India selects EF, Rafale for MMRCA shortlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthSniper

If this is true, good news to see the Eurofighter (my favorite) and the Rafale in the mix also. I'm glad the sanction prone, strings attached, handicapped F-18 and F-16 are not in the running, but I wish the beautiful Mig-35 had a chance to be in the final stage of competition. All in all, it's a win-win situation for India.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/your-firms-are-out-of-fighter-contract-fray-india-tells-us/782696/
Your firms are out of fighter contract fray, India tells US

It is learnt that the two US contenders — the F-16IN Super Viper and the F/A-18 Super Hornet — did not match up in technical trials. In fact, sources indicated that only the French Rafale and Eurofighter were the two to have made it to the next round and have been invited to extend their commercial bids for further negotiations. The other two contenders were the Russian MiG-35 and the Swedish Gripen.
The Defence Ministry is committed to complete the entire negotiation process by March next. Going by that deadline, any decision based on the technical evaluation process would have had to be taken before the expiry of the commercial bids.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Thanks LF saar, but as IAF asked, the missile should get mid course guidance also. Just wanted to be sure that French should not push for MICA :D
It will get MICA, it is high off-boresight dogfighting missile as well as BVRAAM. Far better than ASRAAM.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It will get MICA, it is high off-boresight dogfighting missile as well as BVRAAM. Far better than ASRAAM.
So French does not like Meteor :), that will be interesting

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Two different purposes. METEOR is long range while MICA is short-medium. It will carry both.
Armand, sorry may be I was not clear in my question. My point is as IAF is looking for new BVR missiles with mid course correction capabilities. So does French have that integration in place with Meteor. If this works, then it will be a real good addition.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Armand, sorry may be I was not clear in my question. My point is as IAF is looking for new BVR missiles with mid course correction capabilities. So does French have that integration in place with Meteor. If this works, then it will be a real good addition.
Of course it comes with data links... even MICA has them.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Very good news. Lets the wait over soon both are good planes and IAF has shown that they do not need American planes and strings attached with it.

Parthy

Air Warrior
will EF's super-cruise capability have an edge over selecting Rafale? having a super-cruise capability will reduce the factor of carrying more fuel fraction!!!

p2prada

India is standardizing on the Aim-132 on the Mirage-2000.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
India is standardizing on the Aim-132 on the Mirage-2000.
P2, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Mirage deal is not finalised, so what chance you see that France clubs up MRCA + Mirage replacement with Rafale

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
will EF's super-cruise capability have an edge over selecting Rafale? having a super-cruise capability will reduce the factor of carrying more fuel fraction!!!
EF can't super-cruise with a combat load so it makes no difference.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
P2, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Mirage deal is not finalised, so what chance you see that France clubs up MRCA + Mirage replacement with Rafale
Very high.................................

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think when it comes to commercial consideration, Rafale will win hands down based just of the fly away cost. But now that these two have been identified as technically compliant with IAF demands, India will weigh options of leveraging this deal in Europe. What can be gained from it. If we go with the EF, it makes many more countries happy, plus EF has some good offset plan as well as joint development/partner for future development.
The french have got the Mirage deal to be happy about plus the submarines.
For me among these two, it would be advisable to go with the EF. OTOH, Rafale could hold the edge for being carrier capable.
one thing is for sure, european arms industry would be celebrating today.

Patriot

Country flag
American COs' response.

Lockheed has not yet commented to the Star-Telegram. A Boeing spokesman said he had not heard anything official from his corporate ranks.

But Washington defense analyst Loren Thompson, who has many good sources in the world of defense contractors, said he has heard similar but unofficial reports.

"My understanding is the F-16 and F/A-18 have both been disqualified by India," Thompson said. "It may just be a negotiating tactic. They've (India) done stuff like this before."

India has for years been tantalizing fighter jet manufacturers with its plans to spend something on the order of $10 billion to buy 126 Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft.

Last edited:

Anshu Attri

Country flag
EF, Rafale to extend MMRCA bids' validity to year-end

http://www.stratpost.com/ef-rafale-to-extend-mmrca-bids-validity-to-year-end?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+stratpost+%28StratPost%29

The Indian Ministry of Defense has asked the European Eurofighter Typhoon consortium and the French Dassault to extend the validity of their commercial bids for the Indian Air Force (IAF) tender for 126 Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) tender till December 31, 2011.

StratPost reported the formation of an effective shortlist for the tender, on Wednesday, with the ministry issuing letters to the two aircraft companies, inviting them to extend the validity of their commercial bids.

The other contenders for the order, Boeing, pitching its F/A-18 Super Hornet, Lockheed Martin, with its F-16, SAAB, with its Gripen and the Russian United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), offering its MiG-35, were also sent letters informing them of the individual grounds for their failing to pass the IAF's technical evaluation.

ganesh177

Country flag
Well, SAAB has expressed disappointment officially on there site.
American ambasador resigns and there is some reaction as well.

But nothing from russians. So is it that they are just content with su-30 and pakfa deal, or they dont like to express themselves. May be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles