India Requests Harpoon II Missiles

chex3009

Country flag

Sometimes, an order request is just an order request. Sometimes, as seen in Singapore, it amounts to more than that. In September 2008, the US DSCA announced India's official request to buy a package of 24 L-model Harpoon Block II ship-killing missiles, with added GPS guidance and littoral/ land attack capabilities, for up to $170 million.

India's rival Pakistan is already arming its P-3 Orions with AGM-84Ls, so regional stability wasn't an issue, but the exact match for India's missiles remained a mystery for a while. The order seemed to presage a buy of P-8i Sea Control and Surveillance aircraft, and India did indeed end up choosing Boeing's 737 derivative. In September 2010, however, reports indicated that the deal was really focused on India's fleet of Jaguar IM strike aircraft. Now, in 2010, comes a request specifically aimed at India's forthcoming P-8is"¦

Contracts & Key Events

Dec 21/10: The US DSCA announces [PDF] India's formal request for up to 21 AGM-84L Harpoon Block II Missiles, 5 ATM-84L Block II Training Missiles, Captive Air Training Missiles, containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, and related U.S. Government and contractor support. The estimated cost is up to $200 million, and this request is very explicit about their use:

"India intends to use the missiles on its Indian Navy P-8I Neptune maritime patrol aircraft which will provide enhanced capabilities in effective defense of critical sea lines of communication. India has already purchased HARPOON Block II missiles for integration on the Indian Air Force Jaguar aircraft and will have no difficulty absorbing these weapons into its armed forces."

The P-8i is known as the Poseidon in the USA – "Neptune" was the Roman name for the same Greek deity. The prime contractors will be The Boeing Company in St. Louis, MO, and Delex Systems Incorporated in Vienna, VA. Implementation of this proposed sale will require annual trips to India involving U.S. Government and contractor representatives for technical reviews, support, and oversight on for approximately 5 years. Details of a potential industrial offset agreement in connection with the proposed sale were not known when the DSCA made the announcement.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/India-Requests-Harpoon-II-Missiles-05064/

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
why in the world would india want to buy Harpoon II?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the bhramos air launched missile which will be inducted in iaf by 2012-2013 has better range,speed,manueverability has these obsolete subsonic harpoons.in other words these bhramos is a much,much better missile than harpoon and this deal is a huge loss to taxpayers money.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Typical excuse for commission to be taken by babus. They know jolly well that BrahMos is a far superior missile in every way and can easily fit the IN's requirements for this role. Despite this, they bought the Harpoon IIs to fill the already rich US coffers and earn some crores at the cost of tax payers' money.

What's worse is that we civilians don't have a panel or an established body like Anti-Corruption Bureau to demand an account for how the defence money is being spent. Heck even the military doesn't have the right to question these babu slimeballs. :angry_7:

sandeepdg

There's nothing so extraordinary about the Harpoons actually, more than 22 countries already use it and it is similar to the Exocet which is used by another 30 countries, the SSN-25 and the British Sea Eagle. The Brahmos is way ahead of their league.

Country flag
Brahmos is a better missile but why spend 3 million when you can do the same thing cheaper with harpoons, also a salvo of harpoons would be much cheaper than 1 brahmos.

sandeepdg

Brahmos is a better missile but why spend 3 million when you can do the same thing cheaper with harpoons, also a salvo of harpoons would be much cheaper than 1 brahmos.
Yeah, that's true, but then we need it in huge quantities and not just a handful !!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Dude, babus will keep giving excuses to reduce indigenous capability and keep buying firangi maal. It is a very common thing. Raptor costs a bomb still USA didn't scrap it for the sake of the multinational JSF or a cheaper spinoff from it for USA's local help. This is what is the meaning of promoting local R&D through inductions and massive purchases. Otherwise all our projects will end up to be cases like Arjun MK1. Token purchases.

We are Rank 4 in terms of military might and power but we are a Token Purchase Power. The other 3 ranks above us are at least 80% self reliant while we are not even 30% self-reliant with a full margin.

Country flag
Dude, babus will keep giving excuses to reduce indigenous capability and keep buying firangi maal. It is a very common thing. Raptor costs a bomb still USA didn't scrap it for the sake of the multinational JSF or a cheaper spinoff from it for USA's local help. This is what is the meaning of promoting local R&D through inductions and massive purchases. Otherwise all our projects will end up to be cases like Arjun MK1. Token purchases.

We are Rank 4 in terms of military might and power but we are a Token Purchase Power. The other 3 ranks above us are at least 80% self reliant while we are not even 30% self-reliant with a full margin.
This is exactly why I asked what will happen to the LAHAT and HELINA for LCH ??I am almost certain that Hellfires will go on LCH too and these two missiles are history.

sandeepdg

Same old excuses, folks ! Giving local R&D a kick, going in for western hardware, swindling money and making profit by kickbacks and favors, and finally giving lame excuses to the public, same principle followed every time by the government ! Some country we live in, bhai log ! :angry_10:

sandeepdg

Also LF, I would like to add that once mass production picks up, the prices will surely drop, I suppose. And, also there's the difference in technology, since Brahmos is much sophisticated than the Harpoons and Exocets, that means obviously it will be more expensive than the other two. And, even if it doesn't, let's say the price price stays at 3 million USD for a single missile, and suppose the 3 forces combines want to buy around 1000 of these missiles for the time being, that adds up to 3 billion dollars spread over say 5-7 years if the production rate is increased from the current 50, so is 3 billion dollars spread over 5 years too big a price to pay when we are acquiring probably the most advanced missile in the world ? And the string of scams coming out of the closet one after the other, has cost the exchequer anything between 5-40 billion USD !

Country flag
Also LF, I would like to add that once mass production picks up, the prices will surely drop, I suppose. And, also there's the difference in technology, since Brahmos is much sophisticated than the Harpoons and Exocets, that means obviously it will be more expensive than the other two. And, even if it doesn't, let's say the price price stays at 3 million USD for a single missile, and suppose the 3 forces combines want to buy around 1000 of these missiles for the time being, that adds up to 3 billion dollars spread over say 5-7 years if the production rate is increased from the current 50, so is 3 billion dollars spread over 5 years too big a price to pay when we are acquiring probably the most advanced missile in the world ? And the string of scams coming out of the closet one after the other, has cost the exchequer anything between 5-40 billion USD !
More than the price is the cancellation of indigenous programs that will lead to continuous dependence of foreign weaponry.

plugwater

Knee jerk reactions!!

Can Jaguar or P-8 fire Brahmos ?

Both are different class and India is not dropping Brahmos in favor of Harpoon.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Guys,

See the difference in use of Brahmos and Harpoon. Brahmos will be used to take out strategic targets at short distances while Harpoon will be used to take out small tactical targets. It doesn't make sense to use an expensive Brahmos to target small ships when Harpoon can be used. Using Brahmos on small ships is an overkill.

Also look at the platforms on which Harpoon are going to be used from. Its the fighters which are involved in maritime roles. Brahmos so far can only be used on Su-30MKI air-borne platform which will not be used in maritime role.

brain_dead

More than the price is the cancellation of indigenous programs that will lead to continuous dependence of foreign weaponry.
I think it is well known fact that many of the indigenous programs were killed(for eg. trishul) so as to make way for foreign purchases.
I read one article saying that IAI has paid huge bribes to babus here Barak contract.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think it is well known fact that many of the indigenous programs were killed(for eg. trishul) so as to make way for foreign purchases.
I read one article saying that IAI has paid huge bribes to babus here Barak contract.
well i agree with you but trishul programme was cancelled(or put on hold) by drdo itself as it has failed many trials and ther was a serious problem with the seeker and engame avionics.but in the last two years drdo has decided to revive the project by taking the help of mbda in a joint developement project called maitri and the resulting missile will be a highly accurate low level quick reaction missile of range 15km and will be hybrid of trishul and mica though production will be taken up alone by bdl.

Crusader53

I think the NSM/JSM would be a far better Weapon than the US Harpoon. Which, like the Exocet is becoming dated........IMO

Rahul92

Guys,

See the difference in use of Brahmos and Harpoon. Brahmos will be used to take out strategic targets at short distances while Harpoon will be used to take out small tactical targets. It doesn't make sense to use an expensive Brahmos to target small ships when Harpoon can be used. Using Brahmos on small ships is an overkill.

Also look at the platforms on which Harpoon are going to be used from. Its the fighters which are involved in maritime roles. Brahmos so far can only be used on Su-30MKI air-borne platform which will not be used in maritime role.
Well i agree with ur point but instead of purchasing those harpoon's we can co-ordinate with Russia and produce the lighter version of Bhramos

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles