India's Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Weapons

NeXoft007

Country flag
What today's test of ASAT-1000 signifies from my point of view...

1. The booster is from 1st stage Agni 4 *but* upgraded to be launched from cannister, which apparently means Agni 4 Mk. II booster mated on ASAT is successfully demonstrated coz A4 Mk. 2 is designed to be launched from cannister.

2. The kill vehicle for ASAT-1000 is AD-2, which points out that upper section of AD-2 Anti-Ballistic Missile is also successfully demonstrated.

3. Today's test is just a technology demonstration of ASAT capability. The AD-2 KV onboard ASAT-1000 have RF + IIR Seeker & ASAT-1000 is fully capable to destroy satellites with a velocity of upto 8 km/s at LEO and in SSO, which means, upto 900km.

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

So this is why my cable TV was down all day. Does anyone know Rahul G's contact no, need to inform him about this sochi samjhi election sazish....

On serious note - congratulations to the folks of the DRDO. These guys get lot of brickbat, for the right or wrong reasons, but when it comes to missile technology, they are second to none...

P. S - will there be a follow up test?

Hari Sud

Country flag
No need to be clandestine about it.
Chinese did it twice openly. USA had to suck it up. We must simply explode few satellites.

I am against debris in space but to teach chinese a lesson it is imperative that we go reckless.

The only problem of our strategic program historically has been that we are way too practical and restrained.

At least now with this can we please be a little reckless.:devil::devil:

Then we can organize a world congregation towards peaceful use of space .:blah:

Exploding your adversary’s space asset is declaration of war. Chinese exploded their own assets which were in the orbit and they knew the exact trajectory, hence hitting was easy. For them to hit an adversary satellite will be starting a war plus if they fail then they become a laughing stock and loose the war before it began.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Was there a NOTAM in this? ............

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
When China tested ASAT - satellite was orbiting 861 km above earth.
Is this difference significant from technology capability ,where we shot down satellite above 300 km, perspective ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What today's test of ASAT-1000 signifies from my point of view...

1. The booster is from 1st stage Agni 4 *but* upgraded to be launched from cannister, which apparently means Agni 4 Mk. II booster mated on ASAT is successfully demonstrated coz A4 Mk. 2 is designed to be launched from cannister.

2. The kill vehicle for ASAT-1000 is AD-2, which points out that upper section of AD-2 Anti-Ballistic Missile is also successfully demonstrated.

3. Today's test is just a technology demonstration of ASAT capability. The AD-2 KV onboard ASAT-1000 have RF + IIR Seeker & ASAT-1000 is fully capable to destroy satellites with a velocity of upto 8 km/s at LEO and in SSO, which means, upto 900km.
True Nex....................................................................................:biggrin2:

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
When China tested ASAT - satellite was orbiting 861 km above earth.
Is this difference significant from technology capability ,where we shot down satellite above 300 km, perspective ?
I guess some tweet said that we can target SSO orbit,900 kms also with this weapon. So its been taken care of.

indiatester

Country flag
I guess some tweet said that we can target SSO orbit,900 kms also with this weapon. So its been taken care of.
@Hiranyaksha additionally if you take out a satellite so high, the debris created in space would be a problem for a long time. That would have played its part in the decision to take out this micro satellite at this height and not something else.

indiatester

Country flag
Let me add the KV is fully autonomous interms of maneuverability once ejected , it has integrated thrusters for end game maneuvering in space independent of final release trajectory.
A video would be lovely, don't you think?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles