India studying NATO offer on joining missile programme

Should India join NATO missile shield or not?

• Yes India should join

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No India should not join

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
To begin with, co-operation is likely to be merely symbolic. It is not clear what parameters are being envisaged by Nato for co-operation with India. It is also not readily evident what India brings to the table — technically, there is not much India can offer. Politically, it's merely symbolic, at least at this juncture.
i think author has forgotten the part where India is geographically placed wherein it can monitor large part of China and whole of Pakistani, which is one of the future missile launch areas against NATO. Any long range radar site in India which can monitor both of them will be of great advantage to NATO and India.

SpArK

SORCERER
i think author has forgotten the part where India is geographically placed wherein it can monitor large part of China and whole of Pakistani, which is one of the future missile launch areas against NATO. Any long range radar site in India which can monitor both of them will be of great advantage to NATO and India.
I guess we should consider this for technical know how and to piss off the adversaries...

It has the potential for a huge psychological advantage over them.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
spark we have all the building block for such a system (i am talking about one to counter 2000-3000km range missile).This happen when India made PARAM, US started offering its super computers to India with obvious intentions, before that even weather computer was denied to us

Let see what is on the table, do go with what ever paid authors are going to say, we have to ask what is on offer, if they are willing to share tech to intercept 6000 km missile, with radar tech and sensors, yes we are interested. (but be very careful this will be good bye to our AD1 and AD2 future missile defence system.

SpArK

SORCERER
spark we have all the building block for such a system (i am talking about one to counter 2000-3000km range missile).This happen when India made PARAM, US started offering its super computers to India with obvious intentions, before that even weather computer was denied to us

Let see what is on the table, do go with what ever paid authors are going to say, we have to ask what is on offer, if they are willing to share tech to intercept 6000 km missile, with radar tech and sensors, yes we are interested. (but be very careful this will be good bye to our AD1 and AD2 future missile defence system.

The days of direct conflict is over.. I believe in more into getting psychological advantage over enemies.

A shield can really really piss off them. An indigenous project may not have that effect even if is better than what NATO offers.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The days of direct conflict is over.. I believe in more into getting psychological advantage over enemies.

A shield can really really piss off them. An indigenous project may not have that effect even if is better than what NATO offers.
Spark what you are saying is true, but again we are most to lose, as NATO is miles away from any missile target, where as China and Pakistan are at our door step, already Pakistan has changed its nuclear doctrine without announcement it is increasing its nukes at alarming rate, not because of anything, other then our missile defence tests, if that be the case and in future China too have such feeling of insecurity about its nukes they would also increase their nukes and delivery arsenal at alarming rate (kind of different kind of arms race) therefore we are to lose in some way, but again, if tech is shared with us, is of the same level which is fielded by USA, then it is worth a look (but no screw driver TOT) plus we have to continue our R&D.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
We should not even touch with a barge pole.

All the talk of self reliance would go out of the nearest window if we jump into this farce.

Never shall we trust anyone with our security than ourselves.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
NATO's missile defence offer to India: Nothing to lose

NATO's missile defence offer to India: Nothing to lose

October 09, 2011

Last month, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation or Nato invited India to become a partner in its missile defence programme, identifying the technology of missile defence as an area for co-operation.

Both Nato and India face similar ballistic missile threats. There has been steady growth in the range and accuracy of ballistic missiles on the perimeter of Nato as well Indian borders. Measures such as export controls, devised under the Missile Technology Control Regime, have not prevented these programmes from maturing even as arms control efforts have failed. As a result, both Nato and India have resorted to missile defence to address the challenges posed by missile proliferation. In November 2010 at the Lisbon summit, Nato adopted its new strategic concept called "Active Engagement, Modern Defence". It outlined the Alliance's approach to emerging security challenges. The document underscores the commitment to defend Nato members' populations and territories against ballistic missile threats. Missile defence is critical to realising this commitment.

---- More at @ http://www.business-standard.com/in...efence-offer-to-india-nothing-to-lose/451882/

JayATL

Great article by the business standardd. smarter minds see it as a win win for india. Thank god!

else IF we assume the same logic as the naysayers -then why buy into MMRCA when you have a LCA program? afterall if NATO shield is accepted than means the demise of the BMD program - per that logic. go figure...

Sri lanka, Bangladesh should be offered the NATO shield instead... then watch the hue and cry from the 1% janta...NATO is going to get their shield in this region...in this decade or next. Might as well be India and the envy of all in this region. Awacs was game changer for the longest when Pak got it in the 80's/ 90's. It's not so much as India getting as it somebody else in its neighbourhood...win win and great win for India IMO.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Great article by the business standardd. smarter minds see it as a win win for india. Thank god!

else IF we assume the same logic as the naysayers -then why buy into MMRCA when you have a LCA program? afterall if NATO shield is accepted than means the demise of the BMD program - per that logic. go figure...

Sri lanka, Bangladesh should be offered the NATO shield instead... then watch the hue and cry from the 1% janta...NATO is going to get their shield in this region...in this decade or next. Might as well be India and the envy of all in this region. Awacs was game changer for the longest when Pak got it in the 80's/ 90's. It's not so much as India getting as it somebody else in its neighbourhood...win win and great win for India IMO.
lol sri lanka and bangladesh....

nato will have squat.

JayATL

lol sri lanka and bangladesh....

nato will have squat.
why is that? do you know what a shield is? They need regional coverage ...sri lanka and bangladesh are excellent locations... - any of those countries would jump to be US's new best bud in the region. You know they would--- they envy India's relationship .

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
why is that? do you know what a shield is? They need regional coverage ...sri lanka and bangladesh are excellent locations... - any of those countries would jump to be US's new best bud in the region. You know they would--- they envy India's relationship .
and they would be shielded from whom ? who is threatening them ?

by shielding sri lanka and bangladesh you will make India move further away.

where does envy come into it ? id be disgusted if we had a nato shield.

JayATL

Even he Left out Paki !!!LOL
LOL LOL LOL you see all those O between L's? thats what I imagine the null between your ears.:p

I see the mention of Sri Lanka and bangladesh is getting the nervous LOL's coming out :D Pak would die to get the NATO shield- fact.
won't happen but if we are discuss " facts" vs LOL's, pak will give all out access to its balouch lands that the US covets for a nato shield.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
The only issue I have is, I wouldn't put it past them to squeeze in some backdoor into whatever hardware they provide us. I am not sure if the USA can truly be a 100% faithful ally of a non-AngloSaxon nation like India. I shall be satisfied when the USA proves its 100% commitment to India. Till then, I would be very cautious.

trackwhack

Jay, why you so totally full of bull man? Bangladesh and Sri Lanka? Who next? Singapore and Brunei? And then you start slandering everyone! Some one lock this thread. Its been nothing but nonsense all the way through.

SPIEZ

Country flag
LOL LOL LOL you see all those O between L's? thats what I imagine the null between your ears.:p

I see the mention of Sri Lanka and bangladesh is getting the nervous LOL's coming out :D Pak would die to get the NATO shield- fact.
won't happen but if we are discuss " facts" vs LOL's, pak will give all out access to its balouch lands that the US covets for a nato shield.
who's nervous buddy ?????

BTW the O's between your ears told you to sell them srilanka and bangladesh which faces nearly no missile threat ?????

FUNNY

JayATL

and they would be shielded from whom ? who is threatening them ?

by shielding sri lanka and bangladesh you will make India move further away.

where does envy come into it ? id be disgusted if we had a nato shield.
Your post above- apparently you dont know what a shield is... and what's NATO's purpose( shield). Why do you bother to debate me? I mean - your single minded personal agenda against the US is apparent- it is in the minority when " smarter minds" discuss the NATO shield. But even so why debate topics you have no clue about?

I dont debate military hardware but in rare occasions because I know there are way more smarter, well informed posters on that subject here. Why do you debate on topics you apparently have no clue about- only come in because like a bull sees red you see anything " america" on it and come in blind.

JayATL

who's nervous buddy ?????

BTW the O's between your ears told you to sell them srilanka and bangladesh which faces nearly no missile threat ?????

FUNNY
another classic " quantity poster"... you and messiah have no freaking clue, not an iota , not zilch- not nothing ---- no clue about what the shield is or Nato's purpose behind it. Did you two ever stop to " think" why they are even ccepting Russia to be a part of it.. nah that would mean thinking beyond one liners and mind numbing dumb anti US propoganda.

SPIEZ

Country flag
why don't you enlighten us with your supreme theories of NATO shield jayATL.

Except for the statement that Russia is joining it. SO most countries too should join it

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles