India to acquire 'x-band' radars

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
China is now not a serious threat to Unkil, rather they would keep it in israel to monitor the Iran and may be in japan to monitor the China. Also Taiwan is better deal than India to monitor China
China is threat to Uncle, as this is the only power which can challenge uncle in future. and the radar would be give good amount of courage of China specially its missile launch sites in Tibet.

Plus i have even posted what will happen if the radar courage is from Tiwan and South korea.

SHASH2K2

USA is selling THAAD to the UAE, it could be another future possiblity??

http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/sh...rates-ready-for-7B-THAAD-deal?highlight=THAAD
Problem here is that we dont want and we shouldn't be part of THAAD to get limited access to Xband. we will be paying too heavy price and we should not be submissive to USA for our security needs .
Its a catch 22 situation for us as for huge geographical area as ours we need Xband badly but we donot want to be part of THAAD as well.
May be we can strike a deal along with MCRA to get access to Xband Radars. There is no harm in trying .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Problem is US policy, their law will stop spare parts sale at will plus sanctions on future purchase. though the radar is defensive system. It the price is good and it is incorporated with our other radar and our security system (we dont want trojan horse type of software) then it is best buy.

We can share live feeds of the radar with USA.

JHA

If they want our radar to give Inputs to their central command visa satellite link to monitor china, yeah they will give us and even give two radar to be put on J&K and another on the north east of the country to monitor china.
They dont trust us that much to give us 2 X-band radars..Plus installing one in J&K and giving the base command in the hands of americans will have huge implications...They would rather give these to JAPAN who buys each and every thing America makes and pitches for sale...
I would rather opt for super-greenpine or,swordfish than being a stooge of US..

JHA

Problem is US policy, their law will stop spare parts sale at will plus sanctions on future purchase. though the radar is defensive system. It the price is good and it is incorporated with our other radar and our security system (we dont want trojan horse type of software) then it is best buy.

Forget sharing live feeds..if American X-band radar is purchased and installed , it will be operated by Americans not by us...so it will be them sharing feed with us not the other way around..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
They dont trust us that much to give us 2 X-band radars..Plus installing one in J&K and giving the base command in the hands of americans will have huge implications...They would rather give these to JAPAN who buys each and every thing America makes and pitches for sale...
I would rather opt for super-greenpine or,swordfish than being a stooge of US..
it appears that you are confusing with the concept of sharing the live data feeds with US with giving the base command in the hands of Americans. India is not pakistan that will allow foreign military persons to operate from its land or air that too in such important project.

this data sharing can be achieve by the satellite link.

Plus we can charge royalties for the data generated.

plugwater

Even the radar in Israel is operated by US forces and the radar which comes under THAAD deal with Saudi arabia also will be operated by US. So I don't think we will get this radar even if we get this radar US must want their men to operate the radar which we will not agree for sure. So the best option is to develop one ourselves or extend the swordfish radar to 5000km if its possible in future.

Country flag
If USA want complete coverage of China there is no way they can do this without cooperating with India in some practical way, USA has ok'd Phalcon AWAC for India and Obama has said he wants to expand space cooperation with India this will also have a military angle to it.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Forget sharing live feeds..if American X-band radar is purchased and installed , it will be operated by Americans not by us...so it will be them sharing feed with us not the other way around..
We wont be just purchasing radar from US that to be operated by Americans. Its like outsourcing our security. We would be buyer of the system & I don' think it'll be any hard for our engineers to diagnose it completely to understand tech we are missing.

JHA

If no Arrow or X band then we should definitely say no to Mrca Deal . We are getting better offer from France and Europe for this deal. Even planes are better.
US doesnot have problem with us having ARROW-1..in fact if i remember we already have ARROW-1..its ARROW-2 and its later blocks that US had vetoed in 2002...maybe its 8 years since then and a lot has changed since then so this time they wont veto this...but now we should try for ARROW-3...which imo is under development..

JHA

it appears that you are confusing with the concept of sharing the live data feeds with US with giving the base command in the hands of Americans. India is not pakistan that will allow foreign military persons to operate from its land or air that too in such important project.

this data sharing can be achieve by the satellite link.

Plus we can charge royalties for the data generated.
i totally understand what sharing feeds mean...
You are not aware of the secrecy US is maintaining regarding this radar..they are not allowing Israel to operate this..Its americans who are operating this in Israel and sharing live FEEDS with them...so it will be naive to think that they will allow us to operate one..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
US doesnot have problem with us having ARROW-1..in fact if i remember we already have ARROW-1..its ARROW-2 and its later blocks that US had vetoed in 2002...maybe its 8 years since then and a lot has changed since then so this time they wont veto this...but now we should try for ARROW-3...which imo is under development..
Do we have arrow 1 ???

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Even the radar in Israel is operated by US forces and the radar which comes under THAAD deal with Saudi arabia also will be operated by US. So I don't think we will get this radar even if we get this radar US must want their men to operate the radar which we will not agree for sure. So the best option is to develop one ourselves or extend the swordfish radar to 5000km if its possible in future.
Just extending swordfish range won't help. X-band gives much better resolution which i think swordfish might not be able to generate...

Also THAAD is not the best option for us. And if we are purchasing X-band, I'm afraid of the price tag. I agree with saya's view & would like to add further that We will have to trade this system with not just money but with other political/counter-deal exchanges...

plugwater

Our ballistic missile defense program is advanced than arrow -3. So why would we go for arrow-3 ?

Reactions: nrj

SHASH2K2

I think you are referring to Green pine RADAR system we got it form Israel. We need access to complete system . USA did block sale of missiles ie arrow Interceptor ,Though Israel indirectly helped us on RADAR front but If we can get access to all technology in latest Arrow 3 system that will be really good.I am also referring to Arrow 3 . Arrow is outdated now.

Last edited:

plugwater

Just extending swordfish range won't help. X-band gives much better resolution which i think swordfish might not be able to generate...

Also THAAD is not the best option for us. And if we are purchasing X-band, I'm afraid of the price tag. I agree with saya's view & would like to add further that We will have to trade this system with not just money but with other political/counter-deal exchanges...
Swordfish is a L-band radar i think. So is there any possibility we can develop a long range X-band radar ?
I never said we should buy THAAD system. I really doubt whether US will give this tech to us. This is their best radar its like selling F-22 to us.

SHASH2K2

Though we all would like to get complete control of such systems but as of now we can manage with required feed for our missile defence systems as well. we may keep on working to improve our own systems in parallel .

SHASH2K2

Swordfish is a L-band radar i think. So is there any possibility we can develop a long range X-band radar ?
I never said we should buy THAAD system. I really doubt whether US will give this tech to us. This is their best radar its like selling F-22 to us.
Wait for a year or two. more stronger China becomes more and more system and techs will be offered directly or indirectly to us to create a counterweight . Everything is possible in Love and war.

JHA

Price does not matter in this case..although it was speculated to cost $750 mil....but i would not complain if they give us in $1 bil. or, even $1.5 bil...

BTW i am back after 6 months.. level of discussion has improved a lot here..thanks to you guys..i plan to come more often now..

Reactions: nrj

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles