India successfully tests submarine launched ballistic missile K-15/B05

arunpat

Re: India successfully tests submarine launched ballistic missile

'Missile man' cried after successful launch from under sea
Bay of Bengal: India successfully tested its submarine-based ballistic missile capability by launching it from deep inside the Bay of Bengal. This system has been in the making for the last 20 years and Sunday's launch was the fourteenth consecutively successful launch of this unique system.

The missile has been designed and perfected by AK Chakrabarty, the Director of the Defence Research and Development Laboratory, Hyderabad, which is the mother facility for India's Integrated Missile Development Programme. This launch was particularly poignant for Mr Chakrabarty as he has been involved with this project since its very inception, and now within a few hours of the last developmental launch, he is retiring after many decades of glorious service to the nation.

When NDTV caught up with him seconds after the launch was declared successful, Mr Chakrabarty's eyes had welled up. On being asked, he said, "this is my swan song and these are tears of joy and ecstasy. The launch could not have been better than this."
Mr Chakrabarty is extremely well loved and respected by his young team of scientists who celebrated Sunday's success by hoisting him up on their shoulders and dancing around.

Scientists are usually very well composed, but here they let their emotions loose and danced on the deck of the ship. They even cut a large cake; sweets were shared with great gusto. Mr Chakrabarty says he has learnt the art of missile making by the hands of India's original missile man, former President APJ Abdul Kalam. He also saluted the leadership and team spirit which was instilled in the missile complex of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) by Mr Kalam. Mr Chakrabarty says he feels the next big challenge would be to test the missile when it is incorporated on INS Arihant in the next few months. And he hopes that the continuous success will lead to an early deployment of the weapons system.

The missile now gives India the unique capability to hide its nuclear weapons deep under the sea and launch at will. This is a much-needed deterrent capability since it provides a potent and stable second strike capability to India. Mr Chakrabarty gave all the credit to his team of about 200 youngsters who made this mission possible. "I leave this position with the sense of satisfaction that India's security is in safe hands," Chakrabarty said.

'Missile man' cried after successful launch from under sea | NDTV.com

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

'Missile man' cried after successful launch from under sea
Bay of Bengal: India successfully tested its submarine-based ballistic missile capability by launching it from deep inside the Bay of Bengal. This system has been in the making for the last 20 years and Sunday's launch was the fourteenth consecutively successful launch of this unique system.

The missile has been designed and perfected by AK Chakrabarty, the Director of the Defence Research and Development Laboratory, Hyderabad, which is the mother facility for India's Integrated Missile Development Programme. This launch was particularly poignant for Mr Chakrabarty as he has been involved with this project since its very inception, and now within a few hours of the last developmental launch, he is retiring after many decades of glorious service to the nation.

When NDTV caught up with him seconds after the launch was declared successful, Mr Chakrabarty's eyes had welled up. On being asked, he said, "this is my swan song and these are tears of joy and ecstasy. The launch could not have been better than this."
Mr Chakrabarty is extremely well loved and respected by his young team of scientists who celebrated Sunday's success by hoisting him up on their shoulders and dancing around.

Scientists are usually very well composed, but here they let their emotions loose and danced on the deck of the ship. They even cut a large cake; sweets were shared with great gusto. Mr Chakrabarty says he has learnt the art of missile making by the hands of India's original missile man, former President APJ Abdul Kalam. He also saluted the leadership and team spirit which was instilled in the missile complex of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) by Mr Kalam. Mr Chakrabarty says he feels the next big challenge would be to test the missile when it is incorporated on INS Arihant in the next few months. And he hopes that the continuous success will lead to an early deployment of the weapons system.

The missile now gives India the unique capability to hide its nuclear weapons deep under the sea and launch at will. This is a much-needed deterrent capability since it provides a potent and stable second strike capability to India. Mr Chakrabarty gave all the credit to his team of about 200 youngsters who made this mission possible. "I leave this position with the sense of satisfaction that India's security is in safe hands," Chakrabarty said.

'Missile man' cried after successful launch from under sea | NDTV.com
Mr Chakrabarty and his team :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Cross Posting: (http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/strategic-forces/31364-indian-icbm-slbm-their-warheads.html#post414874)

Not trying to question your I-quotient sir but you can test various subsystems of K-15 on Prithvi (?).
No IMO. The most critical part of an SLBM is the underwater to the over water phase till the rocket ignites after coming out of the water. Rest of the missile tech is something we have mastered over the years. So what sub system will the Prithvi test?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

bhramos launched by submerged submarine would be a force multiplier

Joji

Great. All should say great work and thanks to Mr Chakrabarty and his team and of course Missile Man, people prez, Mr. Kalam.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

We can have 50 of these at subs and ships and 50 at our ponds and territorial waters are good enough to deter two front war.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Have any country ever used permanent underwater pontoons as launch sites for SLBM/SLCM? For Mainland defense or for defense of offshore assets?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Defence reporting is pathetic in India. Since yesterday they have used all kinds of names for the missile K15, K4, BO5, K5. One report said the missile has been tested 10 times, one said 12 and another said 14. In fact same news group has changed stories running with all the above that I have listed.

The way they report it, everything is attributed to Saraswat. They are simply creating confusion in the minds of people.

At the end of the day it was no new missile. It was the K15 Sagarika that we all know about. Range is700 kms. Altitude achieved was 20kms which means its a quasi ballistic missile.

We still await a game changer which is a much longer range K4 of 3500 kms range and eventually an IC range SLBM.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Defence reporting is pathetic in India. Since yesterday they have used all kinds of names for the missile K15, K4, BO5, K5. One report said the missile has been tested 10 times, one said 12 and another said 14. In fact same news group has changed stories running with all the above that I have listed.

The way they report it, everything is attributed to Saraswat. They are simply creating confusion in the minds of people.

At the end of the day it was no new missile. It was the K15 Sagarika that we all know about. Range is700 kms. Altitude achieved was 20kms which means its a quasi ballistic missile.

We still await a game changer which is a much longer range K4 of 3500 kms range and eventually an IC range SLBM.
Yeah kinda confusing... I read it about 1500 kms and I some says ts 700 kms.Is it a ploy of Saraswat to keep enemy confused? :lol:

Also somewhere I notice HT reporting in "International Page" about wrong stats about military/defense etc.Seems like they simply copy-paste stuff and dont even bother to check.For example Tanks of India and Pak were put almost same(about 3500) and once the standing Indian Army was put as 1.3 million(the 1.3 actually included Army+AF+Navy)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

No Saraswat is not confusing anyone it's the stupid journos who know no schit and print anything without making any sense.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is the submarine based version of shaurya missile imho

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

This is the submarine based version of shaurya missile imho

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
It is. I think it's the other way round. K15 came first and then Shaurya.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Yusuf, name was changed to confuse the those who want to get info about our project (C-I-A). It was tested 10 times as SLBM and land version 4 times so total tests are 14. In 2011 they started production of this missile and yesterday test was final developmental test.

BTW Sagarika/K15/B05 are all name of same missile.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: India successfully tests submarine launched ballistic missile BO-5

looks like gas generator is build into the missile

red part must be gas generator and blue part is first stage

what is most interesting is the fact that Shaurya missile has same cold launch gas generator to get the missile out of launch tube.

arkem8

Country flag
Re: India successfully tests submarine launched ballistic missile K-5/

Video from Info and Broadcasting ministry

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles