at similar costs involved in setting up the existing infrastructure. In this case, it is not justified.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
well the thing they didnt say it is cyber attack proof
Read the headline.

(cyber attack proof-maglorean media creation)
There you go. This should have been mentioned.

as a lay man i want to know,
and now take for example let us think that the image i have seen contain malware now i download it and seen it through my own pic viewer/own os .if some thing it has to send information from my system to the hacker how can it will be able to detect the information in my system. with out knowing where to go in my system ..
For example, servers and supercomputers all over the world are controlled remotely over telnet (which is a common way to do it, and is prone to vulnerabilities). Regardless of what OS or FS the system is using, the attacker will use the same protocol an admin sitting in Delhi will use, to control servers located in Nagpur. It's tougher than it sounds, but a person who is diligent enough can exploit those vulnerabilities, and compromise the system.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
And I'm talking about electronic data encryption only, since we're talking about electronic-computers since post 1.
You should have been specific while giving me knowledge of what I define. Since definitions are case sensitive in technical field.

tarunraju said:
You just defined data-encryption. It's been around since the '70s.

tarunraju said:
Yes, and if you've read the article, they're talking about a system that makes use of existing infrastructure, while claiming to be immune to attacks caused over that existing infrastructure. Now that is what is a bad statement to make on the part of DRDO. They're instead, in a way, challenging experts from all over to take a shot at it.
I couldn't find Sarawat claiming the upcoming system to be 'immune' or 'attack proof'. He is simply talking about help in ability to prevent attacks through this system. He is talking about reducing vulnerability of organization's data if/over internet. Let me know if official claims are made somewhere. Hype is what media projecting & hype is over which uneducated fools jumping.

tarunraju said:
Yeah, and if you're building an alternative infrastructure, you're looking at similar costs involved in setting up the existing infrastructure. In this case, it is not justified.
The very authority can decide on that not anyone else.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Why cant they use some LINUX operating system ?
Linux is not significantly more secure than Windows.

The reason why there are less virus problems with Linux because it's usage in the home desktop, gaming and consumer media applications is limited compared to Windows.

It is not possible to build an OS that is 'hack-free'. Anyone who is making such claims is simply fooling the masses.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles