India studying NATO offer on joining missile programme

Should India join NATO missile shield or not?

• Yes India should join

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No India should not join

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trackwhack

Let me educate you about numbers - Yes trillions- because the shield is not about only tests, its about mass production, deployment costs, yearly maintaince costs, overhead costs, manpower costs, continued R&d costs. So yes Trillions over time, biggest hit being intially ... and btw- if you dont like my tone- just dont bother replying ... stop crying me a river on every reply about it.
mmm ... ok

JayATL

i think you guys are forgetting most important point last time when we needed this BMD, we approached whole world(those who make it) and found that non of the system suits our need, therefore we made our own.
who did you approach? there is only one true shield deployed ( comprehensive) that is the NATO shield. I know on a lower level (as in not comprehensive shield) India wants the David sling from Isreal but Isreal wont give a TOT on it.

SPIEZ

Country flag
who did you approach? there is only one true shield deployed ( comprehensive) that the NAto shield. I know on a lower level (as in not comprehensive shield) India wants the David sling from Isreal but Isreal wont give a TOT on it.
What dude, David sling does not even meet our requirements. We are working together with them for the MR-SAM also called BARAK 8. check your source before you post.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
3-4 years? : rofl: you are just doing testing phase now. but u think you are covered in 3-4 years. all excited about some tests being sucessful...

You cant afford continued testing ? Hmmm... you dont have to deploy/ mass produce it it but you have it all tested out and benchmarked against a NATO shield.

Russai is joining the NATO shield. Russia joins Nato missile defence shield - Channel 4 News
What is there to ROFL?. It is a fact that Indian BMD is being observed with keen interest by all western powers and its success so far has heart burning to others. If you go by the concerned people involved in developing the Indian BMD, the phase-I BMD will be deployed for one city within 3 years and phase-II by 2016.

Read this

Phased Development and Deployment

DRDO Chief V.K. Saraswat told the press on March 21, 2010, that the Ballistic Missile System is being developed in two phases under a capability based deployment plan.

In the first phase, which is currently underway, DRDO will develop and deploy a system for defense against missiles with less than 2,000 km range like Pakistan's Ghauri and Shaheen missiles and China's solid-fuel Dongfeng-21 (NATO designation: CSS-5).

In the second phase, system capability will be upgraded to defend against missiles with ranges greater than 2,000 km that can additionally deploy decoys or maneuver.

The Phase 2 system will require longer range radars (Detection range of 1,500km as opposed to 600 km for Phase 1 radars), and new hypersonic interceptor missiles flying at Mach 6-7 (As opposed to Mach 4-5 for Phase 1 missiles) with agility and the capability to discriminate against ballistic missile defence counter measures.

"Our effort is to have interception at very high altitudes, and the entire system will be able to handle multiple, simultaneous attacks," Saraswat said.

Deployment Timeline

In August, 2011, Dr Avinash Chander, DRDO's Chief Controller for Missiles and Strategic Systems, told the Business Standard, "We can deploy an effective ABM system for a single city within 3 years from now. We can definitely ensure the safety of one city in that time frame. After that, the [ABM shield for] other cities will follow."

DRDO Chief V.K. Saraswat had told the press on March 21, 2010 that Phase 1 could be deplyed in two years and Phase 2 by 2016.
And regarding the russians joining NATO BMD is just talk. Remind me when something concrete takes place.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
who did you approach?
USA, Russia and Israel. In 1999. Plus what ever is needed for missile defence for upon 3000 km is already been under development. We did good job so far. Let see what is on offer.

JayATL

USA, Russia and Israel. In 1999. Plus what ever is needed for missile defence for upon 3000 km is already been under development. We did good job so far. Let see what is on offer.
Please show where there was a missle shield in 1999 ( comprehensive). and articles showing India approached any of the countries asking for it?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
And also Mr. JayATL please tell us the success rate of interception of this NATO BMD.

The Indian BMD Phase-I which comprises the integrated exo and endo-atmospheric system offers a hit-to-kill probability of 99.8 per cent.

So, please enlighten us with the NATO BMD systems capabilities.

SPIEZ

Country flag
yes and? Its whining about where it is positioned i.e.is it positioned more to stop russain missiles than say Iran. Its just " leaverage games" being played on the location of the shield.
It means Russia might not support much less join this Anti-missile pact.

JayATL

What is there to ROFL?. It is a fact that Indian BMD is being observed with keen interest by all western powers and its success so far has heart burning to others. If you go by the concerned people involved in developing the Indian BMD, the phase-I BMD will be deployed for one city within 3 years and phase-II by 2016.

Read this

And regarding the russians joining NATO BMD is just talk. Remind me when something concrete takes place.
Great, lets see from LOL Russia join NATO shield( reaction) TO now 'well remeind me when something concrete takes place'. like a signing of the deal is not concrete ;)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Please show where there was a missle shield in 1999 ( comprehensive). and articles showing India approached any of the countries asking for it?
true, but again they are not asking us to come in their shield, they are asking us to be partner, (partner can be anything minor partner, or sleeping partner, can it be funding partner also). Google it you will find info about this at the time of Kargil war and after that.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
The Indian BMD Phase-I which comprises the integrated exo and endo-atmospheric system offers a hit-to-kill probability of 99.8 per cent.

So, please enlighten us with the NATO BMD systems capabilities.
[SARCASM]
Since its American it would OBVIOUSLY be more accurate than 99.8%,show us an iota critical thinking and attempt to triumph this logic.
[/SARCASM]

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Funny part is Indian govt missed you memo on it...
NATO missile defence have some good part like their radar and sensors, so it wont be bad idea to looks at the offer, at get max out without giving anything important for national interest. Like we can have their radar in India and we can share feeds with NATO.

JayATL

See - this forum fortunately is not the Indian govt.

Smart thinking says: Hmm, tons of countries under NATO shield, even the arch rival Russia has signed on!" -- There can't be any more proof of how comprehensive and effective the shield is- certainly US did not hoodwink over what 60/80 countries? Perhaps we should take a look at it- could save us money and we could work on our shield if need be too...

Forum posters thinking is " Hmm US / NATO wtf US/ NATO! we have 100 times better, we are smarter than sum total of those countries strategic thinking! US NATO- what if turn it off? "

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Great, lets see from LOL Russia join NATO shield( reaction) TO now 'well remeind me when something concrete takes place'. like a signing of the deal is not concrete ;)
The problem is you go by title of the news and I go by the substance of the news. Where did that news say that they have signed the deal about the joint BMD. Here is what it says

Nato leaders agreed on Friday to set up the missile defence shield system to protect the territory of all Nato member states, and invited Russia to join when President Dmitry Medvedev arrived at the summit today.
And when did inviting became equated to signing the deal? :laugh:

Here is another latest article for your reading pleasure as to the status of this deal which is going nowhere.
Countdown Begins on NATO-Russia BMD Deal

Russia's envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, has set a timer in motion for resolving the outstanding differences between the North Atlantic alliance and Russia over a proposed ballistic missile defense system in Europe. Since the architecture for this shield is expected to be finalized at the May 2012 NATO summit in Chicago, Rogozin said that time is running out to determine what role, if any, Russia will play in the system. "Our current dialogue on missile defense is very difficult," Rogozin said, "but we must finally either agree or disagree by the end of this year." If not, Rogozin warns that Russia may be forced to develop its own measures, which could raise tensions between Russia and the West and seriously impact the measurable improvement in relations between the U.S. and Russia that has occurred during the first terms of the Obama and Medvedev administrations.

As always, it is the continuing lack of trust between both sides that torpedoes all efforts to find a workable solution. The West wants Russian participation but does not want to give Moscow anything that would amount to veto power over how such a system could be used. This is the basis for NATO's insistence on two separate missile defense complexes -- one run by NATO, one run by Russia -- that would coordinate their activities but remain under separate management. By contrast, Russia favors a single, unified approach. ...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles